Mini Cooper as track car

Lauren

Hey

Thinking about picking up a Mini Cooper s (r53) this afternoon. It's a supercharged and 6 speed manual. How do they do at auto X events? This spring/summer I'm going to do weekend racing events. I need something other then work and family.

Anyway I used to have an 06 S but it was an auto and I used it strictly for commuting. But now I'm think as a fun car to drive to work and to drive to an event and drive home.

I found one that needs a bit of work but I have all winter to get it back into shape. I'm familiar with areas of concern.

One of my friends got a FREE low mile first year cooper S. He planned to use it as a track car, and literally every single event he was going to go to, something broke/went wrong and he couldn't race. Either his is a super-lemon or they're mega piles of turds.

Feels sportyish just farting around town, so I guess it's better than a minivan or rental truck for autox? Never seen one place higher than bottom midpack at even poverty slow events.

Here's one I was at with 3 coopers, couple placed mid-pack, if that's good enough for you? https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19Pot191__N9Ak2KJ-tYkFNSBac_SnDBrs4J587Bsgu8/edit#gid=47

They are capable cars, but as rymer said the owners usually can't drive.

Some maintenance, attention to brakes and suspension, and some good tires would yield a pretty enjoyable car, I'd think. This is assuming you can deal with the fail of FWD.

I'm guessing you're not lucky enough for yours to have the optional LSD of the early cars?

In all reality it sounds cool, until you have to put a clutch in it, or do basically anything to the engine. Those things eat thermostat housings which suck for a DIY'er to do. Clutches aren't fun or easy, in a shop they aren't awful, BUT that because lift and room.

Oh, and it's front wheel drive, what the fuck sort of track car can that make?? :gabe:

It's probably off the table. I sent seller an offer and they accepted sight unseen. Now they don't want to accept my offer and are hacking me around.

What other small two door coupes are out there where I can stuff two kidlets in the back of if need be can be fun track cars. Audi TT?

Having owned several e36's and e36 m3 I do not want to go back to that platform.

I'm really looking for something quirky ala Mini Cooper. What's most important is finding something I can sell later and break even or make a profit on. I have to pass this off to the wife as a flip that stays a little longer then most LOL

Having owned several e36's and e36 m3 I do not want to go back to that platform.

I'm really looking for something quirky ala Mini Cooper. What's most important is finding something I can sell later and break even or make a profit on. I have to pass this off to the wife as a flip that stays a little longer then most LOL

You can get Abarths for stupid low money if they're somewhat abused but there are key issues to look out for. the aftermarket is decent and handling can be improved with some pretty cheap chassis braces. You won't break even for sure, but it's a similar vein to the Mini. Less of an "on rails" feel and more of a "holy shit this car wants me to drive it like a Ferrari but it can't do any of that shit" feel

Mr2? Brz/frs?

Mr2 no. I left that platform back in the early 2000's and would never look back. Plus it's only a two seater.

Frs I can't get into plus they are like 15k. Not looking to spend that much.

I'm looking to find a car that needs some work that I can you with in the garage. I've found quite a few base coopers that need new trannies which is cool because I can easily swap in the S 6 speed. I found a S that needs a bit of work but seller is being an idiot.