Goodbye SS, Hello Stinger...

o0n8

2017 is the last year for the SS :(

But if you want a RWD (or AWD) Sedan, say hello to the Kia Stinger....but only with an automatic.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/2018-Kia-Stinger-GT-103-1-876x535.jpg

http://blog.caranddriver.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/2018-Kia-Stinger-GT-104-1-876x535.jpg

http://blog.caranddriver.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/2018-Kia-Stinger-102-1-876x535.jpg

GT V6 rated at 365hp & 370tq

Base 2.0L (I think it's used in the Optima) 255hp & 260tq

I kinda like the styling

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ALMOST thought KIA ungheyed for a second, just a little bit. NOPE

The thing has the headlights of a BMW 5-series, the roofline and swooping a$$ of an Audi A7. Both of those are automatic-only.

I'm a stick-shift nut, and I have to admit I'm very impressed with this from Kia. I'd definitely pick it over a Hyundai Genesis or Equus or whatever.

In for grabbing a Stinger GT when they're sub-$12k in a few years.

I like Kia....Well, I don't like most of their their dealers who are so used to dealing with bad credit risk customers that they almost operate like a buy here pay here used car lot but for new cars. And I don't really like that the manual transmission option is only available on the the super cheap base models of the Soul and Rio. And honestly most of their lineup looks like I would fall asleep halfway through saying their name out loud. Kia opti....snore....see it happens. I guess I just like the idea of kia as the plucky underdog in a market filled with bloated car companies not taking a lot of risks.

But I do like the Forte Koup which i think is the spiritual successor to the 1990's Civic Si, and I like how funky the Soul is in the styling, and I am genuinely impressed that they sell a 420hp rwd luxury sedan (K900) that rivals nicer cars for $61,000.

But I don't really like this. Maybe it is the decline in the sedan market, maybe because we are spoiled for choice with so many better cars in that segment, maybe it is because I think the nose and grill looks like a catfish. I don't know, it just seems kinda....meh...to me. I do like the weirdo taillights though.

Also, automatic only? lame. Kia has a DCT transmission they use, why saddle this with a slushbox converter auto.

Maybe it is the decline in the sedan market.

Kia has a DCT transmission they use, why saddle this with a slushbox converter auto.

I agree, sedans are retarded. They make no sense, a wagon or SUV is infinitely more practical.

Probably due to cost and potential buyers. Audi is moving away from DCT and towards the ZF8. Dual clutch transmissions still have some behaviors that buyers don't like.

I agree, sedans are retarded. They make no sense, a wagon or SUV is infinitely more practical.

50059379.jpg

Probably due to cost and potential buyers. Audi is moving away from DCT and towards the ZF8. Dual clutch transmissions still have some behaviors that buyers don't like.

Like being more awesome than a torque converter auto? apparently that's a behavior buyers don't like.

50059379.jpg

Like being more awesome than a torque converter auto? apparently that's a behavior buyers don't like.

My parents had a 2010 VW CC and complained about the DSG Auto literally every time I spoke to them. The dealer reflashed the trans computer a couple of times but they still hated the feel coming to a stop and accelerating from a stop slowly. Most non-car people will prefer a slish box to the DSG or similar.

But nobody really wants to make wagons anymore...at least not for our market. :(

VW just came out with a new wagon for our market, the Golf Alltrack. AWD and a DSG - it's like a bargain basement version of an Audi Allroad without the power and problem prone air suspension.

Supposedly Buick is going to bring an Opel Wagon here as the regal wagon. Might even have a manual option.

I wish dodge would bring the magnum back. The only thing I don't like about that car is the dated look of the 4 bar grille, otherwise it's awesome.

My parents had a 2010 VW CC and complained about the DSG Auto literally every time I spoke to them. The dealer reflashed the trans computer a couple of times but they still hated the feel coming to a stop and accelerating from a stop slowly. Most non-car people will prefer a slish box to the DSG or similar.

most non-car people buy Camrys. in metallic beige. Don't be non-car people.

I hear that complaint about DSGs a lot, and I get it. If they are really going to be the stand in for real manuals in the performance though we need the companies to put more of them in cars not less so they will invest in evolving it into something really good.

I hear that complaint about DSGs a lot, and I get it. If they are really going to be the stand in for real manuals in the performance though we need the companies to put more of them in cars not less so they will invest in evolving it into something really good.

Dual clutch gear boxes have lost their appeal imo, torque converted automatics are back on top of the "how fast can you shift" pile. The new 8 speed behind the C7 Z06 out shifts Porches PDK trans in the 911.

But nobody really wants to make wagons anymore...at least not for our market. :(

There are lots of wagons and hatches now. They're becoming more popular for pleb cars, specifically for smaller cars. Focus, civic, cruze, forte, elantra, etc are all offering hatchbacks and they're getting popular. Not to mention the fiesta, mazda 2, mazda 3, golf, sportwagen, alltrack, a4 avant, allroad, 3 series, not sure if the c and e class still has one or not, s60, new s90 large sedan is coming in wagon, etc, etc...

This.