Craigslist Freak-of-the-Day

Geeto67

He was at Trails this past Sunday. I was chatting with him while we sat in line waiting to get in. I loves the wing with that license plate. Never saw him once we got inside. I assume he was up in the car show area.

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the car but if I got it the first thing I would do is take that wing off. How did it run at trails?

I don't know if he ran it down the track, or just sat in the car show area.

It must have been her old tanning bed lol. Car is kewl but that wing is way to furious.

I commented on the license plate with the park bench sized wing. He joked that he needed a pilots license to drive the car. Seemed like a decent guy. He didn't get offended at my comment about the wing.

I don't know if he ran it down the track, or just sat in the car show area.

I commented on the license plate with the park bench sized wing. He joked that he needed a pilots license to drive the car. Seemed like a decent guy. He didn't get offended at my comment about the wing.

Lol that's cool. At least he's not all offended, might indicate he was compensating for something lol

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

how hard it is to spell "Avanti"? jeez.

Plaase except my humblessed appalagees my liege for the coping and pasteing.

Also seems strange that it's a "1964" since production ended 1963. The tooling and bodies were sold to a pair of Indiana dealers and production resumed in 1965 after studebaker shut down, so of all the years outside the original production run there could have been an avanti, 1964 was not one of them. because it has a 289, and I assume it's a stude engine it's probably a 1963 unit that's mislabeled, since the 1965-85 "Avanti IIs" had 327s, 350s, and 400ci small block chevys.

fun local fact the fiberglass bodies were made in Ashtabula, Ohio.

How hard is it to use proper grammar and punctuation? Jeez.

Never mind anyway. Even if I did like it in a buzzed state your post alone has made it hideous. Congrats on the ego though. Looking good stud.

another offroad musclecar:

How hard is it to not use proper capitalization? Jeez.

You know what they say about ricers with overly large wings.

I do not, but I'm sure Kerry will be by shortly to tell us all about it.

^ I think he was calling out the guy who posted the CL ad, not you personally

Potato, tomato. They're both fruits. :lolguy:

I'm sure he was, but my point also is, who gaf? It's a typo. They happen.

Anyway, I still dig the car. It's unusual. If I were to get one, which I likely never will, I'd get the plate "AVANDII" just because of this thread.

Plaase except my humblessed appalagees my liege for the coping and pasteing.

I was referring to the ad itself...it's isn't all about you...sheesh!

I'm sure he was, but my point also is, who gaf? It's a typo. They happen.

Once, it's a typo...more than once..eh, not so much. Also getting the year wrong is sometimes a red flag.

Either way, I'm gonna try a new tact....thank you for giving me the opportunity to talk about my mild obsession with weird cars like Studebaker's "sports" car and try and have a conversation (even if you oddly took offense to it for some wild unknown reason).

https://louisville.craigslist.org/cto/d/1989-toyota-cressida-mx83-w58/6348806658.html

This sounds kinda fun:

Cometic Metal Head Gasket

ARP Head Bolts torqued to 80 ft/lbs

w58 transmission ( From a Toyota Supra MK3 of the same year - non turbo)

BC Racing coilovers

CUBE short throw shifter and bushings

New Clutch line, master and slave cylinder

New front brake calipers

New Xcessive motor mounts

New Xcessive Clutch Pedal

Shaved brake pedal

New Exedy Clutch

New Fidanza Flywheel

ARP Flywheel Bolts

New Xcessive one-piece driveshaft

New Water Pump

New Coolant Hoses

00s0s_8a8oIrnd5mC_600x450.jpg

I'd call it a sleeper but without a turbo it's probably still slow.

holy crap!!!! a Devin!!!!

https://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/d/1960-devin-sports-car/6360222858.html

00404_9n0OP8TbMTF_600x450.jpg

ok story time: When I was in high school (early 90's), I had a neighbor who I think made a living restoring vintage formula 1 cars. He always had something neat like a BRM hanging about, but he was also a corvair freak and had a 1966 turbo monza convertible (which I later bought when he passed away, scared myself with by spinning it in the rain, and then sold), a corvair powered meyers manx, and a corvair powered devin. The Devin was the most awesome because the car was tiny and even with the 140hp carb motor he had in it the thing flew. He told me back then that Devin used to make a special model called the SS that used the same body but had it's own chassis, not a bug chassis, that was an amazing racer. I think they were chevy powered. here is the Devin S/S for reference:

http://www.devinspecial.com/uploads/2/9/1/9/2919428/3054724_orig.jpg

After he died (my senior year of high school), his widow sold off everything at bargain basement prices. I got a set of 9 fin 1957 corvette fuelie valve covers for $40 and picked a whole turbo corvair motor out of a dumpster. After that I never saw another Devin in the flesh.

They are a funny car - they can be horrendously ugly or achingly beautiful depending simply on how they are painted and the lights placed. case in point look at how pretty this VW framed, porsche powered one is:

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/images/gallery/quail2009/18270.jpg

unfortunately, these cars are tiny, like smaller than a 356 tiny. You don't drive it you wear it. which is probably why I will never own one.

Corect me if I'm wrong, but wasnt the windshield for those out of a boat?

There weren't laws about safety glass back then so the windshields were fabricated by devlin in various configurations in plexiglass. (what they used to call "safety plastic"). the "deluxe" street windshield bears a striking resemblance to plexi boat winshields used on a lot of outboard boats in the late 1950's-early 1960's like glasscraft, dorsett, and carver, but actually the boat windshields are too wide. I think the original windshields Devin made were molded from a highly modified Glasspar G3 ski boat windshield from the early 1960's.

Considering that these cars were built on a variety of chassis, some of them british, many people used other windscreens like brooklands windshields, cut down plexi deflectors, and any other thing they could make fit. It's a kit car so anything goes.

Another interesting feature was that the body was laid up in sections and modular - so the "size" of the body could be adjusted to the chassis if needed by replacing some of the sections with longer or shorter pieces. A great example of this are the noses, some are short, some long, some have a grille opening and some don't, but they all have the same headlights.