Need a new name for the shop

rb26deet32

Hey, I've been in business for almost 4 1/2 years. I'm moving from NW Dublin area to the East side of Columbus. I'm wanting to do a name change to start fresh in a new area. I'm having issues coming up with a new name and since so many of my customers already know me as Northwest I just continue to go by that but logically it doesn't make sense for new customers.

If anyone can think of a good name that we decide to use I will send you a $25 visa gift card. If you can also create a logo as well then I'll pay $100.

Anything is appreciated whether we use it or not. I've already posted this on several other forums as well as on my facebook page @ http://www.facebook.com/nwautomotiveperformance

Thanks!

Brent

If I create a name and logo for you I want 1% equity. I'm not gonna get dicked like the kid who created the Nike logo for $50 or whatever.

That being said, "NorthWest Performance" has been in business and obviously successful. Part of me says, "who cares about geographical location?" since you have an established customer base. The other says, "he who names his bidness based on geographical location is short sighted." That's business 101.

If you WERE NorthWest, I recommend, "Kanye and Kim's Baby Performance". It's got a nice ring to it.

Let me know when you want to sign over that 1% equity.

On the for real though, what exactly do you do? What is your passion? Give us something to work with. Pulling a name out of our asses will sound like, well, a name someone pulled out of their ass.

Is there a family name/fam member that inspired/inspires you? Is there something that inspires you not related to a geographical location?

yeah people need more info, what does the shop do? specialize? your last name?

I used fiverr.com to create my photography logo. If you go with them make sure you look to see the designer knows english and has unlimited revisions. So you can get it right.

Is 'performance' your main area of work? Facebook says it doesnt seem to be....I see a lot of general repairs.

If my AC clutch went out or something I doubt Id look up anything 'performance' online ect.

This is absolutely something to keep in mind. When you add racing/performance/go fast word you are going to be pigeon holed as a "Speed Shop" so your general repair business will be occasional work you luck into or people who already know you. What kind of shop do YOU want? Race cars or general repair?

If you look at Lucore we are named after the business owner who's been a master wrench for over 20 years, we are a general repair facility with a small business sort of feel to us. NOW, with that said we also do custom and speed shop type work but that isn't our daily bread and butter work. It doesn't take a very good memory to search back and find more than a few examples of speed shops that have gone out of business, even more than the norm in automotive. Spending 2 weeks on a build that nets you less than you would have made in 2 standard days wrenching is never good business sense.

Stick with something simple and honest, build the reputation up one customer at a time, and make yourself available for conversations. Do some fun stuff here and there to keep the enjoyment of wrenching and for PR. We rarely get comments about how nice the brakes are on a civic we did, but the hotrods we service constantly certainly get a lot of looks!

Just my .02

My favorite shop name is probably "North End Wrench"

Yes its an amazing shop, and while I think that name is unique not having the word "automotive" or the like in it....I could see a lot of people not knowing what they do, or passing it up in their search.

Everything Austin said makes a ton of sense.

Bexley Autoworks? Though it probably is in Columbus as Shawn said...'Bexley' sounds fancier.

Wow, I didn't expect to get this many responses so quickly. I just posted to get it out there. Now for some more details while I have some time.

I've been in business for almost 5 years in Dublin just past Perimeter on 33 West. I started out wanting to be a performance shop though it's a difficult niche to just jump into, especially when it was only me at first. So I had to do mostly general repairs along with performance builds when they came up like most small shops do.

We work on American, European and Asian vehicles. If I had to pick a specialty it would be engine and transmission builds. We have a great deal with a Local machine shop less than 2 miles from the new shop and we blue print and assemble every engine in house along with every transmission. Besides that we do the general repairs including engine/transmission swaps, head gasket replacement and general maintenance. A sub specialty that we do would be 2jz swaps/builds, head/cam/valve train, custom exhaust, lsx swaps/builds, and Honda's built for going in a straight line and pretty much anything that is required to make anything fast.

The new shop is at 3380 East Main st in Columbus Ohio. I like the original name and honestly never planned on getting big enough to need over 10,000sqft of space but I guess I was wrong.

I've been in Dublin for a while but a large majority of my customers come from the East side or within 5 miles of the shop. That is the main reason for moving. Most performance builds I get stumble upon a post I've made on a forum or see a car we've built and call in.

I'm looking for a name that just works. I've spent hours and hours trying to figure out something but I still just haven't been able to think of anything remotely decent. But Kanye and Kim's baby does have a nice ring to it :D

If you have any more questions please post. I'll post back asap.

Thanks again!

Brent

Wow, I didn't expect to get this many responses so quickly. I just posted to get it out there. Now for some more details while I have some time.

We work on American, European and Asian vehicles. If I had to pick a specialty it would be engine and transmission builds. We have a great deal with a Local machine shop less than 2 miles from the new shop and we blue print and assemble every engine in house along with every transmission. Besides that we do the general repairs including engine/transmission swaps, head gasket replacement and general maintenance. A sub specialty that we do would be 2jz swaps/builds, head/cam/valve train, custom exhaust, lsx swaps/builds, and Honda's built for going in a straight line and pretty much anything that is required to make anything fast.

Brent

The East by West has a double meaning too! thats a bonus,mabey there is a play with that with the sighnage

Buckeye Auto Repair and Performance

Brent's Auto Repair and Performance

Capital City Auto Repair and Performance

Capital Auto Repair and Performance (my preferred)

Correction and Improvement Auto Services

Also, while this thread is up. If anyone is interested in working full time or part time or knows someone that is give me a call at (614)625-7296.

I'm looking for anyone from lube tech all the way up to master technicians, part time or full time. I'll give anyone a chance.

Thanks again!