Kia Stinger

RC K9

This is CR...NONE of you are paying over $30k for a Kia.

That being said, Randy Pobst cracked me up with his review of the Stinger and it does seem like a great platform. I've got a CTS-V that I'm going to drive into the ground so aside from the hatchback, I've already got everything the Stinger could offer me that I'd want (plus I have a stick :))

...except a decent interior. I really don’t understand why GM cannot get it right. My CTSv was comfortable but the interior is awful. That is where modern cars have improved so much in my opinion

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RWD Twin Turbo V6 paddle shifted for under $40k? Personally I absolutely love this car, have since it's rumors started actually panning out. Seeing how far the Optima has come in quality over the last 6-8 years is incredible. If I didn't have to look at the damn KIA logo on the steering wheel I wouldn't think twice!

Love the idea of the car, unfortunately (fortunately?) I've no need for one personally but I think it's a hell of a leap for a manufacturer trying to move up market and build something with "spirit" for a change not just a commuter.

For me, kind of goes the way of the Chevy SS.. love the car, love what it's capable of, love what it COULD be.. totally unsure who they are going to sell this to. Hopefully up and coming middleclassers who aren't badge obsessed.

...except a decent interior. I really don’t understand why GM cannot get it right. My CTSv was comfortable but the interior is awful. That is where modern cars have improved so much in my opinion

I'll definitely give that to you. Had 3 people in my V for a business lunch yesterday and everyone commented how comfy the seats are, but I even gave up how plasticky the interior is. Agreed that the engineering is good, but the interior execution was turrible.

I'll definitely give that to you. Had 3 people in my V for a business lunch yesterday and everyone commented how comfy the seats are, but I even gave up how plasticky the interior is. Agreed that the engineering is good, but the interior execution was turrible.

That being said - I will take that trade-off. Anything of comparable performance is thousands more and most of that extra is probably spent on interior materials.

RWD Twin Turbo V6 paddle shifted for under $40k? Personally I absolutely love this car, have since it's rumors started actually panning out. Seeing how far the Optima has come in quality over the last 6-8 years is incredible. If I didn't have to look at the damn KIA logo on the steering wheel I wouldn't think twice!

Love the idea of the car, unfortunately (fortunately?) I've no need for one personally but I think it's a hell of a leap for a manufacturer trying to move up market and build something with "spirit" for a change not just a commuter.

For me, kind of goes the way of the Chevy SS.. love the car, love what it's capable of, love what it COULD be.. totally unsure who they are going to sell this to. Hopefully up and coming middleclassers who aren't badge obsessed.

IIRC they were considering a V8 version too. Like you I can appreciate the essence of it, but for $40k it needs to really step up the materials to the point that the logo and steering wheel are a bit more. SIlly points but then that's the basis of my point. Just like the SS needs to be more Holden in trim and banding to be attractive IMO. Will be interesting to see if the tuner market responds to the point where they can get them into the 12's or better.

I like it. But godDAMN can I get a fucking manual in a sports car, please? Fuck.

:lolguy:

Is that a sports car? :confused:

It's a sports sedan.

TL;DR.

If you're posting on CR at 10:10am on a weekday morning, your dreams are already crushed anyway.

Mic drop.

Idgaf what badge is on the steering wheel. TT V6 rwd or awd...id rock the shiz out of it if I could afford it. Close friend of mine is a very good mechanic that works at used lots and deal with pretty much everything under the sun and his two favorite brands are Hyundai and Kia. Sees fewer issues with them than murican, German, and even a few of the jap brands.

I've been watching these. Very much considering a used one in the future. If they come with anything close to the 10year/100k mile warranty on other kias I'd be ecstatic. The optima turbo already responds great to a tune, i'd expect stage 1 to easily take these to 400bhp or higher.

It was the head of the BMW M Division.

close 'nuff

I wonder how many opinions here would change if 2-3 years later they introduce a special higher performance edition (such as Hyundai has done, with the "Veloster N") maybe increase displacement to 3.7, up the turbos a bit...500hp?

close 'nuff

I wonder how many opinions here would change if 2-3 years later they introduce a special higher performance edition (such as Hyundai has done, with the "Veloster N") maybe increase displacement to 3.7, up the turbos a bit...500hp?

"Meh".

IIRC they hired one of the lead designers from Audi for this car

Albert Biermann was an engineer in the M-Series Group for BMW but yes, prior to that, they stole Peter Schreyer one of Audi's lead designers. Peter is the one that led the infusion of their Tiger's Mouth Grill Styling which carries over into the Stinger.

IMO the Koreans should have reserved this car for the Genesis Line up and branded it as such.

IMO the Koreans should have reserved this car for the Genesis Line up and branded it as such.

They already use the same drivetrain in the G80 Sport. I think it's the same chassis too but can't find a definite answer

You really think the Taurus looks better than the Stinger?

Yes. I'm surprised how many people on here think the Stinger is an attractive car. There are a lot of things I don't like about the looks but specifically that C-pillar is downright hideous. Looks are obviously subjective so YMMV but I don't think this Stinger is a good looking car at all.

Yes. I'm surprised how many people on here think the Stinger is an attractive car. There are a lot of things I don't like about the looks but specifically that C-pillar is downright hideous. Looks are obviously subjective so YMMV but I don't think this Stinger is a good looking car at all.

I'm not hating. I get everyone has opinions. I don't think the Taurus looks *bad*, I just think it doesn't look good, either. But to each their own. Don't want you thinking I was being snide and looking down like I think my opinion is the bestest opinion ever. Ha ha. Rereading my response without the ability to convey tone made me realize I probably came across as a pr*ck. I just thought based on what i's seen so far, the Stinger looks a little sleeker/sportier than the Taurus.

I'm not hating. I get everyone has opinions. I don't think the Taurus looks *bad*, I just think it doesn't look good, either. But to each their own. Don't want you thinking I was being snide and looking down like I think my opinion is the bestest opinion ever. Ha ha. Rereading my response without the ability to convey tone made me realize I probably came across as a pr*ck. I just thought based on what i's seen so far, the Stinger looks a little sleeker/sportier than the Taurus.

Nah you're good brother, I didn't feel any negative tone from your comment :cool:

To me, it just looks like an Optima that's trying too hard