WWCR Do (new car?)

BStowers023

Full Disclousre, I work for Honda but other than that had nothing to do with the new Civic and these are just my personal observations.

I'm not even sure the last gen Si is still available or not. You might have been looking at the regular new gen Civic, which just underwent a full model change last year (2016 model year). I've had a a 2 Door EX with the 1.5L turbo engine and 6MT for a few months and I've been really impressed with the car so far; beat my expectations from every perspective, ride quality, noise, performance and fuel economy. The next gen Si based on the new chassis and engine is supposed to be out sometime this year... maybe this month? Personally I'm planning to upgrade to the Si when my company lease flips over later this year and keeping it for a while.

Even with the new Si not out yet, I'd highly suggest to go check out one of the normal Civics with the 1.5L turbo engine and manual trans; it's a really good combo. It's rated at 17xhp/17xtq, but feels like and dyno results are showing it's under-rated. At the very least it will give you an idea if you want to wait for the Si or not, if waiting is an option. It get's 30 more hp and 20 more TQs, a real mechanical LSD and adaptive dampers over the normal version. I think at the entry price point for the Si, probably around $25k, you won't get those last 2 in any of the hot hatch/'econo' boxes (you can't get the Si in the Hatch).

I can't really deeply comment on how the Civic or Si version would compare to the FOST or FIST, as I haven't driven those cars. I imagine the ride quality and driveability is better with some 'sacrifice' to performance; maybe not to the FIST but probably to the FOST. The better ride quailty and driveability is just kind of what happens when you compare a new model car to one that's a few years old. My understanding is that the FOST has a pretty big turbo and has some lag so that's trade off for the increased absolute performance which is just a personal taste or concept of what you want the car to do kind of thing.

Edit: Just saw the buget, you can probably get a new version of the car I have for about that much MSRP is $22k. Unfortunately they just came out with the 1.5L Turbo & MT combo this year so you won't find probably any used, and the Si with the new chassis & turbo engine is not even out yet.

The Focus STs get full torque at 2500 RPMs. There's almost no turbo lag. The Speeds are the ones that can have a bit of Turbo lag until about 3500 RPMs.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nobody suggested a GTI?

A little out of your price range, but.....$26K gets you a brand new GTI (or if you prefer $350 at 36 month lease). you want a warranty? 3 yr/36,000 mi basic, 5 yr/60,000 mi powertrain and you can buy extra coverage from VW at the time of sale. And it is a new car, not used, not CPO, brandy spanking new.

Is it less powerful than a focus ST? sure. Personally I have always found the German cars to just be nicer places to be inside of. The doors close better, the sound level is quieter, the interiors just feel better. If you are complaining about the vette being uncomfortable, just go drive a VW and see how much nicer it feels to be inside it. It's also a practical car so driving it everyday around town won't feel like a compromise.

Whats your main beef with the Vette? If its just the clutch....replace the clutch?

Not even that, put a Tick adjustable MC on it. I hated my Twin disk before doing this mod. Now it drives like stock.

Whats your main beef with the Vette? If its just the clutch....replace the clutch?

There are other outside factors that don't really have anything to do with the car itself. It's honestly a great car and well put together and the clutch is strong, but it's overkill IMO which creates issues driving in traffic (dublin area). If I were to keep the car, I would go this route and swap the clutch. It's essentially a brand new clutch that goes for like $1200 new, so I could probably get solid $ out of it after it was pulled. Honestly, I had talked myself into getting back into something fast and "fun" so much that I kind of overhyped it. I was really into it more when I was younger and could be a little more carefree and do the whole street racing thing. I have to be more conservative now with my job and driving a company vehicle, if I were to ever get caught doing anything like that, my job is gone. Track? Yeah, I thought about that. Never been a huge fan to be honest and every time I go something breaks and it's usually not cheap. I honestly just want some reliability in my life and lower the stress. Essentially I want to simplify my life and save money to do some traveling and what not. I will get another nice performance car (Shelby Cobra kit car :grin2:) someday but right now I'd just like more stability.

nobody suggested a GTI?

A little out of your price range, but.....$26K gets you a brand new GTI (or if you prefer $350 at 36 month lease). you want a warranty? 3 yr/36,000 mi basic, 5 yr/60,000 mi powertrain and you can buy extra coverage from VW at the time of sale. And it is a new car, not used, not CPO, brandy spanking new.

Is it less powerful than a focus ST? sure. Personally I have always found the German cars to just be nicer places to be inside of. The doors close better, the sound level is quieter, the interiors just feel better. If you are complaining about the vette being uncomfortable, just go drive a VW and see how much nicer it feels to be inside it. It's also a practical car so driving it everyday around town won't feel like a compromise.

Considered the GTI. I could always go give one a test drive, but my experience with VWs, especially the smaller ones is that I don't fit well in them and they become extremely uncomfortable after about 30-45 minutes. Who knows, maybe the newer ones are better designed for bigger guys.

Hell yeah they do. Upwards of 50+ hp out of a Diablotune.

You're welcome to drive mine if you want. It's not an autocross car, but it's roomy, relatively fast, and a perfect DD.

I got mine, a 2014 with the technology package, with 12k miles for well under your budget. :)

Sweet man! I will let you know

Considered the GTI. I could always go give one a test drive, but my experience with VWs, especially the smaller ones is that I don't fit well in them and they become extremely uncomfortable after about 30-45 minutes. Who knows, maybe the newer ones are better designed for bigger guys.

I'm 6'5" so I know the feeling. I had an older diesel rabbit (1984) and I remember it not being all that roomy, and I drove plenty of friend's MK4 GTIs and didn't like them at all.

However when my brother bought his MK5 GTI i thought it was pretty great. In fact wife and I bought a MK5 Audi A3 based on how much we each liked the GTI. I think the newer ones are even better. It's worth a look.

Mk5 and up vws are significantly larger inside than a focus. Especially the 2 doors, gets the b pillar behind you, tons of room. No way I'd buy a focus st over a mk7 GTI pp. Big brakes, lsd, faster, more comfy and interior? Not even close.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2017/04/2017-hyundai-elantra-sport-review-best-version-best-hyundai/

Brand new $20k turbo sedan with a stick and a warranty?

#canthandlethev8

This reminds me of an old joke harley guys used to tell me....

A little 10-year-old girl was walking home, alone, from school one day, when a big man on a motorcycle pulls up beside her. After following along for a while, he turns to her and asks, “Hey there little girl, do you want to go for a ride?”

“NO!” says the little girl as she keeps on walking.

The motorcyclist again pulls up beside her and asks, “Hey little girl, I will give you $10 if you hop on the back.”

“NO!” says the little girl again as she hurries down the street.

The motorcyclist pulls up beside the little girl again and says, “Okay kid, my last offer! I’ll give you 20 Bucks “and” a Big Bag of Candy if you will just hop on the back of my bike and we will go for a ride.”

Finally, the little girl stops and turns towards him and Screams Out, “Look Dad… you’re the one who bought the Honda …YOU RIDE IT!!”

except replace Honda with Hyundai.

bro check out my new Hyundai! It'll be fun in 8 months when it snows that one or two times this year I promise.

8mo later in snow, five different traction things kick on as you're forced to drive in a straight line while trying to wring out a few drips of fun from that turd

Aaron on here had one before his mustang and is no small man by any means and always said on how well he fit in his GTI and golf R.

If anything goes wrong related to those mods, it won't be covered. From what I've heard and read online, Ford dealerships may not even touch a modded car at all.

If it's Ford Racing parts, installed by a qualified dealership, it's covered.

Mk5 and up vws are significantly larger inside than a focus. Especially the 2 doors, gets the b pillar behind you, tons of room. No way I'd buy a focus st over a mk7 GTI pp. Big brakes, lsd, faster, more comfy and interior? Not even close.

This. I'm 6'4 and I fit fine in my R32. The GTI PP is awesome. The seats are comfy and the interior is well put together. I sat in the new focus and I felt so crammed in it.

I know but Hyundai's have some of the best warranties along with Kia 5 year/basic, 10 year/powertrain so a used 2015 would be fine

The warranty goes to a 5/60 if you buy it used.

The warranty goes to a 5/60 if you buy it used.

Also there are a lot of disgruntled people out there were Hyundai denied their warranty repairs. Apparently the trade off for having the longest warranty is to be stingy and look for a loophole to get out of it.

So, kind of a stupid question, if you have a company truck why rush out to buy another car? Why not just live with the vette while you save up money and then when you have a different job with no company truck go out and buy something really great.