C5 Z06 180 degree header build thread

Tinman

Could this be doable/easier with turbo headers?

On the same engine? You still need the room the actually merge them all so it would have to be like a rear mounted turbo and then the pulses would be going into the turbo then disrupted by the spool of the turbo before exiting to the exhaust

Sorry if I mis understood your thought/ question on this

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On an LS, yes.

Forward facing single turbo setup.

I am in no way an expert on turbo systems so take the following with a 2 ton grain of salt. On a single turbo application the 180 degree configuration would only add unnecessary complication unless it is a twin scroll compressor and even at that, the compromises that would have to be made would most likely make it not worth the trouble. Your best bet would be an 8 into 1 system with equal length primaries. To do so on a front mount turbo would require primary lengths of at least 36". Only someone with way more forced induction knowledge could determine if equal length primaries that long would be more beneficial than an unequal length primary design with shorter primaries.

• 1 month later...

A very short clip from Nelson Ledges today. The external mic hanging by the exhaust worked well. The phone recording it did not. It got hot and shut down mid first lap.

This is with the 180 degree headers, no X, and factory ti mufflers.

A very short clip from Nelson Ledges today. The external mic hanging by the exhaust worked well. The phone recording it did not. It got hot and shut down mid first lap.

This is with the 180 degree headers, no X, and factory ti mufflers.

That's sounds exotic as hell

. Only someone with way more forced induction knowledge could determine if equal length primaries that long would be more beneficial than an unequal length primary design with shorter primaries.

Yes, equal length makes considerable difference in back to back tests we have seen on turbo set ups

That's sounds exotic as hell

I need to hear this in person. Sounds nuts for sure.

Damn, that seriously sounds better than a Miura I was around yesterday.

Much thanks gentlemen. I'm hoping that the new pair of mufflers I'm building will improve the sound a bit more.

Timan, sounds sick. Any chance someone got to record it from the outside?

Thanks. It was recorded with an external microphone hanging around 18" behind and 6" above the exhaust tips. Still no drive by videos yet.

How's the new surface?

Better but it's a far cry from any other track around. They put down 5" of asphalt over the old surface. I'm not sure what prep was done to the old surface but they did not do anything to make it any flatter. The huge dip after the bridge is still there and the dip at the apex of the kink is still the same which is kinda nice actually.

With all the nannies turned on, the traction control was pulling power at several spots on both the front and backstretch due to the undulations.

Currently, the new surface stands tall of the grass by it's full thickness. They said it would be addressed very soon but did not mention what fix would be done. My guess, topsoil and grass seed.

Someone else said rumble strips and a berm on facebook

Hope so. Saw the ambulance out there right as we left, lights on and everything.

Car looked good, was great meeting you and Derek and hanging out Saturday

• 2 weeks later...
Well, photobucket has decided to be complete dicks and no longer allow 3rd party linking unless a "ransom" of $400 is paid. Thanks to Chris for alerting us to this bullshit, http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127255 So all of the photos of this build thread can no longer be viewed in the thread along with the descriptions until I move everything to a new host. To be honest, I don't know if I will ever find time to do so. For now, here is a link to my photobucket library where all the pictures that were once in this thread can be found, http://s157.photobucket.com/user/tinman_015/library/

• 2 months later...
Any further updates or testing?

Not much to report, at least nothing great or awe inspiring. Brian was able to squeeze it in on his dyno. It made very similar power to another Z06 equipped with standard style long tube headers. I was hoping to see an increase in torque around 3500-5000 but there is nothing extra there. I'm still very pleased with them for the sound alone, making music was the reason for the build.

On the sound side of things, I installed a pair of GHL bullet mufflers and was disgusted with the noise it made. Absolutely horrid! They were sold and another pair of factory ti mufflers were installed so I can enjoy it a little before the weather turns ugly. When it does, I'll look into fabricating some mufflers in the hopes of turning up the volume and dropping the tone an octave.

Well, photobucket has decided to be complete dicks and no longer allow 3rd party linking unless a "ransom" of $400 is paid.

For now, there are extensions for Chrome and Firefox that will bypass Photobucket's BS and allow the browser to display their images as normal. I installed it for Chrome; works like a charm. I'm sure they will get it banned, or override it, at some point; but for now, it's great. Consult the Extensions section for your browser of choice and get on it.

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

Fantastic work Matt!!!- finally having a moment to check the results. That shot of the bottom of the car should be printed and posted on the wall as art (serious).

Do you have any footage running hot at nelson ledges before you did the work? It sounds amazing for sure, just curious how "bad" it sounded previously.

I know my car doesn't sound anywhere near that good and they are about identical vehicles so maybe that is evidence enough haha (possibly why I also miss the sound of my old 5.0 coupe) Btw does your seat make a popping sound under moderate corning like something is loose? Is that what that tunnel brace you made is for?

Later man!

Andrew

Fantastic work Matt!!!- finally having a moment to check the results. That shot of the bottom of the car should be printed and posted on the wall as art (serious).

Do you have any footage running hot at nelson ledges before you did the work? It sounds amazing for sure, just curious how "bad" it sounded previously.

I know my car doesn't sound anywhere near that good and they are about identical vehicles so maybe that is evidence enough haha (possibly why I also miss the sound of my old 5.0 coupe) Btw does your seat make a popping sound under moderate corning like something is loose? Is that what that tunnel brace you made is for?

Later man!

Andrew

Thanks!

Sorry, that was the first time I had taken the Z06 out on any track. I've always found the sound of factory C5s pleasing and never bad. However I do think I have improved upon an already great sounding platform.

I haven't experienced the popping sound but have heard of issues with the factory C5 seats. The tunnel brace is a "structural member" that doesn't have anything to do with the seats. *In quote marks for the various opinions on it's usefulness.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...