Later Crew SC

SpaceGhost

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get why they are saying they want to be downtown. They are 5 freaking minutes from downtown, about the same distance as Clipper Stadium.. Do they just want to be in the arena district or what? Sounds like BS to me.

Clippers play literally downtown lol Did you not know the Clippers moved?

T bone was whining like a bitch about this on the way home. I believe he even started crying and stopped talking. LOLOL

Not all soccer fans are bad and are someone sane people, however...

Some of the hipster comments I've seen about this on social media have been pure comedy gold. They really don't know their place on the sports depth chart in this town, and the comparisons to OSU football were straight funny.

This is a money grab by the owner, I hope the team goes to Austin and folds like a card table. Our tax dollars don't need to go to yet another failing sports structure in Franklin county.

Fuck 'em.

use it for City League Football games and HS football and soccer tournaments.

Don't forget concerts, the state fair may be able to attract some bigger names with a larger venue than the building they use on the fairgrounds now.

Good call. I can't tell you how much Crew Soccer Stadium, LLC brings in from Rock on the Range...

...but it's a lot. :eek:

:thumbup:

Use that Stadium like the Arny uses the Convention Center! Bring in ALL the City Championships!!! Help fill that Leveque Tower with local $$$$$!!

KillJoy

Some of the hipster comments I've seen about this on social media have been pure comedy gold. They really don't know their place on the sports depth chart in this town, and the comparisons to OSU football were straight funny.

I've had a similar conversations with CBJ fans in the past. Most are realist in saying that until a major pro sport wins MULTIPLE championships it won't be on the same level (locally) as OSUFB. Add to the fact that soccer, much like hockey and maybe even moreso, is a total niche sport and you're fighting an uphill battle.

CBJ recognized this years ago and this is why they will never schedule a game the same time as an OSUFB game and definitely not a home game at that.

The more I read about Precourt and how he angled this "deal" the more it seems that the deal is already done with Austin. oh well.

I don't get why they are saying they want to be downtown. They are 5 freaking minutes from downtown, about the same distance as Clipper Stadium.. Do they just want to be in the arena district or what? Sounds like BS to me.

My guess is Crew ownership wants to be in or around Arena district similar to the other two sport stadiums. Not an easy task, property values are soaring down there and there's not exactly a lot of acreage to choose from.

The more this goes on, the more it seems like a big marketing ploy to get the city of Columbus to pay for a nice new stadium downtown. Would all of the big Crew fans (all 5,000 of them) still be pissed at this owner if this strategy worked and the Crew got a nice new stadium in the heart of downtown Columbus?

The more this goes on, the more it seems like a big marketing ploy to get the city of Columbus to pay for a nice new stadium downtown. Would all of the big Crew fans (all 5,000 of them) still be pissed at this owner if this strategy worked and the Crew got a nice new stadium in the heart of downtown Columbus?

You sure are salty about Soccer

Clippers play literally downtown lol Did you not know the Clippers moved?

Lol yea I knew they moved but they are still kind of west of downtown. I didnt think they were any further away than MapFre stadium but Clippers stadium is in the arena district..

Soccer banged his mom and won't call her back.:gabe:

I appreciate all of the Monday-morning quarterbacking the business community is doing, asking questions about what happened, but the Columbus Foundation flat out offered to buy 50% of the Crew from Precourt. We met with them in September and the idea of sponsorship was floated but we don't have the budget for it. Precourt overpaid for the franchise in 2013 because he wanted to win in C'Bus or move to Austin...all along.

I'm not salty about Precourt: bidness is bidness. He will get a newer stadium there. Newer stadium should get butts in the seats. He's not getting a new stadium up here, paid for by a city still paying for an Arena where a prison once stood (good investment of public money, IMO) unless the private sector steps up in a major way. The attendance is still supes low. I go to 1-2 games a year and I drink Land Grants until I can't feel my butt and the drone of vuvuzelas goes away. I love the Nordecke nut-jobs...raise a glass to those super fans every game.

It's a great franchise, but the owner is in f**king SAN FRANCISCO...he's going to make a business call, not a keeping-it-local call.

Remember the NFL......

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/nfl-new-stadiums-public-funding-how-much-atlanta-san-diego-minnesota-los-angeles-033116

These are about the only two places they could build a new stadium. I'm guessing the northern location is gobbled up by developers?

The dispatch article above makes it seem like both are owned by developers

Left circle is the old Union Tool and Die site...to be developed.

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2017/08/08/exclusive-23-acre-arena-district-resort-style.html

The north circle is Jeffrey Park/Italian Village site...to be developed.

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2016/02/16/developer-to-build-6-more-high-end-homes-at.html

BTW, this was knowledge of city neighborhoods and landmarks, and simple google searching with "real estate development" next to it. :lol:

Point is, for Columbus, OH...downtown development will be mixed-use residential/flex office space/street-level parking garages or retail to allow Millennials and Gen Z's a place downtown that they can live, work, and walk to amenities. They pay rent every month. The businesses pay rent every month. People pay for parking. It's not a stadium with a choppy income stream.

Left circle is the old Union Tool and Die site...to be developed.

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2017/08/08/exclusive-23-acre-arena-district-resort-style.html

The north circle is Jeffrey Park/Italian Village site...to be developed.

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2016/02/16/developer-to-build-6-more-high-end-homes-at.html

BTW, this was knowledge of city neighborhoods and landmarks, and simple google searching with "real estate development" next to it. :lol:

Point is, for Columbus, OH...downtown development will be mixed-use residential/flex office space/street-level parking garages or retail to allow Millennials and Gen Z's a place downtown that they can live, work, and walk to amenities. They pay rent every month. The businesses pay rent every month. People pay for parking. It's not a stadium with a choppy income stream.

Logic...

Gotta save that arena district area for the next Amazon HQ anyway.

I am unrealisticly holding out hope that we win Amazon HQ2...sooo many good things going on in our city and region.

If not C'Bus, then maybe Cleveland or Cincy? As I've gotten older I've realized what's good for Ohio (other cities, too) is good for Columbus.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/the-avenue/2017/09/08/which-cities-are-well-positioned-to-land-amazons-hq2/

I am unrealisticly holding out hope that we win Amazon HQ2...sooo many good things going on in our city and region.

If not C'Bus, then maybe Cleveland or Cincy? As I've gotten older I've realized what's good for Ohio (other cities, too) is good for Columbus.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/the-avenue/2017/09/08/which-cities-are-well-positioned-to-land-amazons-hq2/

Or Maybe Precourt knows HQ2 is likely to end up in Austin, and then he can have Prime Stadium, for the Austin Crew?

That would add some corp. sponsor and population to put butts in seats...

No lol I just don't really care. I literally could give 2 fucks about the Columbus Crew going away. Never watched a game and never will. If I did care about soccer, it wouldn't be MLS (Minor League Soccer). After seeing everyone cry about it, I kinda hope they do move just to piss people like you off

No lol I just don't really care. I literally could give 2 fucks about the Columbus Crew going away. Never watched a game and never will. If I did care about soccer, it wouldn't be MLS (Minor League Soccer). After seeing everyone cry about it, I kinda hope they do move just to piss people like you off

I haven't been to a soccer game in probably 10 years. But losing the team will hurt the image of the city and will be an economic loss.