Anyone wrestle on here?

DaddyBuiltRacing

I never wrestled, but back in November my 6 year old approached me about giving it a try. We walked in blindly, not knowing a damn thing about the sport really. tossed him in a tournament after 5 practices and the little shit took 1st place. From there it has been tournament after tournament, usually a top 2 finisher. Today he qualified for the state tournament haha. Just curious if anyone else on here has a youth wrestler, plus boast a little as I am a proud papa right now.

wrestled in middle-school all the way to the end of High school... never did anything special or won anything interesting. My crowning achievement was wrestling at the State Duals against the 3rd best wrestler in the nation at the time. I survived long enough to get the first coin toss and I chose down, I shot up as hard as I could and socked him right in the nose to cause him to bleed a little bit... I was like "fuck this guy!" then he picked me up and slammed me on the mat and pinned me about 10 seconds later after a warning from the ref... other then that... I have no special achievements to my name... haha

my boy started this year at 13. He's way behind the other kids getting such a late start but he loves doing it. He gets his ass kicked on a regular basis but does have a couple wins this year which really isn't bad considering his age and being his first year. Most of the kids he wrestles have a 5-6 year head start on him. He'll do open mat stuff after the season is over and we're going to send him to camp this summer. I expect him to be much improved next season.

I tried it one year in high school. Everyone always said it helped with football, so I went out for wrestling. First day I was told I would need to drop like 15 pounds. Noped out.

That being said, I have a buddy that was an All American and Big Ten champ wrestler at Michigan in the 90's and he has always been hesitant to get his kids into wrestling due to the damage you can do to your body with yo-yoing your weight

I actually pissed a dad off earlier this year. We showed up to our 2nd tournament and was eating before weigh in's started. A dad had a heart attack that Tyson (my son) was eating, even told me how they skipped dinner and breakfast til after weigh in's. My son then proceeded to pin that kid in the 1st round lol. I will never cut his weight, he just jumps up a weight class. He is usually 48-49lbs and wrestles in the 50lb class. He weighed 50.4 at that specific tournament and got put in the 55lb class, took 2nd place. Some of these dads are absolutely insane, I have done a pretty decent job not becoming that dad.

We walked in to the wrestling room back in November, not even owning a pair of shoes because I didn't think he'd like it. It's been a great journey for he and I. For him he has learned a ton about wrestling and for me it's been great traveling the state on weekends with him. Usually my wife stays at home with our twins and I just go live on facebook so she can watch him wrestle. I am not sure how long he will want to wrestle, but right now he ranks it above Football and Baseball in order of sports he loves to participate in.

I wrestled from age 5, through college on the club team, as we lost the wrestling team to title 9. It can be a great sport that teaches discipline, hard work, and dedication. As long as you don't force it on him and become "that dad", it will be a great experience for him. I love my dad to death, but some of the shit he/we did was insane. I cut weight as a small child, we traveled out of state to wrestle at least 30% of the weekends, I never got to go to birthday parties as a kid, he had a fake birth certificate so I could wrestle in older age categories, I would purposely wrestle in 2 weight categories, after cutting weight. And there were fathers who were much worse. Still, a great sport. My brother ended up being a high school all American

My son is already skinny as hell. He's not allowed to cut weight. If I catch him intentionally trying to keep his weight down wrestling goes bye bye. He likes doing it but for me it sucks balls. I didn't do it as a kid so have no interest in it and one of the worst ways I can imagine spending an entire Saturday is in a gym watching 8 hours of other kids wrestling to see mine do it for 9 minutes. Those tourneys suck and are waaaay to damn long.

The tournaments do take forever, but at this age we are generally done in a couple hours. Now I am sure the state tournament will take longer but we'll see. I agree I will never have him cut weight and think it is totally asinine for any parent to have their young child do so. We simply wrestle up a class if he weighs over. Luckily we have only had to worry about that 1 time. His weight is pretty consistent because he is so active. I always give him the option to go wrestle or take the weekend off as I too do not want to be that dad. It is hard not to be sometimes as you get caught up in it, but my wife does a pretty good job of checking me when I get to that point.

I started Freshman year in HS after being kicked off the B ball team-ended up qualifying for States Jr year.

I will say this-back int he day I would NOT recommend it due to how hard cutting weight was on a young body still trying to grow. Now I hear they have that all regimented, and get BF comp early int he year and mandate what weights you can ro can not wrestle in.

The discipline and work ethic he will learn will augment every other facet of his life.

If he is this good now- STICK WITH IT, I will say that if he is a consistent state finisher he can get a full ride into most any school he wants. You have to consider thats like basically saving 120k++ on College. That in itself is well worth it.

I wrestled 2 years in high school did noting spectacular, my favorite move the figure 4 which is now illegal .

In my 20s wrested a bear at eastland mall and beat it. For anyone who know you cannot pin a bear as it has rounded shoulders but i had the bear down and it could not get up.

A buddy of mine wrote a story on it in the company paper then begged me to put it in SI. I refused. A few months later he shoes an SI in my face with a blurb in it about someone else who had done it, with a "see I told you"

mace

I wrestled 2 years in high school did noting spectacular, my favorite move the figure 4 which is now illegal .

In my 20s wrested a bear at eastland mall and beat it. For anyone who know you cannot pin a bear as it has rounded shoulders but i had the bear down and it could not get up.

A buddy of mine wrote a story on it in the company paper then begged me to put it in SI. I refused. A few months later he shoes an SI in my face with a blurb in it about someone else who had done it, with a "see I told you"

mace

what the fuck?

If he is this good now- STICK WITH IT, I will say that if he is a consistent state finisher he can get a full ride into most any school he wants. You have to consider thats like basically saving 120k++ on College. That in itself is well worth it.

Average college team is 33 wrestlers with an NCAA limited 9.9 scholarship equivalents per team. You better have multiple state championships if you think you are getting a full ride.

Average college team is 33 wrestlers with an NCAA limited 9.9 scholarship equivalents per team. You better have multiple state championships if you think you are getting a full ride.

Correct. Here is a pre-NCAA bio of an OSU wrestler

Four-time Ohio High School Athletic Association champion ... four-time PAC League champion ... three-time Fargo National champion ... FILA Cadet national champion ... Beast of the East champion ... three-time Iron Man champion ... two-time high school First Team All-American ... three-time Medina Invitational champion ... three-time Top Gun champion ... noted MVP at Iron Man championships ... two-time MVP at Medina Invitational .... two-time MVP at Top Gun event ... amassed a 178-5 high school record; 37-5 as a freshman, 42-0 as a sophomore, 47-0 as a junior and 52-0 as a senior ... owns Cuyahoga Valley Christian Academy school records for Most Career Victories, Most Victories in a Season, and winning more than 160 consecutive matches ... garnered Summit County, and Cleveland Plain Dealer Wrestler of the Year; PAC League Wrestler of the Year; PAC League Student-Athlete of the Year ... Cuyahoga Valley Christian Academy was two-time state runner-up ... also lettered in soccer.

This is a non-scholly backup for OSU

Four-year starter at Wadsworth High School ... three-time Ohio High School Athletic Association state champion ... amassed a 179-11 career record and 109 pins ... 2009 Cadet Freestyle runner-up ... Medina County Athlete of the Year ... Wadsworth was crowned 2010 OHSAA team champions and finished third in 2011 ... also lettered (3) in football (OL and DL) for Wadsworth

Yeah you have to be an absolute stud in order to get a free ride from a college for wrestling. That's not our goal with this though, our goal is to 1. Have fun 2. Not break any bones, 3. Learn a new move in practice and use it in a tournament each week. 4. Learn how to handle losing

#4 is honestly what I think you learn the most from this sport. It is you vs the other guy, much like many things in life and you don't always win.

My boy finished up his season this week. He's finishing up the week practicing with the high school team. Pretty down today after practice...He's just tired of losing I think. Hopefully it'll kick start him to want to win. He only won 2 matches all season so been a rough year. His last match went the 3 rounds and he lost 5-3. He had opportunity to win that match...Just didn't fight for it hard enough.