Car show to benefit students

Richard Cranium

Good turnout. Congratulations Rick, I'd say it was a success, especially for the first year. Cool to see the students out getting experience directing event traffic and the students in firefighting gear. Thank you for the hard work, it was a good time.

Rick, things went great thanks to your careful planning and hard work. I was impressed with your students and your school. A real plus for the event was that there seemed to be an activity for everyone attending regardless of age or interest.

As always, it was great seeing the dozen of so CR folks. Thanks for parking us all together. I look forward to next year.

Rick, I know when I talked to you at the show, you had said you hit the "car goal" of 100 entries. How did the fund raiser go over all? And what were the results of the show for the categories? I saw a pic with Doc and a trophy. Congrats, Doc.

I appreciate all the compliments. Saturday was a day I won't soon forget. I'm assuming it took about a month off my life span. I am counting the show as a success, and by success I mean it didn't turn into a complete shit-show. Cars showed up and got registered, cars got judged, and trophies got handed out (sometimes to the wrong people). I still have a winner I need to contact and make sure he got his trophy. We made money and most everyone seemed to have a good time.

Overall the show was a success financially despite the issues we ran into. The car show itself I believe brought in roughly $1200. That does not include raffle, 50/50, food or craft show receipts. My best guess on the all included total is around $5000 profit for everything.

We got lucky on a large number of things. First off the weather was giving me more gray hair than I already had. Luckily it turned out great. I did give the DJ a little crap for his company name Hurricane Entertainment, and wind issues we had. Originally I had set a goal of 150 cars, and honestly I'm glad we didn't get that many. I'm not sure the show would have held together with that many and it might have turned into the shit-show I mentioned earlier. We're going to make plans for 150-200 cars next year, but now that I have one under my belt I feel I can put together a team that can handle a crowd that size.

One of the most obvious issues was the wind blew over our best in show trophy and broke it. That's on my list this coming weekend to fix. I'll have to create some new pieces to make it all match. This time they will be made out of hard wood instead of particle board.

The final winners report looks something like this.

Vintage TruckMake: AnyModel: AnyYear Start: 1890Year End: 1979Num. Winners: 1Num. Participants: 5

Winner Score Auto Id Auto Info Name

1 84.5 0063 1952 Chevy Truck Celvin Roland

Modified TruckMake: AnyModel: TruckYear Start: 1890Year End: 2017Num. Winners: 1Num. Participants: 5

1 81.5 0058 2011 Jeep JKU Susan & Shawn Howard

Modern MuscleMake: AnyModel: AnyYear Start: 1980Year End: 2017Num. Winners: 1Num. Participants: 6

1 79.67 0024 2016 Dodge Hellcat John Noe

Vintage MuscleMake: AnyModel: AnyYear Start: 1967Year End: 1979Num. Winners: 1Num. Participants: 19

1 89 0034 1964 Plymoth Belvedere Mike Hermann

Sport BikeMake: AnyModel: AnyYear Start: 2000Year End: 2017Num. Winners: 1Num. Participants: 0

No Winners in this Classification to Display

Vintage MotorcycleMake: AnyModel: AnyYear Start: 1900Year End: 1979Num. Winners: 1Num. Participants: 3

1 66 0026 1984 Yamaha Yamaha Gregg Hansal

Cruiser (motorcycle)Make: AnyModel: AnyYear Start: 1900Year End: 2017Num. Winners: 1Num. Participants: 2

1 75 0008 2013 Yamaha FZ-09 Motorcycle John Bartolucci

Rat RodMake: AnyModel: AnyYear Start: 1900Year End: 2017Num. Winners: 1Num. Participants: 1

1 77.5 0101 1941 Chevy Pickup David Reiselt

TunerMake: AnyModel: AnyYear Start: 1960Year End: 2017Num. Winners: 1Num. Participants: 3

1 90.5 0083 2015 Custom Rail Buggy Libby Krupinski

49 and earlierMake: AnyModel: AnyYear Start: 1900Year End: 1949Num. Winners: 1Num. Participants: 8

1 95 0105 1936 Ford Coupe Keith Young

50'sMake: AnyModel: AnyYear Start: 1950Year End: 1959Num. Winners: 1Num. Participants: 4

1 74.67 0079 1954 Ford convertible Henry Brown

60'sMake: AnyModel: AnyYear Start: 1960Year End: 1969Num. Winners: 1Num. Participants: 12

1 83 0036 1962 chevy belair Pete Lieb

70'sMake: AnyModel: AnyYear Start: 1970Year End: 1979Num. Winners: 1Num. Participants: 9

1 69 0021 1979 Pontiac Trans Am 10th Anniversary Kurt Berschet

80'sMake: AnyModel: AnyYear Start: 1980Year End: 1989Num. Winners: 1Num. Participants: 2

1 66.5 0061 1984 Oldsmobile Cutlass Clasi Ray Leopard

90'sMake: AnyModel: AnyYear Start: 1990Year End: 1999Num. Winners: 1Num. Participants: 7

1 82 0084 1994 Chevy Corvette Chaz Freutel

2000'sMake: AnyModel: AnyYear Start: 2000Year End: 2017Num. Winners: 1Num. Participants: 7

1 62 0011 2004 Chevrolet SSR Mark Mitchell

Vintage EuropeanMake: AnyModel: AnyYear Start: 1900Year End: 1979Num. Winners: 1Num. Participants: 2

1 76.5 0104 1966 sunbeam Tiger Mike/Tina Swope

Modern EuropeanMake: AnyModel: AnyYear Start: 1980Year End: 2017Num. Winners: 1Num. Participants: 1

1 73.67 0015 2014 Bentley Continental GTC Speed Doc Ryan

Vintage non-European importMake: AnyModel: AnyYear Start: 1900Year End: 1979Num. Winners: 1Num. Participants: 1

1 71.25 0017 1973 Daihatsu Trimobile Craig Wright

Modern Non-EuropeanMake: AnyModel: AnyYear Start: 1980Year End: 2017Num. Winners: 1Num. Participants: 0

No Winners in this Classification to Display

StudentMake: AnyModel: AnyYear Start: 1900Year End: 2017Num. Winners: 1Num. Participants: 6

1 82.5 0001 1962 Ford Thunderbird Mikel Tatman

For those of you that made it out, I thank you again for your support. For those of you that missed it, I'll make sure we post up the date once it's chosen for next year. This year CR had the best support of any club with 5 entries. I'd like to see us continue that next year. If anyone has any feedback for me, please feel free to post it here or in PMs. We've already started the debriefing process internally, but more feedback is always welcome. Things we're looking at are, registration, judging, awards, food, raffle and 50/50, marketing, traffic and parking, sponsorship, etc.... I'll have a much bigger team next year so we can divide the load and be better ready to handle issues that pop up.

Thanks again everyone.

The beauty of car shows is you can plan for everything, and still have a nightmare pop up so all told I would give you and your team a solid 98%. The skies stayed great, the wind is something that's completely unpredictable. Nothing to be done and only minor casualties.

Even when we were unloading our cars and moving over to the vendor areas one of your folk came up and said, "Sir all of the car show cars need to be in this area, that is for vendors only" until I explained we WERE a vendor. Not many highschool age kids these days would have the gumption to walk up to an adult (me) and challenge what I'm doing. So kudos for that.

The buffalo chicken sliders were quite tasty as were the chips, and very reasonably placed at $3, then $1 for a drink. I can certainly handle $4 for a decent lunch at a show versus what most of us are used to! Really liked the idea of the QR codes on the check in sheets, makes it very technologically relevant and I imagine a whole lot easier on tallying scores. Interested to know how much interaction the fan favorite category got, not many people I know have any idea how to use a QR code even though its pretty damn simple.

I actually really like your show being this late in the year also, kind of a end of the Car Show Season event. There was a classic show at Byers that likely drew a few cars away but largely that was a VERY solid turn out.

Rick, sorry I only got to judge 1 group before having to go set up tailgating, but those QR codes were CLUTCH!!! Superfast.

Keep me in mind for judging next year...I love throwing my weight around at car shows. ;)

Congratulations on a successful show for the students! I'm sure it'll grow. The folks I spoke with all seem to really, really love Tolles and happy to support the school. Thanks for all your efforts in putting it together!