Anyone take a course in building computers? - for kids...

TTQ B4U

Looking for a course vs just doing it at home. My 13yr old would like to take an official class and have instruction on building a computer, etc. I'm not sure if anyone here has taken or know of a good place or course to do this.

I think it would be cool for him to do and if the end result is a gaming system that would be even better. He can then build and assemble what I buy in a classroom setting while learning.

Any good courses? Microcenter? vocational schools? Thanks!

Looking for a course vs just doing it at home. My 13yr old would like to take an official class and have instruction on building a computer, etc. I'm not sure if anyone here has taken or know of a good place or course to do this.

I think it would be cool for him to do and if the end result is a gaming system that would be even better. He can then build and assemble what I buy in a classroom setting while learning.

Any good courses? Microcenter? vocational schools? Thanks!

Eastland has it but not until your like 16 iirc through the schools , are you looking for strictly a classroom setting or just to teach him?

I really honk just getting him a cheap PC on Craigslist and letting him tear it down and putting it back together is the way to go.

Set him up with some YouTube channels and a static matte and a good light/headlamp

Once you build one - it's super cake after that. And the way kids are with tech nowadays I'll bet he can figure it out pretty easily

I really honk just getting him a cheap PC on Craigslist and letting him tear it down and putting it back together is the way to go.

Set him up with some YouTube channels and a static matte and a good light/headlamp

Once you build one - it's super cake after that. And the way kids are with tech nowadays I'll bet he can figure it out pretty easily

I second this. Another option is if you are looking for a PC have him talk to someone at microcenter. In my experience they would be happy to give him all the information he would need amd if they are slow im sure they would show him the components and help him.

Buy him a junker off craigslist and let him learn about it... If you want, I would be more then happy to come over sometime and teach him a few things about the internal components and how they work. A lot of that stuff though is learned through experience and time. Socket types, PCI slots, clock speed, GPU types, etc... are all learned out in the real world. I would lose my damn mind if I were in a classroom learning about computer hardware.

Places like Toms hardware LINK and Linus Tech Tips LINK are great places to learn and test on your own stuff. Check to see if his school will let him hang out after school with one of the IT workers if he really wants to get serious... thats how I got started.

The high school I work at currently is talking to me about teaching a hardware class for seniors where they learn for two quarters about hardware, then the final is to build a Micro-ATX system and install Linux. The students would keep the systems and take them to college as basic systems.

Give me an AMD FX-9590 and some liquid nitrogen.... and i'll show you a good time, haha.

I would recommend Linus Tech Tips for this. They do frequent system builds and and they do a great job of explaining things. if you happen to have $30,000 laying around then he could easily replicate these builds.

Linus Tech Tips: