new guy knows nothing.....this should be fun!!

Fbodyfreshman614

So I did a lot of research and I came up with the decision....I seen a lot of motivational stuff for the ls. So many interchangeable parts and upgrades. Nothing but praises on the toughness and durability of the block. Pistons go kinda quickly but that's not too bad. The flow of the heads is crazy! And most of all......theyre not too costly. Well at least starting out theyre not. But from the sounds of it I can go find almost any decent ls stock motor machine it as necessary cam,heads,crank ect. and it will bring about some decent horsepower. With that being said one more question.......gen? liter? heads? To help, I'm not planning on the car to be a "legal" car. I have a 01 blazer and a 14 fusion so no need for a law abiding Camaro (so no need for draglites zeitgeist57 lmao) My goal is to crack 9's with the first build. So please shoot some things at me. I wanna hear anything from anyone who has the time. Budget is around 8 to 10 grand (not at one time). Thanks in advance

If you are going to hit the 9s in the quarter then it's time to go big or go home. Unless you are talking about 9s in the eighth, and then it's easy.

I would talk with Dyno Brian here on the board. He's my go to guy about LS and boost information. If I recall correctly I remember him saying that the 4.8 would make the most power under boost because of the shorter stroke and lighter rotating assembly would allow the motor to spin much faster therefore making more boost. It's counter intuitive, but makes a certain amount of sense to me. Add E85 to the mix and I would guess your goals are doable.

Another resource would me Mark Carlyle here, he's been known to make some boost with an LS and his car is kinda fast. ;)

Remember to set back some money for your safety gear. Big boost on corn in a fast car = some heavy duty safety.

Anyone know of a good machine shop in or around Columbus? Not just one you know of. I need a good one that you know does good work. I'm going lq4 block 408 for the camaro. Also, this is kinda corny but I need something like a mentor for this build. I know some but I know that there's experienced builders / racers that I could learn from. As far as the build, tuning, and racing. Don't flame me ctfu. I just don't want to sink all this money into this car and stuff go south on first start. I'm passionate about my cars and want to do right by them. Thanks guys! Also quick question*** get the parts assembled for engine and trans or chassis and body first i.e roll cage, back half, suspension and all that? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Joe and Bob at Performance Research, nothing else needs talked about when it comes to a build like this and machine work

That's the only place I would take my stuff. Friend of mine uses them now and a ton of other friends have used them in the past. Never heard anything bad about them.

My one friend made 900 wheel with stuff from them, so it's not like I'm talking about a 300 horse motor either.

• Casper unlocked this topic