Amazon Echo users?

HotCarl

Anyone here have an Amazon Echo or similar device? would you recommend it to others?

Thinking about buying one for my GF but i cant help but think it's one of those cool gadgets you use a handful of times then it just sits on the shelf.

She hosts friends over often and it would be nice to have a single music player that has other features as well.

We have an echo dot in the kitchen. We have it connected via Bluetooth to an undercabinet stereo. The dot sits on top of the fridge out of the way. We use it constantly. Listen to music and I get a sports/weather/news briefing in the morning while I'm eating breakfast. I have ordering turned off because there are horror stories of kids ordering $30 bags of jellybeans

Anyone here have an Amazon Echo or similar device? would you recommend it to others?

Thinking about buying one for my GF but i cant help but think it's one of those cool gadgets you use a handful of times then it just sits on the shelf.

She hosts friends over often and it would be nice to have a single music player that has other features as well.

We have an Echo in the kitchen and love it. We use it all the time. You won't regret it. The speaker is decent, especially for a family area. I literally just bought 4 more dots today for other rooms including the kids.

The best thing we use the main one for is to add items to our shopping lists, calender's, play music and we do order items through it too.

We love our echo.

In fact we bought a set of dots for the office and kitchen as well and are giving them as Christmas gifts. we've had he echo for about 5 months now and it is used many times a day

The dot speaker is ok but not as good as the echo.

But the dot gives you a ton more flexibility because you can buy even better speakers that are more easily hideable and hide the dot and connect them via Bluetooth. A dot and some nice Bluetooth speakers are cheaper than an echo.

I think they are cool. My buddy has his whole house set up to be controlled by it,. lights, thermostat, music, etc. I like to randomly just say "Alexia, play Careless Whisper by George Michaels" it entertains me. I almost want to buy one just to entertain myself.

This. Plus it comes with a voice remote that allows control of it from other rooms so in case you're farther away.

Save

The dot2 microphone is more advanced than the echo. Its really cool. If you can hear it, it can hear you. I can control it throughout my whole first floor.

The dot2 microphone is more advanced than the echo.

true. Alexa is great at listening too but the remote has volume and song controls and when we had just one we kept the remote up in the bedroom so I could adjust Nest units, one in the bedroom for our secondary heating and the main floor units without having to get my glasses and look at my phone. I would even wake my son by turning his lights on with her out of ear-shot. Both are cool regardless.

I will say this about he dot/echo mic- I feel like the dot is slower to respond.. that surprises me that it's supposed to be better.

Nathan and I both think it's slower to respond.

As far as renaming it.. you can now use Alexa, echo or Amazon as wake words, but I too wish I could personalize it to whatever we wanted..

We have an Echo in the kitchen and love it. We use it all the time. You won't regret it. The speaker is decent, especially for a family area. I literally just bought 4 more dots today for other rooms including the kids.

The best thing we use the main one for is to add items to our shopping lists, calender's, play music and we do order items through it too.

What calendar do you use that it can keep track of your appointments? My GF lives and dies by her daily planner and keeps everything in it, it would be a pain to transfer all of that information but might be easier in the long run.

What calendar do you use that it can keep track of your appointments? My GF lives and dies by her daily planner and keeps everything in it, it would be a pain to transfer all of that information but might be easier in the long run.

I just have my Google calender paired to it

From what I understand the only difference between the Dot and the Echo is the speaker (and big price difference).

Sonos had a sale on their small satellite speakers, i wonder if I could pair them with an echo for music, has anyone tried this?

The speaker is the main difference. The Dot is currently Gen2 so the Mic is upgraded but I am sure it will go to the echo soon.

I will say this about he dot/echo mic- I feel like the dot is slower to respond.. that surprises me that it's supposed to be better.

Nathan and I both think it's slower to respond.

As far as renaming it.. you can now use Alexa, echo or Amazon as wake words, but I too wish I could personalize it to whatever we wanted..

Like slower to wake? Or slower pulling up what you want? The way I understand it is that literally everything is done within the Amazon cloud. The device is nothing more than a hardware interface. Maybe check your Wi-Fi where you have the dot?

I just have my Google calender paired to it

Same for me as well

Like slower to wake? Or slower pulling up what you want? The way I understand it is that literally everything is done within the Amazon cloud. The device is nothing more than a hardware interface. Maybe check your Wi-Fi where you have the dot?

Slower to wake- sometimes I have to say it's name 2x

I have mine setup in the kitchen as well, and also have a simple WeMo switch that turns on a light.. Like is when coming in late and just tell Alexa to turn on the kitchen light..

I also have ordering disabled to stop mistakes/dumb people (Like Ryan) : )

We all know the Geeky IT people are a bit un nerved (They only understand 1 & 0's)

Edited by Second Gen
Add