Adding Bluetooth to a car

Mojoe

With everything going wireless and BT being standard in most cars these days, I found myself wanting it in my 2011 STi. The car comes with BT, but it is only for phone calls and will not steam media. I have a AV kit installed, with USB, and AV ports. The phone has to be plugged in to USB, and is is not a USB that charges, which is frustrating. Also, with the iPhone 7 not having a headphone jack, and not wanting to manage the adapter for it, I just wanted to streamline things in the car.

I installed this in about 3 minutes and all my issues are resolved.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KT4QHSQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It uses the standard red and white AV to headphone jack wire, which is included in the kit. If your car has a AUX plug in, I would say you could just connect to that with a standard AUX cord to the unit. The unit is is also set up to run it reverse, and has the red and white AV ports. It's kind of hard to go wrong. It is powered by USB to mini USB into the unit, and that wire is included too. I have in plugged in to a USB cigarette lighter adapter for power.

Initially, I was looking into this for my shop stereo and the sound bar in my basement. Then I thought it would work in the car too. So, I bought three of them and everything is easy going. Only frustration is I wish I could rename them as 1,2,and 3 for connecting.

Hope this helps anyone who may be looking to do the same.

Not trying to be a troll or anything here, but why are people still buying the iphone 7 if its failing to meet expectations? There are literally hundreds of alternatives that will do just as much and more without the need for unnecessary adapters and converters.

I just picked up a Bluetooth/FM modulator dongle for $10 last week through a Kinja/Amazon sale. Plugs into the cig lighter, connects with my iPhone 7, has a mic and does a great job taking calls...I thought my $16 JETech headphone/FM modulator was great but this thing is killer. I should've bought 3.

http://deals.kinja.com/add-bluetooth-to-any-car-for-just-10-no-aux-jack-requ-1788578133

Not trying to be a troll or anything here, but why are people still buying the iphone 7 if its failing to meet expectations? There are literally hundreds of alternatives that will do just as much and more without the need for unnecessary adapters and converters.

I got a 32GB iPhone 7 to replace my banged-up iPhone 5 through Sprint for $200 online. We are an Apple family, so my wife won't let me go off to a Samsung or other device (linked calendars, photo-sharing, group texts with CC&C guys...)

Why not just put a new head unit in the car that's Bluetooth ready.

New HU's are trash. Dongles allow me to interface with factory equipment without cutting or rewiring ('07 Cadillac with an odd-size, '78 Lincoln with a functioning 2-knob factory 4-speaker system). People at CC&C are far more impressed with a functioning Bluetooth phone connection in an old Lincoln without a single wire to run, and I am too. :)

I have not paid for a iPhone since the i3, and could care less for with or without headphone jack. In a car, it makes no difference for why I posted this anyways.

Why not just put a new head unit in the car that's Bluetooth ready.

In all the cars I flipped last year I put this model in. It's cheap Bluetooth ready and has very good sound quality and connectivity. The mic it comes with can be placed and calls are clear. At $119 plus $15 for wire harness it's a no brainer

https://www.ebay.com/itm/291882975255

Brandon and Brian hit it. $12.99 fix. This was a 3 minute install. Not worth changing the head unit. There are features in the stock system linked into the NAV that I do like. Can't justify the cost, when I get what I wanted for $12.99.

There are several options out there. This is just the one that I felt worked best for what I wanted to do, given I put two others on other music sources at the house.

Many people out there would be willing to admit that the lack of a headphone jack is inconvenient, but many of them don't know any better. Sure, You would agree that a car dealership ripping you off is wrong, but if I take you in the back, pop the hood of your car, and point at things and say some fancy words, then how are you going to argue with me? The new iPhone is no different and a USB-C to 3.5mm adaptor is included in the box which most people will get along just fine with. The problem here is that you COULD walk into an Apple store right now and buy a brand new Macbook Pro and an iPhone and NOT be able to connect the two out of the box... that is down just ridiculous.

The point of my rant is that even though Apple has really fallen behind the curve with its products, the mass population could honestly give two shits because the brand is so well established that people will just buy their products because they have Apple's name on them. When I purchase a product or electronic device I normally look at what the best device is for the dollar to performance value.

*sigh* and don't even get me started on the new Macbooks... I could rant about that for dayzzzzzzz

Anyways... Sorry OP... I got nothing

I just picked up a Bluetooth/FM modulator dongle for $10 last week through a Kinja/Amazon sale. Plugs into the cig lighter, connects with my iPhone 7, has a mic and does a great job taking calls...I thought my $16 JETech headphone/FM modulator was great but this thing is killer. I should've bought 3.

http://deals.kinja.com/add-bluetooth-to-any-car-for-just-10-no-aux-jack-requ-1788578133

I've been kicking around the idea of buying a new head unit for my truck just to get bluetooth. I picked this up on amazon for $21.99 (not sure why it wasn't $10 anymore but still cheaper than $99 original price) should be here by friday.

I bought one of these for shniggles. It was under $8 from Menards and plugs into AUX input on my stock head unit.

3018825_P_.jpg

Sound quality is good, has a built in mic for phone calls and the cost is great!

I bought one of these for shniggles. It was under $8 from Menards and plugs into AUX input on my stock head unit.

3018825_P_.jpg

Sound quality is good, has a built in mic for phone calls and the cost is great!

8$? Damn thats a low price!. My aux port is in the center console so it would be out of sight. Ill have to stop in next time i drive by one.

• 3 weeks later...
With everything going wireless and BT being standard in most cars these days, I found myself wanting it in my 2011 STi. The car comes with BT, but it is only for phone calls and will not steam media. I have a AV kit installed, with USB, and AV ports. The phone has to be plugged in to USB, and is is not a USB that charges, which is frustrating. Also, with the iPhone 7 not having a headphone jack, and not wanting to manage the adapter for it, I just wanted to streamline things in the car.

I installed this in about 3 minutes and all my issues are resolved.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KT4QHSQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It uses the standard red and white AV to headphone jack wire, which is included in the kit. If your car has a AUX plug in, I would say you could just connect to that with a standard AUX cord to the unit. The unit is is also set up to run it reverse, and has the red and white AV ports. It's kind of hard to go wrong. It is powered by USB to mini USB into the unit, and that wire is included too. I have in plugged in to a USB cigarette lighter adapter for power.

Initially, I was looking into this for my shop stereo and the sound bar in my basement. Then I thought it would work in the car too. So, I bought three of them and everything is easy going. Only frustration is I wish I could rename them as 1,2,and 3 for connecting.

Hope this helps anyone who may be looking to do the same.

Hey, I bought one of these for my Honda Fit following this thread. It works great, but does anyone know if you can set it to just turn on when power is applied? It's a very small annoyance to have to turn it on by hand when I get in the car. It might be in the instructions, but I accidentally tossed them when cleaning my car the other day.

This thing is awesome. I have it set to 88.1FM and a present on my stock radio, I just leave it plugged in and anytime i want to listen to music from my phone i just hit play. Way better, easier and cheaper than getting a new head unit.

The audio is usually pretty clear, sometimes it gets a bit fuzzy but I'm sure this could be fixed if I searched around for another frequency.

Bought one of these a long time ago for the RAV. Pretty cheap, as well at under $20.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RH29CJO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There's an extra AUX and cig lighter in bottom section of the center console of the RAV so everything, minus the controls of course, is nicely hidden and tidy.

It has been stellar. Phone controls, mic, stream music and whatever other audio from your phone, Auto on/off, auto pairs, everything is clear and works correctly. More importantly, the music streamed doesn't take a huge hit in quality like some bt streamers.

Also, f those fm/am modulators.