Playing in the Streets, what's it take these days?

99StockGT

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suspension is being handled right now, rear end is on order and will be ready to go by months end. Transmission is already here and ready to go.

"Spinnin ain't winnin" is something I'm very well aware of. Now I like making V8 noises and clouds of smoke as much as the next guy but that usually means I'm sitting still looking cool not screaming down the track.

With Street Car Takeover coming to Columbus in June, looks like we need to get hustling to get her built broken in and shake downs complete! Although she certainly won't be roll racing these crazy 1200hp twin turbo CTS-V and Vettes that seem to frequent 1320 videos these days

Eyeballing the Street Outlaw rides over the weekend...sweet jesus I can't imagine piloting something like that down a "road". Looks like we are certainly in the era where those guys are just pouring money/sponsors at bigger/badder/faster/lighter and making most of their cars as little "street" as possible.

With that said, enjoyed speaking with essentially the entire cast from OKC and most of the heavy hitters from New Orleans, really interesting to see what the next phase of development for this show series is. I wonder... aside from Memphis who are in the pipeline... who else is in consideration...

Eyeballing the Street Outlaw rides over the weekend...sweet jesus I can't imagine piloting something like that down a "road"....

Which is funny, because during drag week most of those guys have no problem pulling trailers with their support gear over hundreds of miles.

http://st.motortrend.com/uploads/sites/5/2013/09/1957-chevrolet-drag-week-towing.jpg

Actually, now that I think about it, reading up on drag week coverage, esp classes and results, from the past few years would probably be the best answer as to what it takes to "play in the streets". You should probably attend the next Drag week, even as just a spectator although it is September 18 so maybe you can get the car running by then.

There are always going to be the Jeff Lutz's of the world pouring cubic dollars into a tube chassis doorslammer, and thankfully the money needed for that keeps that pool small. Most of the rest of the field is going to be what you see in something like NHRA superstock classes.

I actually got to meet Mr Lutz this past weekend *racer hardon* pretty cool dude but I'm certainly not shoveling my money into project cars like he can. Their new Civic looks amazing and terrifying, can't WAIT to see it out running around.

The guys of the Power Tour are kind of straddling the line between street/strip while they do need to be able to get down public roads to make the journey the higher end folks are essentially tube chassis dragsters with carbon fiber panels and VIN plates. Highly intend to have this car up and running and broken in by Summer although that's a TON of work but can be done. PRI this past weekend really helped to galvanize my thinking on a lot of this stuff, in a few months we'll see how it turns out!

Completely agree with you Darren some of those guys build some absolutely streetable race cars and more power to them for putting them out there and running some mileage on them! Not sure how fun or comfortable that is to drive 400+ miles a day but big props for doing it.

The ones I'm referring to that have VIN plates screwed on are the guys running the stick on front ends that "look like" a production car, wrapped around an aftermarket chassis. Many of those guys run no cooling system OR charging system but they have a license plate and race on the streets so consider themselves "Street Cars"

To Quote the legendary Wagner having seen this unveiling myself at PRI..

http://www.dragzine.com/news/street-outlaws-star-james-goad-finishes-new-camaro-for-racing-action/

Completely agree with you Darren some of those guys build some absolutely streetable race cars and more power to them for putting them out there and running some mileage on them! Not sure how fun or comfortable that is to drive 400+ miles a day but big props for doing it.

The ones I'm referring to that have VIN plates screwed on are the guys running the stick on front ends that "look like" a production car, wrapped around an aftermarket chassis. Many of those guys run no cooling system OR charging system but they have a license plate and race on the streets so consider themselves "Street Cars"

To Quote the legendary Wagner having seen this unveiling myself at PRI..

http://www.dragzine.com/news/street-outlaws-star-james-goad-finishes-new-camaro-for-racing-action/

We are 100% on the same page, just because you put a license plate on it and raced it on a street, that doesn’t make it a street car, but it does make it a nice and fast race car.

Someone needs to disagree here.

If you want a fast street car just buy a Tesla...

I'm sure the days will come that this is actually a statement that will hold water, unfortunately upgrading the output of a Tesla requires more of an electrical engineer than a gearhead. One of the major sticking points I think for a lot of us "Old School" people if we are honest with ourselves. However, that instant never ending torque is something incredible as long as the tire industry can keep up!