Mini Cooper as track car

Lauren

You can get Abarths for stupid low money if they're somewhat abused but there are key issues to look out for. the aftermarket is decent and handling can be improved with some pretty cheap chassis braces. You won't break even for sure, but it's a similar vein to the Mini. Less of an "on rails" feel and more of a "holy shit this car wants me to drive it like a Ferrari but it can't do any of that shit" feel

Let's talk about this, Alex...I was thinking of you last week when I read that you can get a new Abarth Cabriolet for under $21k, or something like that.

How cheap are Abarths running these days? I really enjoyed driving one with you when they first came out but couldn't stomach the price.

As long as you plan ahead on replacing quite a bit they are pretty capable cars. They certainly have their issues, hopefully one you are looking at has already had a lot of the factory breaking points already fixed. If not, you can look forward to a very expensive "Off-Season".

Not sure exactly what price range you are in but a forced induction mini with some good suspension/wheels/tires/brakes is one hell of a track package. Our "Shop Racer" 2015 base model mini is incredible to run around track.

Let's talk about this, Alex...I was thinking of you last week when I read that you can get a new Abarth Cabriolet for under $21k, or something like that.

How cheap are Abarths running these days? I really enjoyed driving one with you when they first came out but couldn't stomach the price.

Well I can give you some advice but unfortunately my time as an insider came to an end at the beginning of the month, I'm no longer in the car business.

You're correct, though, FIAT has completely restructured the 500 hatchback line pricing and models. They now ONLY have the Pop, Lounge, and Abarth trim lines as opposed to Pop, Easy, Sport, Lounge, Turbo, Abarth, Pop Cabrio, Easy Cabrio, Lounge Cabrio, Abarth Cabrio, and 2-3 "special" editions per year.

However, the Cabrio is now an option that can be added on, I believe the price is between $1700-1900 as opposed to the previous $4k markup for the 500C equivalent of any particular version. They also completely restructured pricing; essentially the previous MSRPs started between $16995-$27995 between Pop and Abarth Cabrio, with a widely varying degree of rebates assigned to each individual trim line. Now they're starting the Pop at $16k, and the Abarth starts at $20k, but they're dramatically reducing the amount of rebate they offer.

If you're looking for a fun droptop Abarth, you'll probably laugh at this but one of the bizarre special editions is the best deal out there; the GQ edition. It was essentially an Abarth Cabrio with Sport wheels, Sport badges, Abarth bumpers, and unique Sport seats and steering wheel. It completely missed whatever mark they set for it in showrooms in 2014, and you can still probably find new ones rotting on dealer lots. Do not buy those. Look at ones with some miles on them because you can practically steal them. The buyers of Abarth Cabrios tend to keep them a while longer than the GQs, the GQs are easily found if you search for Convertible Abarths on Autotrader/Cars.com, and you can easily find a nice one with probably 10-20k miles on it for <$14k. I would bet with some determination you could find a sub-30k mile example that's been well treated for $11-12k. And they're all 2014 models because that's the only year they made the GQ, but they overproduced them like mad.

Well I can give you some advice but unfortunately my time as an insider came to an end at the beginning of the month, I'm no longer in the car business.

You're correct, though, FIAT has completely restructured the 500 hatchback line pricing and models. They now ONLY have the Pop, Lounge, and Abarth trim lines as opposed to Pop, Easy, Sport, Lounge, Turbo, Abarth, Pop Cabrio, Easy Cabrio, Lounge Cabrio, Abarth Cabrio, and 2-3 "special" editions per year.

However, the Cabrio is now an option that can be added on, I believe the price is between $1700-1900 as opposed to the previous $4k markup for the 500C equivalent of any particular version. They also completely restructured pricing; essentially the previous MSRPs started between $16995-$27995 between Pop and Abarth Cabrio, with a widely varying degree of rebates assigned to each individual trim line. Now they're starting the Pop at $16k, and the Abarth starts at $20k, but they're dramatically reducing the amount of rebate they offer.

If you're looking for a fun droptop Abarth, you'll probably laugh at this but one of the bizarre special editions is the best deal out there; the GQ edition. It was essentially an Abarth Cabrio with Sport wheels, Sport badges, Abarth bumpers, and unique Sport seats and steering wheel. It completely missed whatever mark they set for it in showrooms in 2014, and you can still probably find new ones rotting on dealer lots. Do not buy those. Look at ones with some miles on them because you can practically steal them. The buyers of Abarth Cabrios tend to keep them a while longer than the GQs, the GQs are easily found if you search for Convertible Abarths on Autotrader/Cars.com, and you can easily find a nice one with probably 10-20k miles on it for <$14k. I would bet with some determination you could find a sub-30k mile example that's been well treated for $11-12k. And they're all 2014 models because that's the only year they made the GQ, but they overproduced them like mad.

Thanks for the heads-up! GQ Edition, LOL. Hey, if you're going to get one, doe...

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=43220&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fsearchresults.xhtml%3Fzip%3D43220%26showcaseOwnerId%3D0%26mmt%3D%255BFIAT%255B%255D%255B%255D%255D%26startYear%3D2014%26makeCode1%3DFIAT%26vehicleStyleCodes%3DCONVERT%26firstRecord%3D0%26endYear%3D2014%26transmissionCode%3DMAN%26searchRadius%3D0%26makeCodeList%3DFIAT%26transmissionCodes%3DMAN&showcaseOwnerId=0&startYear=2014&numRecords=25&makeCode1=FIAT&vehicleStyleCodes=CONVERT&firstRecord=0&endYear=2014&searchRadius=0&listingId=437226794&makeCode1=FIAT&modelCode1=FIAT500

Can't hate that much...there was an Etienne Aigner-edition 1991 Volkswagen Cabriolet with a stick near my condo in Naples for $5k...yes, it's a bitch-basket, but that red-wine-color and interior... :lol:

Thanks for the heads-up! GQ Edition, LOL. Hey, if you're going to get one, doe...

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=43220&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fsearchresults.xhtml%3Fzip%3D43220%26showcaseOwnerId%3D0%26mmt%3D%255BFIAT%255B%255D%255B%255D%255D%26startYear%3D2014%26makeCode1%3DFIAT%26vehicleStyleCodes%3DCONVERT%26firstRecord%3D0%26endYear%3D2014%26transmissionCode%3DMAN%26searchRadius%3D0%26makeCodeList%3DFIAT%26transmissionCodes%3DMAN&showcaseOwnerId=0&startYear=2014&numRecords=25&makeCode1=FIAT&vehicleStyleCodes=CONVERT&firstRecord=0&endYear=2014&searchRadius=0&listingId=437226794&makeCode1=FIAT&modelCode1=FIAT500

Can't hate that much...there was an Etienne Aigner-edition 1991 Volkswagen Cabriolet with a stick near my condo in Naples for $5k...yes, it's a bitch-basket, but that red-wine-color and interior... :lol:

There's your deal! That car ain't too bad, I would put money on it being a manager's demo to start (2500 miles at sale date) and then going into loaner service for the remaining 4000 miles. FIAT's service loaner program makes it very easy to dump the pricing on those, and with the ~6500-7k rebates those had on them at the end of the model year, that pricing is rock solid.

Honestly I would consider buying that exact car if I was in the market for something right now. You will not find a more fun car for $12k with that kind of mileage on it, and still under warranty.

At Mid Ohio, there was a guy that would drive a Mini in from NY for the weekend. He seemed to have fun.

The first time I did the mid ohio driving school when I was 16 there was a guy who drive down from Ontario in his Cooper S. Never pushed his car too hard, never the fastest on the track, but I think he had more fun than anyone else just tossing that little car around the track and then driving it back home.