Kia Stinger

RC K9

Agree. I have money on the fact that the G70 will outsell and steal business from the Stinger. Nicer car, better image in the industry and honestly, a way way better looking car inside and out. I would own one in a heartbeat. IMO the miss they had was it and the Stinger should have crossed the 400hp mark. Why they held back from that is beyond me.

Splitting hairs, but i'd prefer the looks of the Stinger, (again, hillbilly so my opinion is pretty much null and void); however, I definitely agree with you on the 400hp mark. I saw somewhere that max PSI stock from these turbos on this car is 26psi though, and i'd assume they are baby turbos like what's on the TT EB motors, so I don't know how much more they could safely squeeze boost wise out of those turbos without running into heatsoak, and potentially snapped shafts, (think MHI TD05 20G's; proven amazing turbos that easily flow enough air for 400hp, but start running them above 26-27psi consistently and you start seeing snapped shafts).

That being said, a little bigger turbos on there and more timing on the low end, and 400+ should be a breeze. I could totally be off on that, but the ricer in me is pretty anxious to see what the aftermarket can do with these things. I'd guess with a little bigger turbo(s), and some tuning, 500-600 shouldn't be hard for them at all. Heck 400-500 on a single turbo 4cyl 4g63 has been pretty easy to do for decades.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw somewhere that max PSI stock from these turbos on this car is 26psi though, and i'd assume they are baby turbos like what's on the TT EB motors, so I don't know how much more they could safely squeeze boost wise out of those turbos without running into heatsoak, and potentially snapped shafts, (think MHI TD05 20G's; proven amazing turbos that easily flow enough air for 400hp, but start running them above 26-27psi consistently and you start seeing snapped shafts)..

I have no knowledge of what the boost levels are or what the turbos are like. The tiny ones on my Q50 are running 14.5 max boost stock and they put out 400hp+. I'm running +3psi max and that's perfectly fine with me. It definitely wakes it up down low. Feels like a Stage II S4 now which I enjoyed for 2 years on my Audi. Lots of folks are running +4-7psi more but that's not for me this go-round. I should have stayed at a Stage II on my S4 but went Dual Pulley because I could. Doing so really does require an additional investment of removing the cats and that was just way more money than I wanted to spend for another year so of keeping it.

I have no knowledge of what the boost levels are or what the turbos are like. The tiny ones on my Q50 are running 14.5 max boost stock and they put out 400hp+. I'm running +3psi max and that's perfectly fine with me. It definitely wakes it up down low. Feels like a Stage II S4 now which I enjoyed for 2 years on my Audi. Lots of folks are running +4-7psi more but that's not for me this go-round. I should have stayed at a Stage II on my S4 but went Dual Pulley because I could. Doing so really does require an additional investment of removing the cats and that was just way more money than I wanted to spend for another year so of keeping it.

I haven't been able to find what turbos are used on the 3.3 V6 yet. I'll be continuing to keep a lookout for that info if for nothing more than my own edification. I'm not smart enough to predict how things would play out on this platform, but in my experience, *generally speaking* on my 4G platform I would get around 10hp gain for every pound of boost increase. (Again there are a lot of variables and that # could change based on the turbo being used and such)

Damn...lowered on fat meats that thing looks sweet.

The ONLY thing really bugging me about the styling are the FUCKING FAKE VENTS ON THE HOOD. :no:

Just needs an aftermarket carbon fiber hood with no vents, and it'd be all good.

Damn...lowered on fat meats that thing looks sweet.

The ONLY thing really bugging me about the styling are the FUCKING FAKE VENTS ON THE HOOD. :no:

Just trying to be like the American cars.

And? Verdict?

without considering "Kia" emblem bias, I quite liked it.

the power transition was better than my expectation, sounded just good enough for a DD sports sedan, Brembos were nice 4P/2P combo. More than enough bells and whistles, driver assist, Hifi sound systems like Harman Kardon Quantum logic.. etc,

I drive a 7 series bmw for Daily myself, heated steering wheel and cooling seats worked much better than bmw.

Interior looked kind of missing something around AC vents with cheaper looking plastic.

I test drove 540i and Mercedez E400 (similar power range) right after Stinger and here is my opinion (strictly my personal opinion as a regular daily driver standpoint)

Compared to Mercedes E400

-Price tag was around around $75,000~ $84,000

-E400's tranny and power transition to Driver feedback weren't clicking well

-Dual Screen option interior looked amazing

-That's about it, would never pay that much for an E class

Compared to 540i M sports

-similar price tag to Mercedes

-much better power transition

-tighter suspension

-didn't like too much of interior, not much improvement from F10

Stinger 4banger starts around $30,000, GT starts out $40,000 range up to $52,000 for loaded GT2 option AWD.

You can get them RWD or AWD. They were running discounts and rebates which brought down from $52,000 to $48,000 right off the bet without negotiation.

Will I buy it?

Car itself is very fun to drive for a midsize sedan and For the price, you are comparing $75,000 car worth of performance/ options in the same segment compared to germans. I would still drive it over Japanese competition cars.

However, $50k is still high for me to justify buying a Kia. (not saying Kias are bad, but I just don't think their brand name value is up there yet)

I'm looking forward to Genesis G70 though (smaller version with same powertrain from hyundai) with better looking interior.

Hyundai, Kia have come a long way and there is no doubt their engineering and quality can stand beside JDMs.

They are also tapping into world class races with their N division, been killing TCR races with their I30 N car, I20 N WRC cars winning champions.

Maybe after 2 years or so when the price depreciates, I might consider it for a daily driver.

without considering "Kia" emblem bias, I quite liked it.

the power transition was better than my expectation, sounded just good enough for a DD sports sedan, Brembos were nice 4P/2P combo. More than enough bells and whistles, driver assist, Hifi sound systems like Harman Kardon Quantum logic.. etc,

I drive a 7 series bmw for Daily myself, heated steering wheel and cooling seats worked much better than bmw.

Interior looked kind of missing something around AC vents with cheaper looking plastic.

I test drove 540i and Mercedez E400 (similar power range) right after Stinger and here is my opinion (strictly my personal opinion as a regular daily driver standpoint)

Compared to Mercedes E400

-Price tag was around around $75,000~ $84,000

-E400's tranny and power transition to Driver feedback weren't clicking well

-Dual Screen option interior looked amazing

-That's about it, would never pay that much for an E class

Compared to 540i M sports

-similar price tag to Mercedes

-much better power transition

-tighter suspension

-didn't like too much of interior, not much improvement from F10

Stinger 4banger starts around $30,000, GT starts out $40,000 range up to $52,000 for loaded GT2 option AWD.

You can get them RWD or AWD. They were running discounts and rebates which brought down from $52,000 to $48,000 right off the bet without negotiation.

Will I buy it?

Car itself is very fun to drive for a midsize sedan and For the price, you are comparing $75,000 car worth of performance/ options in the same segment compared to germans. I would still drive it over Japanese competition cars.

However, $50k is still high for me to justify buying a Kia. (not saying Kias are bad, but I just don't think their brand name value is up there yet)

I'm looking forward to Genesis G70 though (smaller version with same powertrain from hyundai) with better looking interior.

Hyundai, Kia have come a long way and there is no doubt their engineering and quality can stand beside JDMs.

They are also tapping into world class races with their N division, been killing TCR races with their I30 N car, I20 N WRC cars winning champions.

Maybe after 2 years or so when the price depreciates, I might consider it for a daily driver.

Cool thanks - great info. It would be hard for me to pull the trigger as well for the same reason.

I feel like the Kia badge means either you hold the car for 2 years on a lease or 10 years and drive it into the ground if you buy it just because the depreciation is so bad. Still, I feel like this is the car that will turn a corner for Kia and put them in mainstream acceptance, much the way the Genesis changed peoples' perception of Hyundai. Kia still needs to make other cars to the same value/caliber to change the brand perception from "that company that makes the shitpile rio" to "that company that offers a good car with a lot of value for the money", so I am kind of excited to see what their next car is. I am kind of hoping for an enthusiasts' car.

Currently "driving a Kia into the ground". 8 years old with 100k miles. It's a tank and has had 0 mechanical issues. I've only had to change fluids and brakes. I think that Kias are amazing daily drivers in the $30k range.

which model? I've heard good things about the Forte (esp koup models) but man that Rio left a lot of salty people in it's wake.