Anyone Autocrossing this year?

Cordell

So I didn't race much in the last few years, and I want this year to be better. I originally bought my Corvette specifically because I wanted to autocross it so that's what I want to do this year.

I put together a list of dates, see here http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21 , obviously I'm not going to make it to all of them and I can't find anything on OVR yet, but with the newer class of CAM-S I think I'll go to more of the SCCA stuff. I doubt I'll be very competitive but that is the direction I want to go with my car. For those that don't know it was for "Optima Challenge" type cars, requiring street tires and very lax on other rules.

Anyone else look into this, or plan on doing more autox this year?

MVSCC also has some events planned for out by Springfield at the mall there. Apparently Wilmington airport changed their insurance so now they don't allow car racing on the skid pad at the airport anymore...

Still waiting on OVR SCCA to release their dates. Anyone have any info on them if they were able to score Ackerman this year? Or still just NTR?

Fiance and I will be at quite a few of these events this year. Also, Dragway 42 up by Lodi will be having some autocross events once a month as well. Works out for us cause our parents live in Akron, so we can drive up Friday for test and tune, hang out with family on Saturday, then autocross on Sunday on the way back to Columbus.

16997665_10102733896421842_2648064283324424233_n.jpg?oh=de3ee460e715b3cdeb98bc9259203283&oe=5936F7FC

I plan on doing a few but my first time ever and in a slow good handling Fwd car so it'll be just for fun.

We all do this just for fun. Some of us are competitive among each other (or so it seems) but we're actually just talking shit and being goons because the day ended with a "y".

I'm probably not going to make any appearances until later in the season.

I typically tell people I want to do a full year of autoX then only show up to a few of them...

All joking aside, the 8 hit 100k miles in December and I have to start taking it easy on the engine seeing as she is my DD as well as the autoX car #Apexseals

I will 100% be going to the Buckeye Miata Driver School on Sunday, April 30 to learn a bit more about driving fast. Outside of that I plan on attending anything that I am invited to on Facebook :eyes:

I typically tell people I want to do a full year of autoX then only show up to a few of them...

All joking aside, the 8 hit 100k miles in December and I have to start taking it easy on the engine seeing as she is my DD as well as the autoX car #Apexseals

I will 100% be going to the Buckeye Miata Driver School on Sunday, April 30 to learn a bit more about driving fast. Outside of that I plan on attending anything that I am invited to on Facebook :eyes:

Dump that RX8 and run while it has a little value. People always run them until they break, and then try to sell them and can't get $1500 for them. You know it's only a matter of time. It's like getting in a relationship with someone who is HIV positive, you know how this ends, why put yourself through it?

MVSCC also has some events planned for out by Springfield at the mall there. Apparently Wilmington airport changed their insurance so now they don't allow car racing on the skid pad at the airport anymore...

Still waiting on OVR SCCA to release their dates. Anyone have any info on them if they were able to score Ackerman this year? Or still just NTR?

Fiance and I will be at quite a few of these events this year. Also, Dragway 42 up by Lodi will be having some autocross events once a month as well. Works out for us cause our parents live in Akron, so we can drive up Friday for test and tune, hang out with family on Saturday, then autocross on Sunday on the way back to Columbus

I had heard of autox at D42, who's putting that on? I'll have to update my list when I get home.

I'd like to. Does shit break more auto crossing than drag racing? I know that's a vague question but I've never autocrossed

Like drag racing it just depends on how many weak links there are, for a sound car I doubt it hurts it much at all. Just stresses things a little differently, the valvetrain gets more of a workout since it lasts longer and RPMs fluctuate. Suspension, brakes, and especially tires come into play a lot more, but it's not really an issue so long as things are in good condition. Your Corvette was made for it and will be just fine though.

Dump that RX8 and run while it has a little value. People always run them until they break, and then try to sell them and can't get $1500 for them. You know it's only a matter of time. It's like getting in a relationship with someone who is HIV positive, you know how this ends, why put yourself through it?

eh... once I pay her off I will get something new. I will drive my 8 until it coughs up its apex seals :lol:

My next car will be something american for sure... I really like the Mustang atm. newer ones are not half bad for autox and i'm there to have fun, not set records... ya know?

I still need to come say hi to you Mojoe... is that invitation still open to come hang out, talk cars, and drink beer? I might take you up on that this year btw.

Like drag racing it just depends on how many weak links there are, for a sound car I doubt it hurts it much at all. Just stresses things a little differently, the valvetrain gets more of a workout since it lasts longer and RPMs fluctuate. Suspension, brakes, and especially tires come into play a lot more, but it's not really an issue so long as things are in good condition. Your Corvette was made for it and will be just fine though.

Cool. I'll probably go to a couple events

So....nothing happening in the Ackerman/OSU parking lot anymore? I know they built that medical building. It was fun to watch so close to my home. :)

Since they built the new building, its occupants are parking in the Ackerman lot on the weekends. Before that, the lot was empty on weekends, so it was a good location for the SCCA.

Last I heard, they are still ironing out the details with the new owners of NTR for the 2017 season, and have some other potential spaces for events later on in the season.