Eclipse 2017

unfunnyryan

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was able to find what I needed at the Bethel Rd. Walmart. I had to buy the pack that had the little book with them, but whatever. Was $3.50 as opposed to a $1. I had tried / called four other places before I found these. One of the Kroger stores I tried told me a school official came in the day before and bought everything they had... :eek:

I think i will be heading to hopkinsville KY as i hope most will go to the nashville area and traffic wont be as miserable, leaving monday morning early to avoid everyone. Still watching the weather to see what it will do and make changes as needed.

I'm told it must have a Shade 14 lens. If it does, you are good.

Were you listening to NPR today? I was just telling my lunch meeting that this old dude from Perkins Observatory was on "All Sides" and they heard the same show!

The guy specifically said that most welder's glass is a Shade 10. He did say the same thing...must be a Shade 14. I need to check my adjustable helmet because I thought there was at least a #13 on the knob....although it's Harbor Freight, so there's my trust in that.

FYI, this Perkins Observatory expert made me pretty excited for the eclipse:

- Columbus will have 85% totality, meaning that it's going to get DARK. If it's a cloudy day, it'll get dark enough for the street lights to come on, and crickets to start up.

- Once we get full penumbra for about 2.5 minutes, the temperature is going to drop precipitously and the wind is going to pick up.

I've unfortunately got some work meetings planned for Monday, but I'll try to keep the afternoon open. Sounds like the one in 2024 is going to be great as well!

If you totally can't get glasses and still want to safely view it you can make a shoe box projector by following these directions.

http://www.theskyscrapers.org/build-a-shoebox-eclipse-viewer

You could also use just about anything with a tiny hole in it and project the light from the sun onto another surface, the shoe box just provides a very nice all-in-one device.

I hope we get the usually sunny SC weather for Monday, we've been having clouds and rain from the tropical storms messing with the normal patterns. I'll be off that day, not sure where I'll end up, but I'll be setting up my telescope and cameras in the 100% zone. Hopefully I'll get some pics to share.

Were you listening to NPR today? I was just telling my lunch meeting that this old dude from Perkins Observatory was on "All Sides" and they heard the same show!

The guy specifically said that most welder's glass is a Shade 10. He did say the same thing...must be a Shade 14. I need to check my adjustable helmet because I thought there was at least a #13 on the knob....although it's Harbor Freight, so there's my trust in that.

FYI, this Perkins Observatory expert made me pretty excited for the eclipse:

- Columbus will have 85% totality, meaning that it's going to get DARK. If it's a cloudy day, it'll get dark enough for the street lights to come on, and crickets to start up.

- Once we get full penumbra for about 2.5 minutes, the temperature is going to drop precipitously and the wind is going to pick up.

I've unfortunately got some work meetings planned for Monday, but I'll try to keep the afternoon open. Sounds like the one in 2024 is going to be great as well!

According to NASA anything shade 12 or higher is fine.

Viewing with Protection -- Experts suggests that one widely available filter for safe solar viewing is welders glass of sufficiently high number. The only ones that are safe for direct viewing of the Sun with your eyes are those of Shade 12 or higher. These are much darker than the filters used for most kinds of welding. If you have an old welder's helmet around the house and are thinking of using it to view the Sun, make sure you know the filter's shade number. If it's less than 12 (and it probably is), don't even think about using it to look at the Sun. Many people find the Sun too bright even in a Shade 12 filter, and some find the Sun too dim in a Shade 14 filter — but Shade 13 filters are uncommon and can be hard to find. The AAS Reputable Vendors of Solar Filters & Viewers page (link is external) doesn't list any suppliers of welder's filters, only suppliers of special-purpose filters made for viewing the Sun.To find out more about eyewear and handheld viewers go to https://eclipse.aas.org/eye-safety/eyewear-viewers (link is external).

Clipped from https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/safety

I'm planning on using my hood turned up to 13 and a tactical flashlight over the sensor to make sure it triggers and stays dark.

I must be the only one here that doesnt see the point?

Am i misising something here the moon and sun are passing by the same time?

The moon is blocking out the sun, like 88% coverage here in Columbus. It's been 99 years since a coast to coast Total Eclipse, so it's kind of a big deal.