Where should I buy a lake house?

Diamonds

Looking to spend the next year going for long weekends checking out a handful of lakes and then buying a lake house at the one I like the most.

Criteria:

Just one.... Must be no further than 3 hours from Columbus.

Where have you been that you have enjoyed?

There are a ton of lakes in southern Michigan that are smaller and have some decent priced houses. But that might stretch your drive time to 3.5 hours. I too have been getting closer to buying that lake house and been thinking a lot about it. :cool:

If you haven't used it already, this is a great site: http://www.lakehouse.com/

Primary residence or second home?

How much do you want to sue it in the winter?

Are nice inland lakes OK?

Do you want/need the opportunity to make legit money renting it? (and if so does cap rate matter)

Does it have to be in Ohio?

This and a few other key Q's would significantly narrow down your search.

Indian Lake

Buckeye Lake

Apple Valley - Private lake

Lake Lakengren - Private lake in Eaton, OH

Choctaw Lake -

Grand Lake St. Mary's

Tappan Lake

I just did a quick search for private lakes in Ohio and came across these

http://www.candlewoodlake.us/

http://www.lakewaynoka.com/

http://www.lakeloreleiohio.com/lakeloreleiohio/About_the_Lake.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_lakes_in_Ohio

Some questions:

1) Will you be boating? If yes, how big? Sail or gas?

2) Which do you value more, privacy, or access to fun shit?

3) Do you actually want to be on the water/across the street from water, or just in the general vicinity? I ask because some foolish people think "lake house" means any abode within walking distance of a body of water.

My fiancée's family has a house on Lake Erie in Huron, OH, very close to the Huron lighthouse. They dock at Harbor North, which is walking (or golf carting) distance from the house. There are 2 bar/restaurants, a cafe and a bowling alley within walking distance, and myriad other establishments within golf cart or car distance. There are public launches for friends that visit, and it's maybe an hour from dock to dock for a trip to Put-In-Bay or Kelly's Island. You can catch an Uber to the Jet Express to Kelly's/PIB if you don't want to get a BUI, or just get a boat big enough to sleep on. Cedar Point is just a little ways away and you could honestly ride bicycles there.

It's almost exactly 2 hours to Huron from my place in Grandview. You can go up 71 to 30 to 250 through Norwalk, or you can take back country roads for better scenery and driving. I can't remember if you ride motorcycles or not, but it's a great ride up there excluding the highway boringness.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and you can bring your passport and disappear to Canada if the shit hits the fan.

As has been eluded to, what do you enjoy?

My wife's mother and step father had a house on Sandusky Bay in Port Clinton. It was great for the kids to jet ski, or it would be great if you want to play on the water without much boat traffic. Fishing, not so much, access to the main portion of Lake Erie, yes, but it was a bit of a ride to get out there. If you just want a house with a view of a lake - any of the local water holes will work. A lot depends on why you want to have a house on a lake.

I live here in candlewood lake very clean place to live gated community with security 24 hours a day. Houses start at 300k on the lake and go up. Check it out

I live near you on county road 20, I looked at a couple of houses there before I bought mine.

I would also suggest Pleasant Hills Lake. Near all of the attractions of Mohican and it is unlimited horsepower. My parents have had a second home there for 30 years. Most of the places are on leased land but some like my parents own the land.

Guys thanks so much for the responses.

Before I answer the questions below. I guess I just want something where I can escape with the wife and kids. But, also be able to bring friends. And, sometimes I want to bring the inlaws so that my wife and I can walk to a local watering hole and have a drink onces the kids go to bed.

There are a ton of lakes in southern Michigan that are smaller and have some decent priced houses. But that might stretch your drive time to 3.5 hours. I too have been getting closer to buying that lake house and been thinking a lot about it. :cool:

If you haven't used it already, this is a great site: http://www.lakehouse.com/

I'm really trying to stay closer to 2 hours with a 3 hr max.

Thanks for the link!

Primary residence or second home?

How much do you want to sue it in the winter?

Are nice inland lakes OK?

Do you want/need the opportunity to make legit money renting it? (and if so does cap rate matter)

Does it have to be in Ohio?

This and a few other key Q's would significantly narrow down your search.

Second Home

No winter use, maybe 1x?

Inland lakes are fine

Don't need to make money renting it but pursuing the idea.

Does not need to be in ohio

Some questions:

1) Will you be boating? If yes, how big? Sail or gas?

2) Which do you value more, privacy, or access to fun shit?

3) Do you actually want to be on the water/across the street from water, or just in the general vicinity? I ask because some foolish people think "lake house" means any abode within walking distance of a body of water.

My fiancée's family has a house on Lake Erie in Huron, OH, very close to the Huron lighthouse. They dock at Harbor North, which is walking (or golf carting) distance from the house. There are 2 bar/restaurants, a cafe and a bowling alley within walking distance, and myriad other establishments within golf cart or car distance. There are public launches for friends that visit, and it's maybe an hour from dock to dock for a trip to Put-In-Bay or Kelly's Island. You can catch an Uber to the Jet Express to Kelly's/PIB if you don't want to get a BUI, or just get a boat big enough to sleep on. Cedar Point is just a little ways away and you could honestly ride bicycles there.

It's almost exactly 2 hours to Huron from my place in Grandview. You can go up 71 to 30 to 250 through Norwalk, or you can take back country roads for better scenery and driving. I can't remember if you ride motorcycles or not, but it's a great ride up there excluding the highway boringness.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and you can bring your passport and disappear to Canada if the shit hits the fan.

1. Maybe, it's not a hard "need"

2. a bit of both, i'd like there to be some bars close by.

3. I want to be on the water

Guys thanks so much for the responses.

Before I answer the questions below. I guess I just want something where I can escape with the wife and kids. But, also be able to bring friends. And, sometimes I want to bring the inlaws so that my wife and I can walk to a local watering hole and have a drink onces the kids go to bed.

I'm really trying to stay closer to 2 hours with a 3 hr max.

Thanks for the link!

Second Home

No winter use, maybe 1x?

Inland lakes are fine

Don't need to make money renting it but pursuing the idea.

Does not need to be in ohio

1. Maybe, it's not a hard "need"

2. a bit of both, i'd like there to be some bars close by.

3. I want to be on the water

I would suggest renting a house/airbnb/whatever you can find in Port Clinton/Sandusky/Huron/Catawba Island area by the end of this summer. It'll give you a good feel for what the area is like, what the drive is like, and I think it'll help make up your mind if you want to be on an inland lake or major body of water like Erie.

I know if it was me, I would never be happy on an inland lake after spending time on Erie. It's much closer to being on an ocean than a traditional "lake house" IMO due to all the international shipping traffic and the size obviously.

I would suggest renting a house/airbnb/whatever you can find in Port Clinton/Sandusky/Huron/Catawba Island area by the end of this summer. It'll give you a good feel for what the area is like, what the drive is like, and I think it'll help make up your mind if you want to be on an inland lake or major body of water like Erie.

I know if it was me, I would never be happy on an inland lake after spending time on Erie. It's much closer to being on an ocean than a traditional "lake house" IMO due to all the international shipping traffic and the size obviously.

I agree with all of this after seeing your answer

Post back on your findings. We go to Cumberland or Norris about a dozen times per year as I can't find anything better that's closer but am interested in your findings.