Help: Fun car Shopping

Miller

So I'm searching for a new car. I told myself I wouldn't do it this year because it seems like I've had a new one every year for the past decade from varying degrees of econobox, projects and fun cars. I might be sick.

Anyway, I'm looking to replace the Porsche with something a little faster that's maybe probably not another Porsche, preferably. $30K is the MAX of my budget. This is my track car currently and I would like this one to serve the same purpose. I'm open to AWD and RWD, not FWD. It needs to be fast, but not too fast. Light-weight and get good gas mileage so that track weekends aren't retarded expensive in consumables. I don’t want something that’s yellow, red or silver. My other car is silver and the other two make me think of McBappies.

Oh ya, no automatics. Get dat bull ish outta here.

Edited by Miller

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You didn't say if track car meant HPDE or autocross. If you're an autocross guy, I highly recommend the Focus ST. I know, fwd, but they are really great cars. Stock they're slower than a 2006 VW GTI with 200hp and 207tq, but with about 3k in bolt ons, they're torque monsters.

Mr. Rainwater is right. I forgot this is a car forum and curb weights are like bra sizes...the definition of what's big and small can vary.

A "light car" is <3450lbs to me. I hope that helps.

you just got done with the 944 right? Why going away from it already. Great car to learn on. Not very fast but it's caged and everything and as safe as you can be in a learning environment right?

Why not track the Viper? Not a great learning tool but capable car and it's already in the garage

1LE goes 100% against light and not going through consumables. You'll be buying tires and brakes as much as you'll be buying gas. It's a highly capable car no doubt, but like a GT-R when they are heavy they do that job but at the price of alot of money in tires and brakes.

C5 Z06

E46 M3?

RX-7? Chris' car is faster than 99% of the cars out there and within your budget. Chris' car is the best driving front engine, rear drive car I've EVER driven....that's saying something. LS swapped ones work here too and again are plenty quick but I've seen way too many LS motors blow up at the track from oiling issues. Go dry sump if you go LS.

you just got done with the 944 right? Why going away from it already. Great car to learn on. Not very fast but it's caged and everything and as safe as you can be in a learning environment right?

Why not track the Viper? Not a great learning tool but capable car and it's already in the garage

1LE goes 100% against light and not going through consumables. You'll be buying tires and brakes as much as you'll be buying gas. It's a highly capable car no doubt, but like a GT-R when they are heavy they do that job but at the price of alot of money in tires and brakes.

C5 Z06

E46 M3?

RX-7? Chris' car is faster than 99% of the cars out there and within your budget. Chris' car is the best driving front engine, rear drive car I've EVER driven....that's saying something. LS swapped ones work here too and again are plenty quick but I've seen way too many LS motors blow up at the track from oiling issues. Go dry sump if you go LS.

All good points Andy. But I'm looking for something with slightly more ability in the straights than the Porsche. And my Viper is sort of, well, retarded. It would give a veteran racer some pucker moments in its current form. Maybe if it at least had ABS. That's also my daily driver...

I don't like BMW or a lot of their drivers. I don't want something that I'll have to put much work into (thinking that Camaro would fall into that category).

So you are going to have a Focus ST as a track car, and a Viper as a daily...

Slow down there Boss Hogg...that's fail wheel drive.

You didn't say if track car meant HPDE or autocross. .
Both amigo.

I don't like BMW or a lot of their drivers.

E30 M3's aren't just any old BMWs. Yeah the overwhelming number of BMW drivers can be douches (myself included) but don't confuse a proper pukka race car with the guy in the murdered out e46 325i that parks across three spaces in the wendy's parking lot.

Besides you can always LS swap it if it isn't fast enough.

I don't want something that I'll have to put much work into (thinking that Camaro would fall into that category).

Says all it needs is up to date belts and net to be track ready. It's an LT1 not an LS1 so there isn't much room to make it faster, but really there are fewer things cheaper to run than a small block Chevy, and even fewer cars that have as big an aftermarket than a GM F-body. Plus if you crumple it like a beer can you can just go to the yard and get another shell and transfer the parts. I assume the wheels are just off in the pic to show the upgraded brakes.

but whatever:

https://dayton.craigslist.org/cto/6147229977.html

00202_gH1YoTBesT5_600x450.jpg

It will need a new set of tires, battery, racing belts, foamed seat and SCCA inspection to compete. This is a great starter car for racing in the Formula 2000/Formula Continental class. It would also be a great car for vintage racing and autocross.

maybe with enough money you can convince this gut to sell it to you turn key:

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/6140877171.html

00V0V_h80mcln8NOB_600x450.jpg

I could consider replacing both cars with ONE do all, be-all champion; true master race. I share the garage and hate having to shuffle one car out from the other when I decide the one tucked away is the one I want. IF I were dumb enough to trade in both I could spend reasonably around $80K on a single car. That car would have to be a unicorn. Mild gas consumption, stupid fast, nimble and offer creature comforts.

IF I were dumb enough to trade in both I could spend reasonably around $80K on a single car. That car would have to be a unicorn. Mild gas consumption, stupid fast, nimble and offer creature comforts.

sounds like a used porsche 911 turbo to me....oh wait...nevermind