2017 Fishing thread

Mojoe

This is becoming a problem. With this warmer weather we are getting, I'm pretty excited to do some fishing this year. I just booked a Canada trip for Musky and Northern this Summer. Some friends and I found a place for a 2018 trip, they will fly us in for a week, and it is way up in Canada. Can't wait to be comfortably primitive for a little while. Fishing EXPO was last weekend, and they had much more to offer this year than last year. I was out of town for the Musky show in January, anyone go to it? Who has trips planned for this year? Anyone get some gear they can't wait to use? Looking forward to seeing some pics this year and hearing what is working for you all.

I've been getting Lucky tackle box for about 8-10 months now. I just do the $15 a month bass one. The gear has been much better than expected. You always get more than $15 worth of stuff. Here is their link https://www.luckytacklebox.com/?aic=9LBRQ2L

They turned me on to Lucky bug lures, and I have been doing very will with them. http://www.luckybuglures.com/shop/

Couple new pieces of gear I'm hooked on that some of you may find interesting. These bags are like the Swiss Army knife of tackle bags. I get it, $150+ for a damn tackle bag!? It's nuts. I have to tell you though, I will likely never buy another bag. I love these damn things.

Watch the video.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A0PA38O/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Watch the video.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A0PA38O/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Not so sure how this will do here in Ohio, but can't wait to try this new top water.

I may have gone a little overboard on this set up, but how could I resist when the rod is called "Mojo Musky".

https://www.amazon.com/St-Croix-Mojo-Musky-Fishing-MM72MHF/dp/B004EBOJ7Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1487292865&sr=1-1&keywords=mojo%2Bmusky&th=1&psc=1

And of course the reel had to be baller.

https://www.amazon.com/Abu-Garcia-AMB-6500-Ambassadeur-Fishing/dp/B011LUQOPW/ref=sr_1_4?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1487292961&sr=1-4&keywords=Abu+garcia+beast

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been going to the man made lake by my house the past few months, been too cold for salt water. Catching shit loads of warmouth on live minnows with a $20 gander mountain special rod & reel, usually head out to the inlets for drum when its a bit warmer out.

I have never had luck catching anything on lures

I have never had luck catching anything on lures

That's Florida for me. If you're not using greenbacks or shrimp for bait, the fish just don't bite. AJ (acklac) on here gave me some great lure options as ideas, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet...

Will be fishing first week of March. I really have grown to love the pastime.

Been wader shopping this week for our annual maumee trip. My waders have really shrank the last couple years.....Can't blame that on the drier so I think just storing them made them shrink. Either way...Shopping for new ones. Last year we woke up to 8" of snow. Don't expect that will be the case this year. Not quite sure what this warm winter is gonna do to the run. I would think it'll be a little early.

Been wader shopping this week for our annual maumee trip. My waders have really shrank the last couple years.....Can't blame that on the drier so I think just storing them made them shrink. Either way...Shopping for new ones. Last year we woke up to 8" of snow. Don't expect that will be the case this year. Not quite sure what this warm winter is gonna do to the run. I would think it'll be a little early.

I have been looking at waders too. I bought a pair of hip boots to see if that will cover what I want for now, only $50. I have been back and forth on a few different waders and next thing I know, I'm $200+ into them. Which ones are you looking at?

I am not much of a fisherman but the men in my family do a Canada fly-in trip every year. For that one week a year I am very much a fisherman and look always look forward to the trip. Where did you book your trip to next year?

This year we are going to Lake of the Woods in Ontario. My wife's family has a spot they go to every year and we try to go up every other year.

This is our primary place we are looking at for 2018. http://Http://www.kabyswildernessvacations.ca/#

I kind of want to do Brice lake, but it's 10 hours more of driving. We will likely give the place above a try, in hopes of several 45"+ Northern's. If we get them, I don't need to go further north and spend more time or money to try and get a 50" fish. I will be dabbing in fly fishing there too. Picked it up last year and would like to work with it more.

I will be out in my kayak quite a bit this season. Didn't get much time last year, so I plan to more than make up for it this year.

My buddy I fish with is big on the kayak fishing. He has a couple, so I get to use one now and then. We are hitting Clear Fork in May on them. I did a day on Alum with him last year and never got a bite all day. It was still nice to be out there though.

I'm supposed to go out to fish the Snake River in ID this summer. I'll be taking up Tenkara fly fishing. My whole life I've been an ultra-light open face spin cast guy with rooster tails and rapalas, so this will be a whole new thing for me, but i'm pretty excited for this next chapter in my fishing life.

I'm excited to try this tenkara thing on some of my favorite trout streams in PA as well.

I have been looking at waders too. I bought a pair of hip boots to see if that will cover what I want for now, only $50. I have been back and forth on a few different waders and next thing I know, I'm $200+ into them. Which ones are you looking at?

https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/apparel/waders.html

Right now I'm looking at Rogers waders. Never heard of them before doing these searches but like what I see. 5mm neoprene, attached boots because I don't want stocking foots, 1600 gram thinsulate boots, sealed cell phone pocket, and offered in big sizes. Last year it was 19 when we went out in the morning so warmth is important when waist deep in water. I want them plenty big so I can wear a heavy coat under them. I can in my old ones but it's like they're giving birth to me when it's time to take them off they're so tight haha. I have to take them off behind the truck door because they pull my pants down every time. haha

My current waders that I'll keep for a "just in case" scenario are hodgman's nylon/pvc waders and they've been kickass waders. I think they're nylon....I'd have to look at the box. I just know they're not neoprene. I've had them 15+ years although I've only fished in them maybe 10 trips. Missed a couple years and did a boat a couple years. Other than them not being big enough I would keep using them. The outter is pretty stiff but it's durable as hell. Everyone I know is on about their 3rd set of neoprene in the time I've had mine because theirs leaked. I think I paid $80 for them at Galyan's if you remember them. :D

This year we are going to Lake of the Woods in Ontario. My wife's family has a spot they go to every year and we try to go up every other year.

This is our primary place we are looking at for 2018. http://Http://www.kabyswildernessvacations.ca/#

I kind of want to do Brice lake, but it's 10 hours more of driving. We will likely give the place above a try, in hopes of several 45"+ Northern's. If we get them, I don't need to go further north and spend more time or money to try and get a 50" fish. I will be dabbing in fly fishing there too. Picked it up last year and would like to work with it more.

In my experience the boots will let you down. When walking stream you always find just one more spot you want to walk further to and crossing deeper water and waders keep your boys dry.

The boots are safer tho in regards to not filling up with water and panic drowning if you fall over. ( you seem like a pretty coordinated guy so that shouldnt be a problem lol)

What are waders? Ha ha.

I'm with ya.....but waders are something you put on when waist deep in the Maumee in early April when the water is cold as hell. Every year I'm there some poor bastard falls down and gets a good bath. I figure it's just a matter of time before that's me and I'm dreading it. Fishing day over when that happens.

We went up a couple years in boats and while that is definitely my preferred method of fishing it's a huge pain in the ass. Boat ramps are always completely crowded, river is always crowded, and it's almost always extremely shallow with heavy current. Just makes for a stressful trip until you get anchored up good and fishing.

I'm supposed to go out to fish the Snake River in ID this summer. I'll be taking up Tenkara fly fishing. My whole life I've been an ultra-light open face spin cast guy with rooster tails and rapalas, so this will be a whole new thing for me, but i'm pretty excited for this next chapter in my fishing life.

I'm excited to try this tenkara thing on some of my favorite trout streams in PA as well.

What setup did you go with? I've been eyeballing a Tenkara Rod Co. Mini Teton package.

I'm taking a hard look at Tenkara for an ultralight fishing rig when backcountry hunting this fall. They weight next to nothing, which is preferred.

I got the cascade and the oywhee. I really enjoy fishing very small streams, so I'll probably get more use out of the Cascade. I did a little fly fishing for my first time today with the cascade on a small stream for some bluegill. Man, talk about fun. Never thought catching small bluegill could be so much fun, ha ha.

Took the Owyheee out yesterday on the same stream and caught a bunch more bluegill. Talk about fun. Even catching tiny little fish on these setups is a blast. Seems the black flies have been working really well lately. I don't get much action on the lighter color ones, but toss a black wooley bugger on or something of the like, and it's game on.

Warm temps will helps us out here. Still pretty early for much of the fishing I like to do. Glad someone is catching something.

Bluegill are about the only things biting in the streams around here for me. I haven't even seen any bass. Come May-ish though, the big bass in these small streams really start bringing the fight.

I really want to get back up to the NE to try this fly fishing stuff for trout.

I go to Kaby every year, the fishing is phenomenal. You won't regret it.