Ventress getting a cottontail

RC K9

Finally got a video of Ventress getting a bunny yesterday. The flight was so long, I didn't see her connect. In fact, at first, I had thought she missed until I was almost to her location and I could hear the bunny.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Really cool, looks like she's getting pretty efficient. Is that a custom hawk selfie stick, or something readily available in the hobby?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Yeah, she is getting pretty good. She is at 23 rabbits, 12 rats, and a few birds this season. I am hoping to get her on jackrabbits on the 6th or 7th if the weather permits and we are able to jump some.

That thing i'm carrying is called a "t-perch." Everyone I know that has one has built their own. Some people make theirs with just PVC pipe; most people though, including myself, use a paint roller extender, and then make just the perch part with PVC that screws onto the end, and cover the PVC with pipe insulation, and then daisy mat or astroturf. If gives the bird a much better vantage point in a field over being on the glove. It's like a mobile tree. That being said, if there are trees available, she will occasionally perch in one of those if it offers a better field of view and I will work the field towards her hoping to flush game in her direction.

She will usually only connect once out of every 15-20 attempts. Bunnies are VERY smart and agile and know how to evade. I have seen some very impressive jukes. In those cases I am happy for the bunny. I will agree though, she is probably a little more efficient at catching them than a dog. She is up to #24 as of this past Saturday. But man, we worked half a day to make that finally happen.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd like to know who he got a falcon from for $480. For some Jim Bob with no federal falconry permit, he'd have to buy a falcon species not protected under the MBTA which would be something like a Lanner, Saker, etc, and would cost him a cool $1500-$2000.

Also, that "hawk" sound they played at the end of the commercial was a red-tailed hawk...not a falcon. Production companies like to use RT warning screams for pretty much any raptor.

OK, purist rant over.

• 3 weeks later...

Went to the panhandle this weekend to do some hunting. Saw a plethora of game. Quail, pheasant, jackrabbits, prairie dogs, pronghorn, and of course, a ton of cottontails. Here is a vid of V getting her 31st cottontail. My buddy John who was with me was a little animated. She got #32 and #33 the next day but I didn't get those on video.

She's getting faster! Good vid sir.

She bound to a jackrabbit a few times over the weekend but got fought off. Now that was NUTS. Those things are HUGE. She isn't exposed to them enough so she hasn't learned yet that with those, you HAVE to grab the head first. You can't grab the butt then try to work your way up to the head with them.

Freezer. Some I save for her as food for later. Some I eat myself. I found a pretty amazing recipe where the meat is not gamey or tough at all. Browned then braised. Meat falls off the bone and there is NO gamey taste whatsoever. My kids are picky about food and even they eat it. They know it's bunny too, and they ask for it.

I grew up eating rabbit, squirrel, deer. It was all tasty lol. I'll tell ya, one of the best ways to do rabbit is stew. Grandpa use to make the best rabbit stew. Even made from scratch biscuits in the cast iron skillet. Last time I had it was 20+ years ago, but I can still remember it like it was yesterday lol.

I grew up eating rabbit, squirrel, deer. It was all tasty lol. I'll tell ya, one of the best ways to do rabbit is stew. Grandpa use to make the best rabbit stew. Even made from scratch biscuits in the cast iron skillet. Last time I had it was 20+ years ago, but I can still remember it like it was yesterday lol.

Wild game is actually really good if you prepare it properly. I think the reason a lot of people don't like it is due to poor preparation. I've eaten quite a bit of cottontail this year, ha ha. I like venison a lot as well.

Wild game is actually really good if you prepare it properly. I think the reason a lot of people don't like it is due to poor preparation. I've eaten quite a bit of cottontail this year, ha ha. I like venison a lot as well.

Couldn't agree more. I can make a chili/stew that you couldn't tell the difference if it were venison or beef. I love making a big pot of it and letting people who claim they hate venison try it then they rave about how tasty it was. Nothing better than breaking the news to them after the fact and seeing them back pedal :gabe:

• 2 months later...
I did a little presentation to a bunch of 5th graders yesterday. It was supposed to be 2 classes worth of kids, and it wound up being 4 classes worth at one time all packed into this classroom, and some staff. Apparently 2 other teachers kind of bailed on the speakers for their classes to come to see this. It was an awesome experience.