Garage heating?

zeitgeist57

Best value for garage heating?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Best value for garage heating?

• Plug-in electric heat (infrared or radiant)
    • Ceiling-mount electric
    • Ceiling-mount natural gas
    • Propane heater

Years ago, 15 or more, a friend was upgrading his house furnace to a high efficiency unit. He gave me the old one that was in perfect working condition. I set in the corner of my 24' x 30' garage, tied into the gas line in the house, and made a couple of elbows to aim the air towards the center of the garage.

Nice and quiet, no need to refill or exchange propane bottles, no stink. I keep it at 60 degrees and turn it up to 70 when I'm out here working.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've gone thru this and I'm still using my "temporary" solution as it's worked well.

Do you already have 220v run to the garage? If so, then getting a proper electric heater would be a lot easier. If not, then consider that as it's probably more expensive to run the 220 than to run a gas line.

If you run a perminant gas heater you'll need to install a vent, likely cutting a hole/vent in the roof.

How's the insulation in your garage? If it's decent you'll get away with the tank top unit. My Janky solution is that I use a tank top dual burner with a house fan behind it to help push the warm air a bit. Works well enough for my needs propane is $16 for a tank exchange at Menards.

I use a Mr heater i think its 18,000 btu and just runs off the smaller propane tanks and i also have a hookup for the bigger tanks. Works well and can use it for other things and has a fan that pushes the air

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-MH18B-Portable-Propane/dp/B0002WRHE8/ref=pd_lpo_201_tr_t_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=ZZTMHVD7F1NC6QB26DFZ

I've got this, if you want to give it a try. It does great in my (drafty) garage. In storage I often wish it was a tank-mounted unit, but I imagine there is some performance trade-off for the convenience (could be wrong).

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Dyna-Glo-Delux-30K-60K-BTU-LP-Forced-Air-Propane-Portable-Heater-RMC-FA60DGD/202922773

Keep in mind, they go on sale for ~$60 or so new every once in a while.

The previous owner of my house already ran a gas line from the house to the garage so I just picked this up off craigslist a while back for around $80 and it works good. Older than shit but in an hour it will go from 30 to 55.

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk314/buck531/garage/heater-1.jpg

I use a Mr heater i think its 18,000 btu and just runs off the smaller propane tanks and i also have a hookup for the bigger tanks. Works well and can use it for other things and has a fan that pushes the air

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-MH18B-Portable-Propane/dp/B0002WRHE8/ref=pd_lpo_201_tr_t_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=ZZTMHVD7F1NC6QB26DFZ

Looks like one of the better temporary or occasional use ones I've seen.

The ceiling mount electrics are AWESOME. Keeps it totally out of your way, never needs refilling or anything like a tank setup.

My dad has one in his attached 2 car and he just ran 220 up from the panel to a switch box so we could be sure the stat wouldnt trip it on when we didnt want it or if we forgot to turn the knob down.

I will say heating from up high is nice....it blows onto the car some and can help keep it warmer, especially if you are trying to wax or something.

In this old pic you can see it up in the corner there past the Mustang (RIP :( )

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a299/iwashmycar/mustang/PICT0597.jpg

Clay, you live in UA be classy. Talk to Duff, get him to find you a used ng furnace, tie it into your current system, be awesome.

I bought Buck531's old NG wall-mount heater a few years back...but I ain't running $800+ worth of gas line to make a garage heater work...Already scrapped it since I couldn't give it away.

I do have 220v running to the garage to power my air-compressor and welder...may make a junction box and run a line up to the ceiling to add an electric, AND use a tank-top or torpedo propane heater for times when I really need it.

How is your garage insulated? Might be best to start there. Most are open walls and rafters. Get the walls and ceiling insulated, might be a few hundred bucks but should keep the temp better. Then look into a heating device IMO.

I've got drywall and insulation all around. Ranch-style house so garage ceiling shares insulated roof space with the main house. It's cool in the winter with the old-but-insulated 2-car-sized garage door opening.

Clay-

I also have been recently researching this... I have used a torpedo propane heater that feeds off of a grill tank the past few winters. It will provide sufficient heat but really uses up tanks- a long day (10-12 hours) wrenching will use almost 3 tanks or ~ $60.00 when it is about 15 degrees outside and the heater on its lowest setting so I don't know how efficient they are. Also the door does have to be open about 6" which will use even more propane as I ran it closed and it built up to the point before I had an uncontrollable coughing fit until I opened the door and went outside.

Garage forum/journal seems to favor the FAHRENHEIT 5000 watt electric heaters or the cheaper rebranded equivalents but I haven't gotten any further than this yet...

Edited by hpfiend

insulation is key, but as well a ceiling fan is great to keep the warm air pushed down, and keeping it circulated.

i heat my pole barn 60x40 with the Mr. Heater Big Maxx propane hanging heater, my barn is insulated, and i have 4 ceiling fans i usually keep on low speed to keep the warm air circulated. it will easily hold a 70 + degree temp.

i keep the thermostat set to 50 degrees when I'm not around

Clay-

I also have been recently researching this... I have used a torpedo propane heater that feeds off of a grill tank the past few winters. It will provide sufficient heat but really uses up tanks- a long day (10-12 hours) wrenching will use almost 3 tanks or ~ $60.00 when it is about 15 degrees outside and the heater on its lowest setting so I don't know how efficient they are. Also the door does have to be open about 6" which will use even more propane as I ran it closed and it built up to the point before I had an uncontrollable coughing fit until I opened the door and went outside.

Garage forum/journal seems to favor the FAHRENHEIT 5000 watt electric heaters or the cheaper rebranded equivalents but I haven't gotten any further than this yet...

If you are running it none stop for 10-12 hrs something is wrong. I cant even run mine for 30 minutes without being too hot. Menards tanks are under 16$ by the way, just replaced 2 of my tanks.

Clay-

Not doubting anything you're saying. But I just want to throw out another alternative.

As stated earlier, I plan on running a 200k BTU DynaGlo Propane heater this winter. Propane is just personal preference for me. I plan on tying it into my main house (500gal) tank that is located just behind my barn. To me, if a person is able to do this, they should. It's a heck of a lot cheaper to run this way after the initial buy-in.

For example, I just had my tank filled for $1.469/gal. 60lb of propane (3 tanks) = 14.1gal x $1.469 = $20.71.

Not to bad IMO for a days worth of heating.

Just food for thought.

insulation is key, but as well a ceiling fan is great to keep the warm air pushed down, and keeping it circulated.

i heat my pole barn 60x40 with the Mr. Heater Big Maxx propane hanging heater, my barn is insulated, and i have 4 ceiling fans i usually keep on low speed to keep the warm air circulated. it will easily hold a 70 + degree temp.

i keep the thermostat set to 50 degrees when I'm not around

^^ this. I kicked ours up to 65 the other night while washing the van and by the time I was done it was 72 in the garage and I was sweating. Not bad considering it was 35 outside.

Unless your garage is drafty or poorly insulated, one you kick it up to 65-70 degrees it will usually hover pretty warm for a while. Especially if you're working on something. I know for me if it's above 65 out there and I'm working on something it's perfect.

My garage is usually warmer then the inside of my house. Im on propane with this.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc178/1fstws6/20161204_202100_zpsiicf3ats.jpg

I have one of these installed in my dads attached garage that runs on Nat. Gas....Infared works well, but its a different kind of head where it heats opjects, not the air. They work, but feels like "garage" heating if that makes sense to you.

I have a gas line plumbed in the garage. I'll be sure to review this thread when I'm home tonight. Would love to get a heater up for the winter.

If you need any help picking, buying or installing a heating setup in your garage...Hit me up, I kind of do this kind of work for a living.

How is your garage insulated? Might be best to start there. Most are open walls and rafters. Get the walls and ceiling insulated, might be a few hundred bucks but should keep the temp better. Then look into a heating device IMO.

An enclosed and well insulated garage really opens up your options IMO.

I think you should look into a Mini-split Heat pump system. All electric, have heating and cooling and they dont cost much to run due to almost all being very higly efficient. If you want to explore this option, Ill be happy to help you out. They might have a bit more upfront cost, but for ease of use and the fact that it will do heat and AC......IMO its worth spending a bit more.

per my call Clay, here's the heater I ended up going with. changed gears based on reviews which were solid but also the guy I have installing the new 220V outlet has installed a dozen or more of these without issue.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Fahrenheat-5-000-Watt-Unit-Heater-FUH54/202043073

You can get it on Amazon for about the same price.

I'm also adding in a remote thermostat so I won't have to touch the unit itself. I'm going to have it installed outside my entry door from the garage to the house so I can lean out there and kick it on or off easily. The one I'm choosing however will have a timer on it though as I plan on keeping the garage at 55* minimum throughout the winter.

YOull hate the recovery, the bill and the output of a heater like that. Thats my opinion, and Ive used about every kind of heating source you can get on earth in one space or another.

Electric resistance heating is my ABSOLUTE LAST choice...but a lot of people use it because of the cheap up front cost.....Wait until you leave it on for a month in the winter and have a $500 Extra lump on your electric bill, you will quickly rethink your "option" IMO.

Good luck bud.

YOull hate the recovery, the bill and the output of a heater like that. Thats my opinion, and Ive used about every kind of heating source you can get on earth in one space or another.

I have a very well insulated garage and am coming from the same type of unit just the old one was 25yrs old and only 120v/2500 watts or something like that. It's 24 degrees outside but 65 in my garage right now without issue.

Wait until you leave it on for a month in the winter and have a $500 Extra lump on your electric bill, you will quickly rethink your "option" IMO.

I usually only see about a $25-50mo bump depending on how often I'm out there. Again, it doesn't kick on that often and I keep the garge at 45-55 typically and it rarely needs to kick on to keep it there. When I"m out there I kick it up to 65-70 range.

This one should run less as it will heat up quicker. I like that the fan won't below until the element is hot and runs until the element cools even after the element shuts down. Overall should be more efficient.

They key is how well insulated the garage is. Ours is 2.5 cars, attached, with a full bedroom above it and the cieling is well insulated. We have a top notch insulated door too. Outside wall has a better r-factor than the rest of the house.

Edited by TTQ B4U