Ventress getting a cottontail

RC K9

I did a little presentation to a bunch of 5th graders yesterday. It was supposed to be 2 classes worth of kids, and it wound up being 4 classes worth at one time all packed into this classroom, and some staff. Apparently 2 other teachers kind of bailed on the speakers for their classes to come to see this. It was an awesome experience.

You are now that cool dude with the bad ass bird. Haha. Very cool to be able to educate kids on this. Hell, if you were in Columbus I'm sure those of us on here would be down for a similar presentation.

Nice! how did V do with all those ppl around?

She aced it. I wasn't sure how'd she behave being around all those strange people and being 300g+ heavier than what I was hunting her at; (her weight has been increased for the molt over the summer, when when you increase their weight, they generally develop less tolerance for people), but she just stood on the glove the whole time, watching the kids, and didn't bate (try to fly off) once. Couldn't have gone any better.

Very cool to see the inner workings of being a falconer, Ryan!

I had a blast. I love doing things like this because I know I would have loved it when I was a kid.

That's awesome man, glad to hear she didn't have/give any issues. Who knows, you may have influenced one of those kids to get into it too!

The teacher that invited me, (a former employee of mine) said that her students wouldn't stop talking about it the following day. I was happy to hear that :)

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
You need to bring Ventress up to Upper Arlington for a weekend and she'd be too fat off of bunnies to fly anywhere. :lol:

If it's not squirrels I'm almost hitting everyday driving around, it's rabbits that like to play "chicken" with me in an oncoming car.

I'll be bringing her up in December sometime around Christmas...

She's getting a lot faster! seems to be doing better with you handling the catch too.

Yeah...other falconers told me she'd be a better hunter this year, and that's absolutely true. She has 8 bunnies so far and we just started hunting like 3wks ago. She only had 6 bunnies by early November last year. She also has caught 3 birds in the last week, and she only caught 4 all of last season. She was great last year, but she is well on her way to being even better this year.