Paint Defect On New Car - Looking for Opinions

spankis

I'll be right there tomorrow, late morning early afternoon. If you want to coordinate I can look at the car with you.

Yea if you'll be east side already I would swing over there. I brought it home tonight I'm 20 minutes from Lindsay.

Do you do work for them by chance? I recall you working with a Honda dealer. I'll PM you.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are not going to take the car back either. You own it.

They may take it back. Aaron had VW buy back his blue golf R when he had it due to paint defect on the roof. They basically exchanged it out for another like model.

So, the plot thickens as of this morning....

I picked the car up last night after wife got home and drove me over to Lindsay Honda. Spoke to service guys, letting them know that I would take the car home and wash it this weekend, go over it once more and decide whether to pursue painting or not. I drove it home and put it in the garage.

This morning, Kevin Clifford was on the east side, and he and I met up. He looked the car over, and agreed that the paint issue was not terrible but is definitely still visible, and suggested a repaint of the just the hatch panel in question. Just as I was leaving, Kevin honked at me and said "that car's been hit"..... Thanks Kevin!

Turns out, somebody hit it while at the dealer, on the passenger side rear door / fender area. Not a huge collision obviously, but a good softball size dent and scratches forward of and behind it. Obviously I took it back to Lindsay and they put me in a rental immediately. They're offering to fix both issues, but at this point I'd just like to hand it back to them. The original paint issue is Honda's, and the new damage occurred while in the dealer's possession, so now I'm potentially going to end up with a "new" car that has body work and blended paintwork. If PDR can resolve the dent I'll be less bothered, but I'm waiting to get a call from Honda North America monday morning.

I'll upload some pictures at some point. For now just frustrated.

So, the plot thickens as of this morning....

I picked the car up last night after wife got home and drove me over to Lindsay Honda. Spoke to service guys, letting them know that I would take the car home and wash it this weekend, go over it once more and decide whether to pursue painting or not. I drove it home and put it in the garage.

This morning, Kevin Clifford was on the east side, and he and I met up. He looked the car over, and agreed that the paint issue was not terrible but is definitely still visible, and suggested a repaint of the just the hatch panel in question. Just as I was leaving, Kevin honked at me and said "that car's been hit"..... Thanks Kevin!

Turns out, somebody hit it while at the dealer, on the passenger side rear door / fender area. Not a huge collision obviously, but a good softball size dent and scratches forward of and behind it. Obviously I took it back to Lindsay and they put me in a rental immediately. They're offering to fix both issues, but at this point I'd just like to hand it back to them. The original paint issue is Honda's, and the new damage occurred while in the dealer's possession, so now I'm potentially going to end up with a "new" car that has body work and blended paintwork. If PDR can resolve the dent I'll be less bothered, but I'm waiting to get a call from Honda North America monday morning.

I'll upload some pictures at some point. For now just frustrated.

Be wary dealing with Lindsay. I've seen them do right by some people, and I've seen them royally screw some people.

The plot thickens....

so now you are dealing with a warranty repair and an accident repair under the dealer's insurance. You know how you sometimes watch the news and someone always says about some horrific event: "I just don't know how it got so out of control and complicated so fast"....well this is usually how those things start.

The thing I would be asking the dealer about at this point is whether the "accident" on their lot is going to stay off the carfax report or not. If they are not going to report it (get it in writing) then it's as if it never happened, if they are going to report it - well I think they owe you something for the loss of used value from a car that has a "clean carfax" to a car that has an accident reported.

The plot thickens....

so now you are dealing with a warranty repair and an accident repair under the dealer's insurance. You know how you sometimes watch the news and someone always says about some horrific event: "I just don't know how it got so out of control and complicated so fast"....well this is usually how those things start.

The thing I would be asking the dealer about at this point is whether the "accident" on their lot is going to stay off the carfax report or not. If they are not going to report it (get it in writing) then it's as if it never happened, if they are going to report it - well I think they owe you something for the loss of used value from a car that has a "clean carfax" to a car that has an accident reported.

And find out what the cost of repair was.

Legally, if costs of repair amount to greater than 6% of the value of the car on a new car, they MUST disclose it to you prior to signing the deal per OAC 109:4-3-16

You drove it home and THEN notified the dealer it was hit and they are taking care of it? They had to have known (or looked up cam footage or something). You'd think they would tell you to F-off considering it left the lot.

Unless they knew and waited to see if it was noticed by him and wait for him to complain about it

You drove it home and THEN notified the dealer it was hit and they are taking care of it? They had to have known (or looked up cam footage or something). You'd think they would tell you to F-off considering it left the lot.

Not really good practice to tell a customer you aren't at fault in that situation. Especially when they are already unhappy.

Attention was already at a laser focus on one area, the car could have had an entire door shoved in and it may have gone unnoticed by the customer.

Likely some idiot lot tech backed into it, or another customer. Space at dealers is a rare commodity and during "busy" times it's insane.

Yea, so as far as I can tell, if Honda North America does nothing for me then I get to play the dealer insurance game, issue a diminished value claim, etc.

I have a case generated with Honda, they've commited a case manager to calling me back before EOB tomorrow with info. In the meantime someone from Lindsay called to survey my level of satisfaction regarding my last visit - lol.

I had already signed the deal, etc., so this was not damage that existed prior to my taking delivery. This was damage that occurred sometime last week, while it sat on their lot waiting for the warranty guy to come in and look at the paint. I did in fact take it home Friday night though, after I got home from Florida. I picked it up after hours, so they left the service invoice or whatever under the wiper. I just wanted to get it home Frday while the wife could give me a ride, and I took it straight home and parked in the garage (no parking lots or anything in between). They didn't even question it though, which surprised me some.

And yea, I get the "it's just a civic" statement, but if that was truly my mindset I would have bought any other used low-mileage civic, not a new one. In my mind I signed a contract to make payments on a brand new car (with factory paint, no body filler, blended paint, or accident history). Through no fault of my own (and truly the fault of Honda for the paint defect and a Honda dealer for the dent) the hatch will need re-sprayed and the passenger side filled and blended. PDR may be an option, but per Kevin Clifford there will likely have to be a hold drilled in the door jamb to push the dent out (unless the glue-type PDR process can get it). Lindsay wants to send it to their standard body shop, not PDR....

Shitty phone pics for reference, probably obvious why I'd not immediately notice:

http://i.imgur.com/bRkjluNl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/DGhcAddl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/0v7CmOGl.jpg

Edited by spankis

Im not a PDR guy but I know a decent amount about it. That is not a minor hole drill and odds are it will get filler. Not only that, but now youve got a nice 1/2" hole to rust out in 6 years.

Id tell them to take it back and make it right with a new one, in the exact condition a new one should be in. Dont even let it be an option that they fix it.

I didn't get my trucks second key for 3 weeks, I bitched hard enough each time I went in I got filled up from E on their dime and a $50 gas card to boot.

Not saying to be a super dick, or say that you aren't being assertive enough, but having been on the dealer side of this stuff too they just wanna get you get you bandaged up and quiet as quickly and cheaply as possible.

Everyone telling this poor guy who just spent $21k on a car that it's just an X are a bunch of out of touch assholes.

Yeah I don't know that they meant to be assholes, but it is definitely unfair to say "just because it's "this car", get over it". Some people work their whole lives to afford a new car. IDGAF if it's a 1980 Ford Pinto- this shit is ridiculous.

That's a pdr dent all day. Having the right guy do it is the trick.

Call John Schrek. Great pdr guy. He got several worse ones than that even close to edges out of cars for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Google doesn't come up with much for John Schrek. I get John Highly with Dent Magic though. Have a contact for him?

That's a pretty unfair statement. The guy bought a new car, regardless of what it is, he should be treated fairly. Is it because it's not a BMW?

I was stating for the original overclear-not the accident. That should be fixed-

But yes, absolutely. To me, any commodity is you get what you pay for (to an extent). You buy a Civic, you have to expect the quality of the cheap car of a high volume automaker. Most cheap car I see (new or not) has paint defects whether it be over clear, or orange peel.

If it was just a clear issue, Id have them fix it and be on my way. But obviously its a bit more convoluted now.