C5 Z06 180 degree header build thread

Tinman

Okay, it took way too long to get back on this project but the new mufflers are finally done and..... I don't know if I like them.

The new mufflers are a bullet style. Straight through perforated core wrapped in 1/4" of fine stainless steel wool and then an inch of a ceramic wool insulation. 2 1/2" I.D., 5" O.D., and 9" long.

After getting them done, I bolted them on behind the X pipe that did not work well in my opinion with the factory mufflers. I was bound and determined to use the X pipe and I hoped it and the new style mufflers would make the proper music. Once again, I was wrong. The nasty trumpety noise was back at 2000rpm. It's a very odd phenomenon, it goes as soon as it comes. Lasts for only a narrow rpm range, maybe 50rpms and only while accelerating. I could not get it to make the same noise at any steady state rpm. But every time I passed 2000rpms while going through the gears it barked at me like an annoying jack russel terrier that wanted attention and badly.

So the X pipe is no more. I cut it out of the exhaust mid section and set it on the bench thinking I could use it elsewhere on another project. The mid section was welded back together sans X, reinstalled, and ready to make better noises.

The more I drive it, the more I'm growing to like it. Not sure if I'm getting used to it or if the packing is breaking down a little. I recorded a three gear pull to hear it from outside the car and I'm still undecided. I'll give it some time but at this point I'm thinking the "bypass mod" on the factory ti mufflers might be the way to go. Anyways, here's how it sounds as of now.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic