TDI owners stripping their cars before turning them in...

HotCarl

VW's fault on multiple levels for not anticipating this type of backlash from pissed off customers. they were clever enough to build a car that can literally trick everyone into thinking its environmentally friendly, and cheat on emissions tests, but can't envision cleverness on the customer's part? tough shit.

if anything, they should buy back all cars this week, no questions asked, and then send out an announcement addressing customers taking parts off

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ultimately, if there isn't any legal stopping this guy VW will have to deal with it.

“Retail Replacement Value” shall mean, for a given Eligible Vehicle, the cost of retail purchase of a comparable replacement vehicle of similar value, condition, and mileage as of September 17, 2015.

If this guy wants to play games, then VW will give him what the replacement value would be on the vehicle as of 9/17/15 less the modifications he's applied aka less the value of removing everything he did since his car is no longer in the condition he bought it in.

He can argue the point all he wants. Let's see if he's willing to spend money and if a court will hear the case, only to likely have a judge tell him to grow the fuck up because he's not likely going to rewards his shitty behavior.

Edited by TTQ B4U

Even if they did "ok" taking that car, the market would be so flooded with parts that really aren't worth a whole lot. I feel like there aren't that many parts on a TDI that are drastically different to be considered an "upgrade". A majority of people with base model Golf's could likely care less about changing their car, which leaves a ton of parts not selling and people whining that they don't have any room for them. Awesome.

"Hey, we know we sold you a piece of shit that doesn't come close to passing emissions. We knowingly deceived people. eventually we were caught and are being fined out the ass. We are being forced to buy back cars no questions asked. BUT..... don't you dare take parts off the piece of shit you've been flogging the environment with since you bought the car".

Thanks

Vw

• 1 month later...

Time to pull a "gone in 60 seconds" type heist, loading a shipping container with voided vw tdi's for.a journey to the old country.

I said 50 cahhhs, naught fohty nine en a half

Anyone know what happened with the dude who stripped his? Did they end up taking it back? Last I saw they refused it.

They shuffled him to the end of the line and he is still waiting.

A federal judge said stripping the car was not in the spirit of the settlement, and cautioned people to behave or he would have to rule you can't turn in a stripped car.

http://jalopnik.com/trump-says-environmentalism-is-out-of-control-in-breakf-1791558673

How Wild will it be in VW strikes some sort of deal with a Trump Arena to resell these cars?

#fucktheEPA

People said I'd never buy a V, but I bought one.

Mark my words...if this comes up I'll buy it:

Beetle TDI

Convertible

Stick

available for resale from VW for CHEAP. :)

http://www.vwvortex.com/jamie/beetle-convertible/vwvortex-beetle-project-15.jpg

Edited by zeitgeist57

People said I'd never buy a V, but I bought one.

Mark my words...if this comes up I'll buy it:

Beetle TDI

Convertible

Stick

available for resale from VW for CHEAP. :)

I would consider a sportwagen

They shuffled him to the end of the line and he is still waiting.

A federal judge said stripping the car was not in the spirit of the settlement, and cautioned people to behave or he would have to rule you can't turn in a stripped car.

i really hope he has to track down all those parts he sold.

i really hope he has to track down all those parts he sold.

I don't think he sold any of them. I think I saw something on the tdi forums about the guy being an arbitrage owner - that he went and bought 7 cars from used car lots just before the settlement happened and this was his last car to turn in.

I am surprised they don't ship them to places where they don't care if the pass emissions and sell them there. Africa, China, India, etc.

According to something I read (clicked a link on the article Clay posted), they were prohibited from shipping them to another country without first being "fixed".

According to something I read (clicked a link on the article Clay posted), they were prohibited from shipping them to another country without first being "fixed".

^this, all exports of these vehicles and engines has been stopped at this time. Now thats not to say it cannot be undone.

things just keep getting interesting with Dieselgate:

http://jalopnik.com/volkswagen-hoarders-say-theyre-making-huge-profits-off-1791341120

So it seems like arbitrage is in full effect with these things. It's interesting that people can still buy used VWs and meet the requirements of the buy back.