Kids without car seats. Pretty frustrating lately.

cstmg8

I have personally seen so many vehicles lately with small children (3 and under) with no car seats. Am I wrong to get so pissed off about this?

One was at our daycare, the rest have been spread out over town (some admittedly in lower income areas). Some not even buckled in!

My wife even bought a family a new car seat a couple weeks ago, because she saw them loading a 1yr old in the back seat with just a seat belt. They happened to be in the parking lot of baby's are us, so she respectfully asked if they had one.

Maybe it's because I'm a parent of two small children, but it really irks me. Just a sudden stop could injure your child for life.

Do you report them? Do you ignore it? What's right?

End rant.

Oh and I snapped a pic of this little guy while I was getting gas today:

155a9d28e79708b28e62787af9078a6d.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

"I didn't have a car seat when I was growing up, these kids will be fine just like I was."

or

"You're supposed to put them in car seats? But then they'll be annoying and loud."

EDIT: hahahahahaha first post after mine. You're right, it's not the end of the world, but the idea of the world is that we provide a better one when we leave it than when we arrived in it. car seats are a pretty goddamn easy way for people to provide a slightly better (safer) world for their kids, especially if they put down the goddamn iPhone in the driver's seat, or better yet didn't buy one so they can afford new tires for their POS car with no child car seats.

How about these things your fathers grew up with that turned out to be 100% scientifically proven to not be dangerous

7493467912_35d68e91a0_b.jpg

Rant over

May surprise you, my son is 6 and he sits in the rear seat of my car with no booster, doesn't need it, the back seat is tiny in the convertible. The link below may blow your mind, they are nothing more than a scam and have lobbyists in Washington to create law to drive their market. I always thought the fact they say they expire is hysterical. Watch the whole Ted talk.

I'll leave just one of many here for all to see.

https://www.today.com/health/mom-warns-about-car-seat-safety-after-daughter-nearly-sliced-t104541

Anyone here working in a hospital that has been exposed to a child in such an accident I'm sure can elaborate on how bad they are.

I personally would never have put my child in without one. It's critical that the lap and shoulder belts provide restraint in the correct place or when involved in a major accident things are not going to end well.

To the OP'ers point, I absolutely agree and see it as hugely frustrating. Worse is when I see kids jumping around in the back of the vehicle while on the road. Not only is it crazy stupid for them to be doing so and shame on the parents, but the Gaul for others to put the rest of us in such a position is amazing too. Very similar IMO to a motorcycle rider without a helmet. Both put themselves at HUGE risk to injury should our vehicles collide and that's not something I want to live with should the child be killed. Even if I'm not at fault in the accident, to know that the collision and death could have been avoided is sad.

If people want to risk their child's life, that's not okay with me but it's their child. To put others on the road in a position of such harm being in their potential outcome is just plain selfish and again, not okay.

As they say however, "you can't fix stupid"

May surprise you, my son is 6 and he sits in the rear seat of my car with no booster, doesn't need it, the back seat is tiny in the convertible.

My 6yo in the back of the BMW has the shoulder belt go right across his shoulder blade and chest. He's very comfy back there and so am I.

Not disagreeing with you, but after kids get to about 50lbs and or 4' in height, certain seating arrangements in comfortable with.

Until the kid can be safely restrained by the cars seat belt, they should probably be in a seat. No seatbelt at all though? wtf?

on the opposite side of the spectrum, growing up my next door neighbor had an insanely over protective mom, all the kids were in seats until they were at least 11 IIRC. I went somewhere for the kids birthday once and she forced me (10? at the time) into a seat and would ask individually each kid if they were still buckled up and ask others to confirm it. This occurred several times during each trip.

I'd rather kids have no booster seats at all than ever have to put up with that mentally scarring shit. It's no wonder the dad started cheating on her.

I'll leave just one of many here for all to see.

https://www.today.com/health/mom-warns-about-car-seat-safety-after-daughter-nearly-sliced-t104541

Anyone here working in a hospital that has been exposed to a child in such an accident I'm sure can elaborate on how bad they are.

I personally would never have put my child in without one. It's critical that the lap and shoulder belts provide restraint in the correct place or when involved in a major accident things are not going to end well.

To the OP'ers point, I absolutely agree and see it as hugely frustrating. Worse is when I see kids jumping around in the back of the vehicle while on the road. Not only is it crazy stupid for them to be doing so and shame on the parents, but the Gaul for others to put the rest of us in such a position is amazing too. Very similar IMO to a motorcycle rider without a helmet. Both put themselves at HUGE risk to injury should our vehicles collide and that's not something I want to live with should the child be killed. Even if I'm not at fault in the accident, to know that the collision and death could have been avoided is sad.

If people want to risk their child's life, that's not okay with me but it's their child. To put others on the road in a position of such harm being in their potential outcome is just plain selfish and again, not okay.

As they say however, "you can't fix stupid"

I couldn't agree with you more. My wife actually works for a non-profit that gives car seats away to low income families and some of the stuff she's shown me is horrendous.

Saying car seats are not important is like saying a properly fitted racing seat and buckles aren't needed in a race car. Hit the wall once and you'll appreciate having them.

And you can't compare motorcyclists to kids in car seats, motorcyclists are adults who can make their own decisions, kids are not. Both situations are stupid just different.

I agree they aren't the same. My point was simply that should an accident occur in either situation, innocent drivers around them are being put in a situation of extremely high risk of having a death on their conscience due in part to the the first party's poor choice. If it were me and a motorcyclist died without a helmet it would weigh heavy on me but not for long given IMO they were dumb for not protecting their head. However, to your point, in the case of a child, I'd feel bad for the child and angry at their parent(s).

My 6yo in the back of the BMW has the shoulder belt go right across his shoulder blade and chest. He's very comfy back there and so am I.

Not disagreeing with you, but after kids get to about 50lbs and or 4' in height, certain seating arrangements in comfortable with.

6yrs old and 50 lbs is much different than what I'm talking about. We're talking about kids under 3, which would be like >30lbs. Doubt you would have strapped your two year old back there.

To Tim's point, I also have seen kids not strapped in at all, bouncing around, even hanging out the window at lights.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

It is annoying for sure. I don't often pay much attention to what age said kids jumping around in a car are, but usually you can just tell they need to be in a seat.

Ad far as our parents ect...sure cars may be safer these days, but they are faster, there are a heck of a lot more of them too.

I know busses are tanks, but I am surprised they don't have belts yet. Just hard to account for all the OTHER cars on the road.

6yrs old and 50 lbs is much different than what I'm talking about. We're talking about kids under 3, which would be like >30lbs. Doubt you would have strapped your two year old back there.

To Tim's point, I also have seen kids not strapped in at all, bouncing around, even hanging out the window at lights.

AGREED. I see kids sticking their heads out of windows (on busy roads!) and instantly I start scanning around going "Please tell me a cop is watching this Please tell me there's a cop watching this" :lol:

Quite frankly, even if the kid isn't injured/killed in an accident as a result of improper restraint, I can't help but pass a liiiiiiiittle judgment on the parent/guardian driving the car; makes me wonder what other sorts of bad decisioning is going on in that child's upbringing.

:gabe:

BTW, I'm already a terrible parent as I brought up a similar topic when I started my famiry. ..

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84524&highlight=corvette+seat

The concern I have with kids and car seats lately comes from the recent trend of side, curtain, and seat airbags. Those explosive little pillows are more harmful to children than most people think and one of the reasons I like car seats with side impact protection is not to protect from the other car or the forces in an accident, but to put a little protective barrier between my kid and this rapidly inflating pillow that is exploding next to her head. I know that statistically speaking side impact airbags are safe for children, but all of those tests were performed with children in car seats...so....why not replicate the environment that yielded the safest results.

I've had adult friends injured by airbags, why not take the extra steps and protect a child from them as well.

I have let my kid rid in the front seat of my jeep from time to time, sometimes on a booster and sometimes not. She's tall enough for the belt now and the car does not have any airbags. The jeep seldom has a rear seat in it these days and with the booster back there the fold and tumble seat doesn't have any head protection so the front seat is actually safer.

"Ever notice that the dramatic rise in breast cancer rates coincides with the invention of mammography machines? COINCIDENCE? I'll never get a mammogram, they cause breast cancer." - Something a woman actually said to my mom who works for a breast cancer charity bringing mobile mammography units to low income areas.

That's probably my favorite argument of all time.

May surprise you, my son is 6 and he sits in the rear seat of my car with no booster, doesn't need it, the back seat is tiny in the convertible. The link below may blow your mind, they are nothing more than a scam and have lobbyists in Washington to create law to drive their market. I always thought the fact they say they expire is hysterical. Watch the whole Ted talk.

Your 6 yr old is REQUIRED and needs to be in a booster. Scam, really? Statistics and reasons why are easily found and i'm not talking about handpicked conspiracy theory ones.

Your 6 yr old is REQUIRED and needs to be in a booster. Scam, really? Statistics and reasons why are easily found and i'm not talking about handpicked conspiracy theory ones.

Yeah because a cop is gonna ask for a birth certificate on a 6 year old... I mean I keep it in my wallet. My 6 YO sits with the belt across his shoulder he’s tall and the seat in a mustang is tiny. Been next to many a cop at light with the top down, not a peep. Kid will be 7 soon, so no fucks given.

Steven did the test, watch the video, he proves they don’t make much of a difference. Seatbelts score just as well. Know how I know you didn’t watch the ted talk?

Look at all these new liberals on CR!

"Ohio's child passenger safety law requires the following: Children less than 4 years old or 40 pounds must use a child safety seat meeting federal motor vehicle safety standards. Children less than 8 years old, unless they are at least 4 feet, 9 inches tall must use a booster seat." - https://www.odh.ohio.gov/en/health/vipp/cps/Child-Passenger-Safety-Law

:thumbup:

KillJoy

BTW, I'm already a terrible parent as I brought up a similar topic when I started my famiry. ..

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84524&highlight=corvette+seat

Didn't you also let her ride in her Power Wheel in Cleetus' bed on the way to meets back then?

The concern I have with kids and car seats lately comes from the recent trend of side, curtain, and seat airbags. Those explosive little pillows are more harmful to children than most people think and one of the reasons I like car seats with side impact protection is not to protect from the other car or the forces in an accident, but to put a little protective barrier between my kid and this rapidly inflating pillow that is exploding next to her head. I know that statistically speaking side impact airbags are safe for children, but all of those tests were performed with children in car seats...so....why not replicate the environment that yielded the safest results.

Precisely why our kid's seat is in the middle. I understand that's not always a viable option, but when it is, we take it.

"Ohio's child passenger safety law requires the following: Children less than 4 years old or 40 pounds must use a child safety seat meeting federal motor vehicle safety standards. Children less than 8 years old, unless they are at least 4 feet, 9 inches tall must use a booster seat." - https://www.odh.ohio.gov/en/health/vipp/cps/Child-Passenger-Safety-Law

:thumbup:

KillJoy

/thread.

who gives a shit kids are leeching worms who eventually turn into left lane-hogging mouthbreathers hope it's 120 degrees in that car and they park for a starbucks mocha frappe grande to slowly sip for an hour then drive into a tree with their dead kid in the back

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/dr-evil-crying1.gif