So just for kicks, where would you move?

Cordell

So let's say for the fun of it, where in this country would you want to live. I'm sure a lot of us on CR have lived other places, or at least visited more places then I have.

So for me working on cars for a living I'd want to be outside of the rust belt. Cost of living about the same or cheaper as Columbus. Hopefully not nearly as humid in the summer, and I wouldn't want to worry about floods, hurricanes, or earthquakes which pretty much rules out coastal type places. I keep thinking about northern Texas, or Oklahoma, some place like that. Any of you ever lived in a place like that? I'm also interested in Texas because if they threaten to succeed from the union I may get more interested LOL. I'm not really serious about the political crap.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So let's say for the fun of it, where in this country would you want to live. I'm sure a lot of us on CR have lived other places, or at least visited more places then I have.

So for me working on cars for a living I'd want to be outside of the rust belt. Cost of living about the same or cheaper as Columbus. Hopefully not nearly as humid in the summer, and I wouldn't want to worry about floods, hurricanes, or earthquakes which pretty much rules out coastal type places. I keep thinking about northern Texas, or Oklahoma, some place like that. Any of you ever lived in a place like that? I'm also interested in Texas because if they threaten to succeed from the union I may get more interested LOL. I'm not really serious about the political crap.

I live in DFW. FK Texas. The lack of rust is nice. But I feel like i'm surrounded by a bunch of mouth breathers. And I despise heat and traffic, of which, there is entirely too much of. I'd prefer pretty much anywhere 1000mi north. NE, Pacific NW, heck, gimme Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, wtf ever. Man, I hope I am not doomed to die in TX :(

And the secede thing...gtfo. Enter member berries. "Member what happened when the southern states tried to leave the union? Member?"

Edited by RC K9

If you want to leave the county you should settle down in Amsterdam. I've been there and that place is pretty dope. When you get the munchies there are plenty of places to get a bag of sugar containing a few donuts at 2am. Let me know if you need any info on the local joints.

Seattle. Or anywhere NW for that matter that isn't NoCal, mainly due to the cost of living.

If I wanted to actually move somewhere totally different climate wise it wouldn't be within the United States. Sweden, Switzerland, Luxembourg or Austria. Maybe some other Scandinavian country that doesn't shove those nose in everyone's shit.

Wife and I have this conversation a lot. Not that Ohio hasn't been interesting but honestly neither of us is from here and we have no real family nearby. We may buy a home here and stay longer, we may go further south.

Where would we live if I didn't have children:

New Orleans. We both loved the city when we lived there but the school system alternates from the worst in the country to the second worst in the country pretty regularly (Mississippi is the state it often swaps with and is a 15 minute drive from uptown). It's outside the rust belt but barely, No Problem Raceway is a close drive, Barber isn't that far for road racing, and it's just a fun weird town. FYI most locals leave for mardi-gras and the really hot summer months.

where would I live if money were no object?

Southern California. The weather is the draw mostly. But also So-cal is the cradle of car culture. Roth, Von Dutch, Barris, etc...they are all from so-cal.

Runner up, New York City because it is home.

Wife's top Pick: Dallas. She'd from Texas and lived in Houston, Dallas, Austin, and Amarillo (as well as Edmond, ok). she want's to be closer to her family which are currently in Dallas, but the no state taxes are huge draw. I personally hate Dallas because the overwhelming majority of it are new construction towns with nothing but subdivisions and strip malls and as a north easterner I feel weird if my town doesn't have a "main street". On the plus side Dallas is a car/bike crazy town and has great riding roads. Also their state politics suck, esp their governors. But the weather is So-Cal nice. If I ended up in texas I would almost prefer Houston because it's 3 hours from austin, 5 hours from new orleans, 3 hours from dallas, and has a lot more oil money and culture. Also it's on the gulf so my surfboard wouldn't go to waste like it is right now.

I can tell you from working on old junk in New Orleans that a lot more repairs focus on wiring and interior bits than mechanical these days. Sure the old cars still need stuff because they are old, but as long as you keep bushings lubed good, most of the work is on AC and electrical. Hot climates also tend to attract critters that like to live in hot cars at night when things cool off like snakes and cats.

My off the wall place our of left field pic is Seattle. I was there last year for my cousins wedding and the city is just unbelievable.

Out west for sure.

Colorado, Arizona, Lake Tahoe, Seattle would probably be my first choices. I have always liked the Carolina's too if I were to stay East. Maybe somewhere around Hilton Head.

I just think out west in the desert would be a pretty interesting place to live. Cost of living in AZ is pretty low too and you're a 4-5 hour drive to Vegas, Colorado, San Diego if you wanted to have cool long weekend somewhere else.

Myself and my extended in-laws have set up nests in Naples, FL...and while I love the weather and everything the Gulf has to offer, being close to the ocean just rips up unprotected metal to a degree I didn't anticipate.

Now, if you always have new rides, it's not a problem. Older vehicles - especially in garages or at least shaded car-ports - fare much better. But the sun mixes with sea-breeze to attack the last two cars I've had down there.

I'm sure Arizona/TX are the same, where any parking-lot sun exposure prematurely ages the car. If you have garage space, you're golden. If you're still parking cars outside like we all do here in Ohio, it's brutal.

I appreciate the fantasy aspect of this question, and I have loved AZ when I've been out to visit, but in reality I have a lot of friends/family Ohio and points east that prevent me from probably ever living west of the Mississippi. Great to visit Colorado, AZ, Cali...but I'll probably never live there.

We have a 3-5 year plan to move to coastal SC. Somewhere between Hilton Head and Charleston. Charleston makes sense work wise. Seasons, but not extreme winters, and the occasional hurricane excitement.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Pacific Northwest. We already have property there. The only thing that sucks is lots of hippie 55mph drivers and roads. Fuck anywhere I can't drive 75mph and be safe from tickets. Also those hippies are all liberal freaks. No thanks.

For the people saying texas doesn't have humidity...go live there. DFW has just as high humidity there as cbus with 100° temps. Houston has more humidity but cooler.

Houston has a bigger car scene that DFW also.

That being said if I were to move would be somewhere near the Tennesse/North Carolina region.

Too much family around here, but if I were to move it'd probably be somewhere north, Minnesota, Wisconsin, or Michigan. If it weren't a pain I'd probably think of jumping the boarder to Ontario or over in Alberta.