Truck recommendations

Big A

Looking into getting a truck for work and trying to figure out where and what to start test driving first. I have always been in work vans so wanted to see what others might recommend or not recommend. I work in the construction industry so it will mostly be used for hauling tools, materials and driving from job to job. Needs to be reliable as it will see a good amount of miles. Price point somewhere in the $20-30K range.

Also Looking for dry, secure bed storage opinions like a tonneau cover and maybe some sort of pack rat system. What have you had and like or not liked.

Some on top of the list at first glance include

-Toyota tundra

-Honda Ridgeline

-F150

used or new?

If you are looking at a ridgeline, can I suggest a Nissan Frontier? $30K gets you a really well optioned new one, it comes in stick, and it's been on the market forever and is stone reliable. The other two trucks you are looking at (f-150, tundra) are fullsize, but the ridgeline isn't a fullsize, it's a mid-size in the same realm as the tacoma, frontier, and colorado so it fits.

That being said, I've had about 3 rental eco-boost F150s in the last 2 years and loved every one of them, but then again I only drove them for a week at a time (little more than a 1000 miles each time going to NY and back).

It's getting close to that time of year where I see the GM dealers put the $10K off sale signs on their pickups (I think they call it "Truck Month").

http://www.chevrolet.com/

I come from a GM family so I am obligated to say buy a silverado.

^ This. Bought my crew cab fx4 new for 31,xxx. This is my 2nd new one and no complaints. Could probably get a regular or extended cab under 30k. I have a full cap on mine just because I prefer all the dry secure storage but tonneau covers are cheap enough.

I’m in love with my Avalanche. Full size crew cab if I need seating for 4 adults comfortably, 6 adults short term. I can also haul full size sheets of plywood under cover by folding the rear seat. The tool boxes in the bed rails are great. Bed panels come off easy to haul larger items. Bed is about 4x5 with the full cab, 4x8 with the rear seat folded. Should be able to find a decent one in your price range.

I would say F150 because the EcoBoost is just plain fun (and I own one), reliable, and legit moves out for a truck.. but the '16+ Silverados have almost the same power as the in their V8. I like Chevy's MyLink over SYNC, as well as their other computery stuff/creature comforts, but that's personal preference. Only "downside" is the 5.3's have cylinder deactivation.

Go take this thing for a spin.. looks pretty cool imo:

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=467670737

Or if you're willing to make the drive to Cambridge, Jordan can hook you up with something at Jet Auto Group; He's always got a pile of trucks on his lot. Also, you can test drive shit all day long with no pressure.

Edited by Not Brian

used or new?

If you are looking at a ridgeline, can I suggest a Nissan Frontier? $30K gets you a really well optioned new one, it comes in stick, and it's been on the market forever and is stone reliable. The other two trucks you are looking at (f-150, tundra) are fullsize, but the ridgeline isn't a fullsize, it's a mid-size in the same realm as the tacoma, frontier, and colorado so it fits.

That being said, I've had about 3 rental eco-boost F150s in the last 2 years and loved every one of them, but then again I only drove them for a week at a time (little more than a 1000 miles each time going to NY and back).

This. Had me 100% here. Lost me at buying a GM just because. :lol:

Oh, and I believe dad told me when they went to get moms new vehicle last night that Ford is advertising $10k off on theirs as well. Could get a nice Ecoboost around there.

Ricart just had them slashed iirc 14 last weekend but dont quote me on that as I am not in sales

used or new?

It's getting close to that time of year where I see the GM dealers put the $10K off sale signs on their pickups (I think they call it "Truck Month").

http://www.chevrolet.com/

I come from a GM family so I am obligated to say buy a silverado.

Not set on new or used. The Ridgeline was as i have owned hondas and like their reliability. I know they are smaller and i have never been in a ridgeline yet to check how it would fit. It was more off brand and reliability was the appeal. I'm not sold on full size or smaller either, the Nissan Frontier might be a good option. If something smaller with a better warranty and pricing might be a good fit too. Will have to check them out.

I’m in love with my Avalanche. Full size crew cab if I need seating for 4 adults comfortably, 6 adults short term. I can also haul full size sheets of plywood under cover by folding the rear seat. The tool boxes in the bed rails are great. Bed panels come off easy to haul larger items. Bed is about 4x5 with the full cab, 4x8 with the rear seat folded. Should be able to find a decent one in your price range.

I do like them too. I got to drive one a little bit at an older job as the owner had one. Always fit good and like how they feel. Just wished they didn't stop making them so their would be newer with less miles. The couple i have found are beat to hell and still want a ton of money for them.

Hoping to get out this weekend and walk around some dealers to check out any specials and to see how bad i can get harassed

I'll be in the market soon for a truck but I need something that can tow. I've been looking at 1500 GM products but it seems a lot of the newer ones don't have the 5.3 in them.

I guess I need to see what kind of towing capacity the F-150 Eco boosts have.

I really would prefer a 2500, but most of those are out of my price range that haven't been beat all to shit.

FWIW I have a Bakflip MX4 cover on my 2016 F150 and it's nearly waterproof. Heavy rains I get a little water in the bed corners by the tailgate... I could probably get it better if I loosened it and fit it a bit more. But it's waterproof enough that I haul server equipment and stuff back there without worrying.

I'll be in the market soon for a truck but I need something that can tow. I've been looking at 1500 GM products but it seems a lot of the newer ones don't have the 5.3 in them.

I guess I need to see what kind of towing capacity the F-150 Eco boosts have.

F150 ecoboost 12,200 pounds.

most silverados were like 10k but some of the new ones with the right combos 12k.

2500 if your towing often. Pay now vs later.

• 3 weeks later...

Well still looking around and feel a full size is more what I would like. I was wondering what everyone thinks about the ram 1500s. Seems like they offer a pretty good bang for your buck vs others. I'm sure ther is a reason for this though. Looking around at 2016/2017 big horns.

The tundra is coming in at a close 2nd right now. So far I am Unsuccessful in finding a ford or chevy in my range that isn't older with more miles then I would like.

Edited by Big A

My dad just got a 17 ram 1500 hemi 4wd crew cab short bed, towing package, underbody skid plates, bed liner, back up camera. Took some haggling and abuse but we got it down to 30,640 from like 44,5xx at performance Chrysler in delaware. Go drive a hemi with an 8 spd. It's fun.