Southern Ohio Forest Rally

-Alex-

I know I'm going to regret asking this but...for those who have done Rally before what kind of cost incursion are you looking at? Have an extra Subaru or two sitting around the shop ...

Its a pretty expensive sport, but you can buy older already logbooked cars to get started for not too much money. There was a company called Safe Drives that used to sell a "Rally car in a box" kit for Subarus that included all of the necessary safety equipment to get started, it was pretty cheap for what you got which included a weld in roll cage. They appear to have gone out of business when I went looking for their site, though.

Just like any kind of motor racing, the expenses are always more than expected. A "Rally car in a box" kit sounds excellent, especially if it covers all the necessary inspection/certification points. Last thing I would want is getting physically hurt from something being not QUITE right. Where's the best place to look for ready to run type cars? Not a genre I've ever shopped for

Just like any kind of motor racing, the expenses are always more than expected. A "Rally car in a box" kit sounds excellent, especially if it covers all the necessary inspection/certification points. Last thing I would want is getting physically hurt from something being not QUITE right. Where's the best place to look for ready to run type cars? Not a genre I've ever shopped for

Special Stage is (or was) like the internet center of the universe for North American rallying, and they have a classified section. There are quite a few facebook groups/stores too for rallying related things.

http://www.specialstage.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?83-Classifieds

• 3 weeks later...

Depends if your dead set on building a subaru or not.

Advantages are the parts are common and the rally specific bits are available. That said, unless you have a budget and a half, I would avoid super production or open classes since you will find yourself out spent. That and frankly, I've seen a lot of failures in WRX parts.

That said. Two wheel drive is cheaper and more fun. The car doesn't need to be fancy. Just needs to meet safety requirements. So cage which needs to meet the pseudo-FIA rules rally america or NASA use or whatever the hell ARA is going to be using for logbooking.

Seats? get those used. FIA only.

fire extinguishers. easy.

after that, its just fluff since the driver is usually the limiting factor for the first few events.

Just remember that the rally car should be seen as disposable. I've been rolled over a few times navigating and I have flat out destroyed suspension on my old Rx7 rally car.

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone is interested. They are still in need of volunteers for this event.

https://www.southernohioforestrally.com/volunteer

They have over 60 competitor entries. So this should be a pretty cool event to watch.

I work with one of the organizers if anyone has additional questions.

• 2 months later...

I have two jobs, and my second job never schedules me during the day on Saturday...and they did this Saturday, so I can't go today or tomorrow :\

Sad, but thats life. Hope you guys have fun, I miss going down there when dad was running Sunriser (same roads) back in the day.

• 2 weeks later...