Garage heating?

zeitgeist57

Best value for garage heating?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Best value for garage heating?

• Plug-in electric heat (infrared or radiant)
    • Ceiling-mount electric
    • Ceiling-mount natural gas
    • Propane heater

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is the 5000 watt heater I was referring to! Can anyone tell me how fast they use their 20lb propane tanks in their better setups? Stopping and driving 20 min to get another one at 15-20 every day is not a good option for me- I have considered getting a larger tank out of sight and fill the little ones with that as the $/lbs is a lot cheaper...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are running it none stop for 10-12 hrs something is wrong. I cant even run mine for 30 minutes without being too hot. Menards tanks are under 16$ by the way, just replaced 2 of my tanks.

I wasn't running it non stop but def more than 30 min a time. It was very very cold outside but typically I do not drag out the heater unless it is so painful I would get hypothermia if not

I have always worked in non heated garages and while I don't like it can survive and be functional on most days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 2 1/2 car garage you could squeeze 3 cars in. I had a gas line ran from my house to the garage around 30ft in length, insulated walls, drywall, then Mr. Heater 60k Btu. At this point costs were getting alittle high so i just used the thickest plastic sheet I could buy and used that as a ceiling. 4 years and plastic still isnt brittle. I used a 2 hour timer as a switch just in case i forgot to turn off the heater.

Heater 500 new

Gas line 900 done in one day

Drywall, plastic cant remember

I cut the hole in the roof myself, added the stove pipe and had left over copper pipe to connect from the gas tap to the heater. Total time one long day - minus drywalling

Would do it again. 70 degrees when its in the teens outside is awesome. Plus when the dudes come over we can carry on out there without the lady of the house gettin upset or judging

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I have a 2 1/2 car garage you could squeeze 3 cars in. I had a gas line ran from my house to the garage around 30ft in length, insulated walls, drywall, then Mr. Heater 60k Btu. At this point costs were getting alittle high so i just used the thickest plastic sheet I could buy and used that as a ceiling. 4 years and plastic still isnt brittle. I used a 2 hour timer as a switch just in case i forgot to turn off the heater.

Heater 500 new

Gas line 900 done in one day

Drywall, plastic cant remember

I cut the hole in the roof myself, added the stove pipe and had left over copper pipe to connect from the gas tap to the heater. Total time one long day - minus drywalling

Would do it again. 70 degrees when its in the teens outside is awesome. Plus when the dudes come over we can carry on out there without the lady of the house gettin upset or judging

Holy shit...you paid $900 for the gas line?!

I ran mine from my basement, drilled through foundation, had a nice box with shut off put in and everything for $250.

I ran mine from my basement, drilled through foundation, had a nice box with shut off put in and everything for $250.

In for specific details on how you did this yourself. Did you use black iron pipes or yellow corrugated?

I have my garage heated up here in Alaska, it is a 4 car garage and I have one of these units:

http://www.modinehvac.com/web/products/residential-gashydronic-unit-heaters-hotdawg.htm

It is a ceiling mounted Nat Gas unit, that is hooked up to a Thermostat in the garage. Keeps my place warm as can be around 65-70 degrees.

In for specific details on how you did this yourself. Did you use black iron pipes or yellow corrugated?

I actually didn't do it myself, had a certified plumber do it. Yes, he's a friend, but he usually charges me for labor lol.

It is black iron pipes btw. You can T off somewhere existing, get a sweet drill bit and run that shit right through your foundation (that's what he did).

I can see if he's interested in doing it again, but he does limited side work now.

I have another line running to my grill out back. Fucking awesome...I now have 4 unused propane tanks in my shed "just in case".

I actually didn't do it myself, had a certified plumber do it. Yes, he's a friend, but he usually charges me for labor lol.

It is black iron pipes btw. You can T off somewhere existing, get a sweet drill bit and run that shit right through your foundation (that's what he did).

I can see if he's interested in doing it again, but he does limited side work now.

I have another line running to my grill out back. Fucking awesome...I now have 4 unused propane tanks in my shed "just in case".

I'm interested in a quote if he's doing side work.

Apologies for the confusion. I paid 3 guys a total of $900 for someone to tap my main line, dig the ditch and run the gas line line to my garage.

Everything inside from the garage i already had and did myself.

Yep, I was contracting/war profitering at the time in the middle east. I was home for 7 days and thought it was a good deal (they came out the same day). I wasnt concerned with a deal just legal, and quick.