Later Crew SC

SpaceGhost

I am unrealisticly holding out hope that we win Amazon HQ2...sooo many good things going on in our city and region.

If not C'Bus, then maybe Cleveland or Cincy? As I've gotten older I've realized what's good for Ohio (other cities, too) is good for Columbus.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/the-avenue/2017/09/08/which-cities-are-well-positioned-to-land-amazons-hq2/

I have a good friend in corp. real estate his take is, "cbus will make a final list but ultimately wont win the bid. But just the fact that cbus made the short list will expose the city and area to other companies looking to relocate and in turn get that business." Apparently it's happened before in other industries just not on this scale of course (50k jobs averaging 100k annually).

The only downside I can see is home prices skyrocketing, especially in places like UA, Dublin, Bexley (albeit on a smaller scale) and to a lesser extent Worthington, Clintonville. Yeah the campus is suppose to house the workers but how many of those worker's will have families and want their kids in good schools etc...

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't been to a soccer game in probably 10 years. But losing the team will hurt the image of the city and will be an economic loss.

Completely agree. I'm far from a soccer fan but anytime a city loses a team or organization it usually reflects badly for the city.

I haven't been to a soccer game in probably 10 years. But losing the team will hurt the image of the city and will be an economic loss.

What about using tax payer money to pay for a brand new stadium? I'd be willing to bet 98.5% of the people in this country has no idea Columbus even has a soccer team to begin with.

What about using tax payer money to pay for a brand new stadium? I'd be willing to bet 98.5% of the people in this country has no idea Columbus even has a soccer team to begin with.

No, I am not for tax payer money for a new stadium.

As for your 98.5% number, got any more shit falling out of your ass you want to throw at the screen? Columbus is the CHARTER team of the MLS. MLS's average gate is higher than NHL or NBA.

No, I am not for tax payer money for a new stadium.

As for your 98.5% number, got any more shit falling out of your ass you want to throw at the screen? Columbus is the CHARTER team of the MLS. MLS's average gate is higher than NHL or NBA.

What do you mean average gate?

you do understand that when they say "Taxpayer money" they mean state, city, and local taxes right? Nobody is talking about federal tax money in this situation.

what does 98.5% of the people in this country knowing about the crew have to do with the State of Ohio and the city of Columbus spending it's tax revenue on the stadium?

you do understand that when they say "Taxpayer money" they mean state, city, and local taxes right? Nobody is talking about federal tax money in this situation.

what does 98.5% of the people in this country knowing about the crew have to do with the State of Ohio and the city of Columbus spending it's tax revenue on the stadium?

Dude go read the end of page 2 again. Christ... :dumb:

That's kind of misleading. NBA/NHL play nearly 3x as many games, and attendance per game is still pretty damn close. Cavs are a bit higher, Jackets are slightly below.

Not really. MLS averages about 3k more per game. The number becomes misleading if you were to say that the NBA total attendence is 3x that of MLS

Or Maybe Precourt knows HQ2 is likely to end up in Austin, and then he can have Prime Stadium, for the Austin Crew?

Losing the team will hurt the image of the city and will be an economic loss.

I have a good friend in corp. real estate his take is, "cbus will make a final list but ultimately wont win the bid. But just the fact that cbus made the short list will expose the city and area to other companies looking to relocate and in turn get that business." Apparently it's happened before in other industries just not on this scale of course (50k jobs averaging 100k annually).

The only downside I can see is home prices skyrocketing, especially in places like UA, Dublin, Bexley (albeit on a smaller scale) and to a lesser extent Worthington, Clintonville. Yeah the campus is suppose to house the workers but how many of those worker's will have families and want their kids in good schools etc...

+1 to the points above.

This morning, I was looking at Columbus' "Amazon HQ2" submission (posted in Columbus Business First) and I thought the same thing as Brandon: I'm hoping Precourt doesn't know something we don't know about where they are going.

I also see coverage on COTA, Austin Music Festivals, etc and I am jealous of the activity in that city. I do love Columbus and anything like this that can elevate our stature on a global stage would be welcome.

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2017/10/20/columbus-amazon-pitch-includes-incentives-an.html?ana=e_ae_set1&s=article_du&ed=2017-10-20&u=lcAk5Whw9aw4bexeEj%2BA0Q0342b143&t=1508771387&j=79028881

My concern to our post - playing to Carl's comment above - is that a lot of the infrastructure is a "promise-to-deliver", not something already in place. Two items I see as seriously valuable for us as opposed to anything TX is:

- cheap cost-of-living

- everything Texas is SPRAWL. It's difficult to consider a focused area with ready access to mass-transit because it's friggin' highway ribbons as far as the eye can see around any major cities I've visited down there for work.

+1 to the points above.

This morning, I was looking at Columbus' "Amazon HQ2" submission (posted in Columbus Business First) and I thought the same thing as Brandon: I'm hoping Precourt doesn't know something we don't know about where they are going.

I also see coverage on COTA, Austin Music Festivals, etc and I am jealous of the activity in that city. I do love Columbus and anything like this that can elevate our stature on a global stage would be welcome.

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2017/10/20/columbus-amazon-pitch-includes-incentives-an.html?ana=e_ae_set1&s=article_du&ed=2017-10-20&u=lcAk5Whw9aw4bexeEj%2BA0Q0342b143&t=1508771387&j=79028881

My concern to our post - playing to Carl's comment above - is that a lot of the infrastructure is a "promise-to-deliver", not something already in place. Two items I see as seriously valuable for us as opposed to anything TX is:

- cheap cost-of-living

- everything Texas is SPRAWL. It's difficult to consider a focused area with ready access to mass-transit because it's friggin' highway ribbons as far as the eye can see around any major cities I've visited down there for work.

I'm still holding out for Detroit getting HQ2.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Yup. And they have a hard time breathing on the court because it sits on top of the Red Wings ice. It's a nice arena but you draw on a much larger pool of high income people who will buy tickets for 100 games if you're in the burbs (like the old arena).

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Do owners bare any burden on paying for these arenas? I mean do they even pay a percentage or does the city/tax payers pay for their arena while they bring in the profits?

The answer is yes, no, and maybe.

On it's face, and absent any agreements or municipal ownership, yes. The responsibility of the stadium falls on the owners of the team.

However, A sports franchise does have some social benefit to a city and state, and many owners often leverage that to get the municipality and sometimes the state to kick in some money. The more entrenched a sports franchise is and the more revenue it generates for the community, the more they can get the local government to kick in. It's not all one sided for the owners however, whomever builds the stadium "owns" it and therefore has a right to concession and parking rights and revenue.

Absent that, some teams will sell the naming rights to private companies and have the company finance the stadium in part or whole. That's how you end up with things like "the Prudential Center" or "Citi Field".

In stark reality, these stadiums are often structured deals with some combination of all three paying into the costs of construction and operation. For expansion teams, if a city is lobbying really hard, the league may make it a condition of approval that a new stadium is built putting the responsibility of putting the deal together on the City where the team will be located.

And all this is before we talk about the land the stadium is built on. Often the land is leased from the city itself. It's rare for an owner to own both the land the stadium it is built on and the stadium itself.

An interesting deviation is the Green Bay Packers. They are "owned" by mostly the community that lives in Green Bay through a publicly traded not for profit. Because of the strong community ownership, the local government of Green Bay bore the cost of Lambeau field as well as "City Stadium" before it because the members of the community lobbied and voted for it.

My home field in Baseball is another interesting case to look at. As part of the Expansion of the National League and granting NY the Mets a new stadium had to be built. Walter O'Malley (former owner of the Bklyn Dodgers) got into a fight with Robert Moses (NYC's most famous Public Works Commissioner) over who would own the Met's new stadium O'Malley wanted full ownership so he could keep parking and concession, whereas NYC wanted that revenue for itself. In the end O'malley ended up paying out of pocket to build Shea Stadium (named after william shea), but the government punished him by only allowing him to sign a 30 year lease which he would have to renew. Shea Stadium was replaced by Citi Field which was financed by Citibank ($850 million) and the City of NY ($615 million via subsidies and bond sales). Guess who owns the revenue.

So....make sense?

The Crew have a sweet heart deal on the lease for the current stadium as well, $75,000 a year...That is literal theft. I heard some goobers saying well he has to pay on the lease until 2023 or what ever...That amount of money has no effect on a potential deal, its rounding error.

The Crew have a sweet heart deal on the lease for the current stadium as well, $75,000 a year...That is literal theft. I heard some goobers saying well he has to pay on the lease until 2023 or what ever...That amount of money has no effect on a potential deal, its rounding error.

And they get between $1million and $2million per year for the naming rights for "Mapfre Stadium". So just selling the name pays for the land and extras.

I believe the Crew also have the concession rights and that may actually be a sore spot for them because without attendance, concession doesn't generate as much revenue (or at all). If they haven't been making money on concessions, then trying to force the city to build the stadium for them makes more sense because the costs would transfer to the City and if it hasn't been making money, then it's one more loss to move off the books.

I'm always against teams trying to hold cities hostage for free stadiums. Get a stadium but pay the tax payers back like every other business deal works. No reason for them to get all the profits and have none of the up front costs for the stadium. Let them leave.

Welp, my guess is they are close to a deal in Austin and that's the main reason they are letting 2018 ticket holders out of their contracts. Also, they used to have awesome concessions there, now they are garbage. I'd assume that was always part of the plan to get out. Where do we sign up to be an expansion team...

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk