Thoughts on an ATS-V

Grudes

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sedans are cheaper and look better, IMO.

I'm in the minority here that don't love their styling and lack of wide fenders.

I'd rather a new M3.

Supposed to handle well, engine is supposed to have good power, but MEH overall. Great on paper performance.

I am definitely interested in an ATS-V coupe in the future, but for the same reasons why I love my CTS-V:

1) Still a stick-shift car in a segment falling away from that as an offering (Lexus, Infiniti, Audi, etc...)

2) Solid, strong performance chassis in acceleration and handling.

2) Cadillac represents a respectable racing heritage, and a premium American brand.

3) Reliable platform, with a broad parts-bin for relative ease of maintenance.

4) ***VALUE*** - - - - - - - - - - - - - (if you can buy all the above for under $30k)

I throw that last one in because F**KING LOL AT A $56k CADDY/JAG/M-BENZ/ASTON-MARTIN/ETC THAT WILL LOSE 10-20% OF THEIR VALUE THRU DEPRECIATION ON A YEARLY BASIS. Why not wait 3-4 years and pick one up sub-$40k? Better yet, wait 7-10 years and get one for sub-$28k, and you can STILL finance it if needed...

I say do it....(but only if it is manual). they are pretty cars and super cush inside.

but keep in mind:

It's an intensely complex car made by GM. Personally the purpose of buying a GM made "V car" is to have the hammer to the forebrain simple LS series v-8 engine. And to that end I would almost rather have a Chevrolet SS for $10K cheaper (which is as close as you can get to buying a brand new 04-07 CTS-V). If you don't plan on owning it past the warranty, and don't mind taking the $20K hit the car is still expected to take over the next 3-5 years, it's totally worth it. Also I assume you aren't going to mod it at all so....

I say do it....(but only if it is manual). they are pretty cars and super cush inside.

but keep in mind:

It's an intensely complex car made by GM. Personally the purpose of buying a GM made "V car" is to have the hammer to the forebrain simple LS series v-8 engine. And to that end I would almost rather have a Chevrolet SS for $10K cheaper (which is as close as you can get to buying a brand new 04-07 CTS-V). If you don't plan on owning it past the warranty, and don't mind taking the $20K hit the car is still expected to take over the next 3-5 years, it's totally worth it. Also I assume you aren't going to mod it at all so....

I was considering as SS also. I am sticking with GM since I work for them everything would be cheaper. I was also worried about timing chain issues as the 3.6's have a history of that.

I'm sure it would be a lot better. My 1LE is stiff around Ohio roads, but not terrible. A Z/28 is a whole different animal. Driveability aside though, maintenance costs would be insane. Tires require a flick to your credit card's balls but new carbon-ceramic rotors are a full-on 50-yard field goal attempt to the crotch. They're $1,500 each.. plus pads for icing on that turd cake.

but keep in mind:

Step 1: acquire Chevy SS for 10k less than ATS-V

Step 2: redistribute 10k

I may just go with the SS. We have 5 of them coming in, in early spring. All 6 speeds and I thing one is going to be the ultra rare "orange blast". Z/28 would be something I could only take out when its 50 or warmer unless I try and put winter tires and brakes on it, but that seems dumb. ATS-V would be fun but more expensive to mod. The SS would be cheaper to maintain plus all the parts that are available for the LS3.