Anyone do monthly "Clothing Clubs"?

Zx2guy19

Just checking here to see if anyone does a monthly clothing club, namely things like Trendy Butler or the one I'm highly considering, Five Four club. Basically, it's $60 a month and they send you a seasonally based outfit, valued at $120.

Here's the deal: right now, I don't really spend $720 a year on clothing. BUT, I do work at a company where I can dress as trendy as I want (no shorts, but otherwise, basically no dress code).

Anyone currently a member that has positive/negative feedback?

I've had five four about two years now. I'd say if you're pretty open to different types of clothing, you'll like it. I'm not very "trendy" so I'd say I keep about half. The jeans make it worth it for me. I'm not a big shopper, so it keeps my closet current.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I've had five four about two years now. I'd say if you're pretty open to different types of clothing, you'll like it. I'm not very "trendy" so I'd say I keep about half. The jeans make it worth it for me. I'm not a big shopper, so it keeps my closet current.

Got it, thanks man. One thing I noticed is that they didn't ask my leg length, just my waist. I'm a 34/32 and don't want to get some high water shit.

Why not just go out to Goodwill? I found awesome stuff there. Only place I know of where you can turn $20 into Awesome clothes! Found some CBJ jerseys for dirt cheap there ^_^

Don't pay $60 for that crap... go get good crap second hand would be my two cents.

Why not just go out to Goodwill? I found awesome stuff there. Only place I know of where you can turn $20 into Awesome clothes! Found some CBJ jerseys for dirt cheap there ^_^

Don't pay $60 for that crap... go get good crap second hand would be my two cents.

The problem is I suck at fashion. My ex wife used to pick out my outfits and shit and now idk wtf I'm buying. These places put it together for you.

For the record, I have found nice stuff at Goodwill.

I don't know anywhere that has better deals on jeans than Nordstrom Rack.

EDIT: And I'm talking about good quality jeans, not Kohls crap.

Every single pair of jeans I own is from American Eagle. They're the only ones that fit my quads and still offer skinny jeans, ha!

Volunteers of America receive second-hand donations from "My Brothers' Closet" (mens) and "Dress for Success" (womens). I can tell you that VoA has some pretty nice, lightly worn, labels that you'd want to wear. I'd do Petrolbox or DSC for simpler consumables but I wouldn't want some random clothes every month guaranteed that you may not like sometimes.

I don't know anywhere that has better deals on jeans than Nordstrom Rack.

EDIT: And I'm talking about good quality jeans, not Kohls crap.

+100. If I shop in a physical store, I start at Nordstrom Rack>>Clearance sections, and move up from there. Also, the suits they have for $300 are comparable to JoseBanks for less money.

Also, I think it was Kinja/Gawker that did a "Top 5 Men's Jeans" poll a couple of months ago...IIRC, 4 of the 5 are sold through Nordstrom and I got a pair at NR for less than $40.

Got it, thanks man. One thing I noticed is that they didn't ask my leg length, just my waist. I'm a 34/32 and don't want to get some high water shit.

I'm 33/33 and the jeans have been a good length for me.

I did Bombfell and Stitch Fix for a while. It definitely upgraded my closet as I just do not have time or patience for that type of thing but like to be a bit trendy. It gets expensive as they keep pushing the budget you set.

The appeal of these Men's Clothes clubs is that a designer (or at least someone who knows what they're doing) put's together an outfit('s) with everything included for cheaper than you could find for yourself. It's not only the appeal of price but the fact that you open the box and there's a nice, complete wardrobe there.

Some services include everything down to socks and shoes, some can do just shirts and slacks, etc... So it's not that he can't find clothes. It's that this service basically dresses guys who have no clue where to start and how to dress, which lets be honest is basically everyone here.

Every single pair of jeans I own is from American Eagle. They're the only ones that fit my quads and still offer skinny jeans, ha!

I have the same exact problem and only wear AE jeans because of it.

http://www.realmenrealstyle.com/build-interchangeable-wardrobe/

This may help. I don't know shit about "style" but this article covers a lot of basics. I think those club services are cool and could work out for someone like me but there has to be a less costly option.

The appeal of these Men's Clothes clubs is that a designer (or at least someone who knows what they're doing) put's together an outfit('s) with everything included for cheaper than you could find for yourself. It's not only the appeal of price but the fact that you open the box and there's a nice, complete wardrobe there.

Some services include everything down to socks and shoes, some can do just shirts and slacks, etc... So it's not that he can't find clothes. It's that this service basically dresses guys who have no clue where to start and how to dress, which lets be honest is basically everyone here.

"designer"

I don't buy it to be honest. I purchase my clothes based on the following:

1. Do they fit?

2. Are they comfortable?

3. Can I afford this?

If the clothing meets all three, then I purchase it. I could honestly care less about a guy named Gostaov in France or Bum-Fuck Germany who's name is written on the tag. "Someone who knows that they were doing"? Really? Clothes have been around for a long time and much like the chair, it truly baffles me why we can't get it right. Ever sit and think why in 2017 we have uncomfortable chairs? But wait! Designers made that, clearly they know what they are doing... FALSE. Clothes are no different and in this case you limit yourself even more to find something comfortable and nice. My two cents stand... take your $60 and go to the store or Amazon and buy yourself something nice. If it makes you happy, write your own designer name on it to make other people think it's "designed". Odds are the people that care about "designer" clothing will just go along with it anyways and act like you are a visionary.

1. Do they fit?

2. Are they comfortable?

3. Can I afford this?

If the clothing meets all three, then I purchase it. I could honestly care less about a guy named Gostaov in France or Bum-Fuck Germany who's name is written on the tag. "Someone who knows that they were doing"? Really? Clothes have been around for a long time and much like the chair, it truly baffles me why we can't get it right. Ever sit and think why in 2017 we have uncomfortable chairs? But wait! Designers made that, clearly they know what they are doing... FALSE. Clothes are no different and in this case you limit yourself even more to find something comfortable and nice. My two cents stand... take your $60 and go to the store or Amazon and buy yourself something nice. If it makes you happy, write your own designer name on it to make other people think it's "designed". Odds are the people that care about "designer" clothing will just go along with it anyways and act like you are a visionary.

Based on this logic you should be driving a Nissan Versa, because you fit, its comfortable, and you can afford it.

Who cares about what things look like right?

I did Bombfell and Stitch Fix for a while. It definitely upgraded my closet as I just do not have time or patience for that type of thing but like to be a bit trendy. It gets expensive as they keep pushing the budget you set.

Good stuff- I think that's why I like Five Four- it's $60 a month regardless. And the first month you get a double package.

I have the same exact problem and only wear AE jeans because of it.

This may help. I don't know shit about "style" but this article covers a lot of basics. I think those club services are cool and could work out for someone like me but there has to be a less costly option.

Cool site, thanks for sharing!

"designer"

I don't buy it to be honest. I purchase my clothes based on the following:

1. Do they fit?

2. Are they comfortable?

3. Can I afford this?

You sound like you're the guy that wears cargo pants and an 80's rock band shirt to everything. Nothing wrong with that, but that's not me. I have to dress nice/trendy for work as I work for a fashionable retailer. Also, I'm 27 years old and like to look nice. Nothing wrong with that either. I didn't start this thread for money spending tips, I simply wanted to know if anyone has used the subscription service and what their feedback was.

Carl, thank you very much for this article. While I've been wearing suits for nearly every business day since 2001, my personal style has evolved only in the last few years.

As a cheap-a$$, I took Mike's (ShowHBK) stance on casual or business-casual clothing until my wife drug me out to Nordstrom Rack for the first time 2-3 years ago. I still balked at $40-$100 jeans over my trusty-but-rough $20 Old Navy specials. My shirts were whatever cheapies I could get. I still didn't know a lot of finer points of style until I started opening up to friends and family....

THIS ARTICLE MAKES IT EASY.

I'm still in a t-shirt and jeans/shorts for most outdoor weekend events, but a little style-sense helps you look better, feel better, and simplify your wardrobe every day.

Again, I know this is a car forum :), but a little effort here will pay off for a lot of guys.

Based on this logic you should be driving a Nissan Versa, because you fit, its comfortable, and you can afford it.

Who cares about what things look like right?

ROFL, clothes and cars are two different things... Your logic is flawed as well... I would drive a Honda Civic with my relaxed attitude towards clothing, had the two been the same. Simple mesh shorts and a t-shirt are what make me happy... Throw in some sandals and i'm good. What to judge me by the way I dress, cool story bro. I would prefer not to judge someone how they are dressed... just my opinion.

You sound like you're the guy that wears cargo pants and an 80's rock band shirt to everything. Nothing wrong with that, but that's not me. I have to dress nice/trendy for work as I work for a fashionable retailer. Also, I'm 27 years old and like to look nice. Nothing wrong with that either. I didn't start this thread for money spending tips, I simply wanted to know if anyone has used the subscription service and what their feedback was.

Legitimately... cargo shorts are dope and I have a few rock shirts... But I would be wearing Anime, car, or gaming shirts. That describes me well, because it is comfortable to me and i'm not interested in "designed" clothing because ALL clothing is "designed" at some point. I'm also 27 and happy with life and myself. If you want to dress a certain way or you disagree with me then good on you man. I honestly hope you enjoy your monthly box. I used to subscribe to Arcade Block and Loot Crate and there was a level of excitement each month to receive my box of fun stuff. The excitement wore off over the span of three years and maybe yours will as well. I'm not trying to get you to agree with my wardrobe, I am more or less trying to say that you could (factually speaking) get "designer" clothing second by picking out what you want instead of possibly paying for a random "surprise" box of clothes you may or may not want. Sorry for any confusion, I sometimes to a shit job of conveying what im trying to say through type.

Anyways... TL;DR...

• You want a monthly box, get one, please enjoy it.
  • "high end", "designer clothes", "shirt and tie" to me are uncomfortable, overpriced, and make me look like someone im not. (opinionated)
  • I wear a shirt and tie to work everyday. I hate it. Shirt and tie is uncomfortable, restricting, and overpriced (opinionated)
  • It would be possible for you to get exactly what you want from second hand stores without the hassle of getting a random box of crap each month... unless you like the "Mystery Box" then go with that. You might not get what you want.

Hope this clears up the waters a bit. Best of luck with your choices man. I hope you get what you want ;)

Carl, thank you very much for this article. While I've been wearing suits for nearly every business day since 2001, my personal style has evolved only in the last few years.

As a cheap-a$$, I took Mike's (ShowHBK) stance on casual or business-casual clothing until my wife drug me out to Nordstrom Rack for the first time 2-3 years ago. I still balked at $40-$100 jeans over my trusty-but-rough $20 Old Navy specials. My shirts were whatever cheapies I could get. I still didn't know a lot of finer points of style until I started opening up to friends and family....

THIS ARTICLE MAKES IT EASY.

I'm still in a t-shirt and jeans/shorts for most outdoor weekend events, but a little style-sense helps you look better, feel better, and simplify your wardrobe every day.

Again, I know this is a car forum :), but a little effort here will pay off for a lot of guys.

Oh dude, I completely agree. I still wear T-shirts and jeans a good portion of my "off work" time. But for the occurrences where I can't get by with that, I want to look good, I want to look good. I'm sure if I blow it out I spend $500-$700 a year on clothes anyway (I spent $200 at Express this weekend).

Join PetrolBox and you'll get a sweet car related t-shirt every month! haha

I've thought of joining on of these types, but I still can't get myself to pay crazy prices for an outfit. My work attire is normally dress slacks and a Toyota polo, so not a lot of creativity involved. My best advice would be to collect a few names and then do YouTube searches. There are thousands of unboxings that would help you figure out if one of them is for you.

really-this is what it has come to?

As the world grows in numbers, capability, ability, and peoples standard of living increase the progression has been for people to become more and more specialized with what they do; jobs, careers, hobbies, skills. As that's been happening, we are 'offloading' more and more to other people who specialize in some other area different from ourselves. These clothing services are just another version of that. I think anyone here who uses a service like this has said something along the lines of how easy it is and how it saves them time.

For me, I was surprised at the difference between a shirt I would buy in any dept store versus what I was sent. The clothes just fit so much nicer - there is a difference. To me, at this point in my life, I like my clothes to fit well. They also last a lot longer.