What to expect from an auto claim?

Exodus

Wife and I were T-boned in an intersection yesterday by this old lady that ran a red light (She was cited and accepted responsibility). Thankfully no one was hurt and I just walked away with a bit of a headache. Unfortunately the door to my wife's car(2002 Civic) is stuck shut due to the damage. The lady was driving a newer Acura SUV and hardly had a scratch on her bumper.

Anyways, we've never been in an accident and have never needed to file a claim before. Both us and the old lady have Nationwide. What should be expect from this? A smooth process to repair?fae0c3cb15756861762c22710759101c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Call the insurance company and file a claim under her insurance policy. They'll ask you what happened. Did you get a police report number yet?
Filed a police report. Hamilton county Sherriff said they wouldn't be able to give us a number until next week. We filed a claim already. We're just unfamiliar with how this works. Especially since its with the same insurer.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Edited by Exodus

Keep bugging the police for the report.

File under the person that hit you. They will want the report.

They'll send an adjuster out and give you an amount.

If you know someone in a body shop have them write an estimate. They made need to supplement the insurance company for more money than what the adjuster wrote.

Walk away with money and be glad your not hurt.

I'd expect a call from an adjuster within 24 hours of filing the claim. You can take it wherever you choose for the repair, NW will recommend a "blue ribbon" shop near your location. These shops just make it easier on the adjusters because they use the same estimating software and usually agreed upon labor rates. Get a couple estimates, if you feel like it.

The shop starts on the work and determines it is worse than they originally estimated, they'll write a supplemental estimate, no big deal.

Both parties having the same insurance carrier, actually makes it a little smoother as it doesn't have to go to subrogation to get money back from the other carrier.

In my world, hope it's totaled out. They lowball you on the value. You proceed to pepper their angus and take em through the ringer by destroying their valuation. You get the offer up a few G's. Buy it back for a few hundred. Fix car yourself with parts from a junkyard, pocket the rest. Get rebuilt title. Win.