Shoe shopping for 2017

99StockGT

So for at least the first part of the season we will be running a 87 LX mustang in some AutoX while we get the engine/suspension dialed in to move to a new platform. Question at this point is, what kind of shoes to put on her? It's going to be a street class car so quick but not anything we want to be running a full race slick. What have you liked/disliked/seen coming into this season? Edited by 99StockGT

go buy this:

https://www.amazon.com/Mustang-Performance-Handbook-William-Mathis/dp/1557882029

then do all the suspension and body stuff. Use the stock rims with whatever decent sticky tire you can until you can get nice lightweight wheels. Some of the suspension mods will change the track of the car (wheel to wheel width) which is why I say hold off on the aftermarket wheels until done (because offset will change).

It's already running a full suspension setup currently, just need to see how she does in the twisties. This car is mostly a donor car, engine and trans will be coming in a different vehicle once complete and the suspension is going into a resto-mod once we are happy with it. Running a 17x8 wheel on all 4 corners so a 255x40 tire is likely, just curious who's had luck with what. Looking at several different options from Toyo, also Kumho is apparently over their issues on the early V720s..

Bridgestone RE71R is what all the competitive non slick people are using in SCCA/any other autox. Tread wear can be an issue though. If I didn't already buy some very lightly used slicks last year, this is what I would be buying, and may still buy after I burn through my cheap slicks.

Other good 200TW tires are the Hankook RS4, Dunlop Star Specs, and Kumho Ecsta, and BFG Rival S.

It will be nice to have another competitive SN95 chassis out there with me.

I've been keeping an eye on tires for this season because the R888s on the Lotus are DONE. What I've seen, it comes down to two tires for AutoX. The Bridgestone RE-71R, and the BF Goodrich Rival S 1.5. They are close enough that it would come down to setup/driver, with the RE-71R having a slightly better feel.

It's looking like I'll be going with the BFGs though since they come in the sizes I want.

I want these:

ac5d5623dd1759fdd8032890135a18f2.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You'll need the matching watch

image_3f640c84-ffcf-4133-9f27-d40c540be950_1024x1024.jpeg?v=1494842040

I have Falken Anzies on the wagon and they've been great on the road and had no problems at Mid-Ohio. They are a little older model so I'm sure there are better options now but I've been happy with them. Continental just came out with a new summer tire developed with the help of IMSA drivers. A friend had a set of Hankook's in the 255/40/17 on his ms6 and did multiple track days and auto-x and was very happy with them.

You'll need the matching watch

image_3f640c84-ffcf-4133-9f27-d40c540be950_1024x1024.jpeg?v=1494842040

I have Falken Anzies on the wagon and they've been great on the road and had no problems at Mid-Ohio. They are a little older model so I'm sure there are better options now but I've been happy with them. Continental just came out with a new summer tire developed with the help of IMSA drivers. A friend had a set of Hankook's in the 255/40/17 on his ms6 and did multiple track days and auto-x and was very happy with them.

I'll be the first to admit I can be a bit pretentious and arrogant at times, but I will NOT be that guy showing up at an AutoX in a full racing suit with matching shoes and a watch...unless I do well this season then maybe NEXT season ;)

I'm running Hankook slicks on the Roush these days, which seem pretty stout. I HATED Hankook's street tires though.

I'll second or third the 71R's though - those things grip till the end, and they get even stickier once they break in a little. They start out at 200 treadwear, but hang on like something WAY softer. I went a couple of seasons on a set before I switched over to slicks, and I can't really ever see myself going with anything less for a summer tire again.

I'm running Hankook slicks on the Roush these days, which seem pretty stout. I HATED Hankook's street tires though.

I'll second or third the 71R's though - those things grip till the end, and they get even stickier once they break in a little. They start out at 200 treadwear, but hang on like something WAY softer. I went a couple of seasons on a set before I switched over to slicks, and I can't really ever see myself going with anything less for a summer tire again.

Highly considering those, have seen some pretty decent reviews of them and it seems like once one or two heat cycles are through a lot of these tire options they really start to grip even better. Treadwear is only an issue to make sure we aren't out of class, this car won't see public roads at all just cone chasing. As long as they make it through summer/fall I'm happy :)

One of the guys in the OVR was running 71R's on his WRX, and they were pretty much worn down to slicks - and he was still basically dominating the STU class on them.

They do get a little greasy when hot, so keep a bottle around to cool them off between runs.

How serious are you trying to be here? Let's be honest, tires are great, but is your skill there?

I'm in no way trying to say you aren't, I simply don't know. You'd be surprised what a decent set of summers (HTRZ3, Indy 500s) or even the budget tires that bump you into a different class (Nexus Sur4, federal rsrr, etc) can do. Are you competing for a trophy or national scca run? if not, I'd re-evaluate where you put your money, honestly.

Skill level is about "this high", always room for improvements. Personal track time has been way less than I would prefer given how much work we are pushing through the shop and weekend trips to pick up rides but... this year will be different!

When I ran the Forester XT the suspension was fine, the power was great, and the driver wasn't terrible, but the tires just couldn't hold in the corners. So for what is essentially $600 or so in tires can take that variable out of the equation. Well worth it. Also the suspension that's on this is set up for aggressive Pro-Touring style driving so having a tire that won't just push or slip through cornering and accel is extremely important.

As far as trophy running or a shot at national SCCA? Highly doubt we'll be at that level of competition this year more fun runs and shaking down the setup than anything else. But, if I win a gold star sticker along the way... that's fine too! ;)

"Worn to slicks" over how many events?

No way to know for sure, but mine aren't as far down as those were, and I have a season and a half on them, with a little daily driving scattered in there, too.