12/21 - Shortest Day O' The Year

zeitgeist57

Gentlemen, as someone who HATES winter, I want to remind you of the day I look forward to every winter season: the Winter Solstice.

After today, we'll gain 2-3 minutes of sunlight back until the wonderful summertime is back upon us.

If the season gets you down, try to remember as I do that it's at least going to get a little brighter every day as the northern hemisphere warms up. You're welcome! :)

It's awesome when you go to work and it's dark and cold outside and when you leave work it's dark out and cold outside

This and the near constant grey weather is what depresses the shit out of me in winter here. However, it could be worse. We could have to deal with a lot of snow as well. I grew up in upstate New York and don't miss that at all. People can't drive here and it just fucks up my commute and day when we get any decent amount of snow. :(

And yes, I hate winter too and look forward to this day. Actually right after Xmas I just really start thinking about Spring. I also get colder faster due to far less body fat than I used to have... :lol:

This and the near constant grey weather is what depresses the shit out of me in winter here. However, it could be worse. We could have to deal with a lot of snow as well. I grew up in upstate New York and don't miss that at all. People can't drive here and it just fucks up my commute and day when we get any decent amount of snow. :(

I grew up Cleveland and went to high school in Niskayuna, NY...right outside of Albany. I never realized as a kid how much Cleveland was gray all winter until I moved to Albany - cold cold cold as f**k but if it wasn't snowing, it was a pretty winter scene.

I've been saying for years that - if you have to live up north as we choose to in being closer to family - I'd rather it be sunny and milder in Columbus rather than gray and crappy like it is for Chicago, MI, Cleveland, Buffalo, etc...around the Great Lakes.

I hate the winter. Every year I question why I live in this fucking wasteland of a state. 47th worst state for sun...

Again, in all fairness Columbus (and pretty much everything south of Wooster/Rt.30) is MUCH BETTER from a sun standpoint...NE Ohio throws off the average significantly.

Link? Kind of curious so I can pick which state I want to live in out of the top 5 lol

I looked this up last year, so it appears to have changed a bit. We are in the bottom 10...50% of the days have sun, and 78 clear days.

https://www.currentresults.com/Weather/US/average-annual-state-sunshine.php

Arizona is #1

I grew up Cleveland and went to high school in Niskayuna, NY...right outside of Albany. I never realized as a kid how much Cleveland was gray all winter until I moved to Albany - cold cold cold as f**k but if it wasn't snowing, it was a pretty winter scene.

I've been saying for years that - if you have to live up north as we choose to in being closer to family - I'd rather it be sunny and milder in Columbus rather than gray and crappy like it is for Chicago, MI, Cleveland, Buffalo, etc...around the Great Lakes.

Yeah, because I spent 22 years in Rochester, I just didn't get how bad the snow and cold was. I never knew any difference. Columbus is so much better. However I'd love an even better climate of say a Nashville or Charlotte. But I love our city for a lot of other things. It's got a great mix of things that makes me just deal with it in the Winter. :)

I looked this up last year, so it appears to have changed a bit. We are in the bottom 10...50% of the days have sun, and 78 clear days.

Arizona is #1

Yeah, I think the northern part of the state fucks this up. Not that Columbus is the shit for sunshine... :lol:

Best news I've heard all day!

...unless you're into astrology I guess

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/nation-now/2017/12/20/winter-solstice-worst-day-2017-astrologers/970249001/

Apparently, the sun will appear to pass in front of the constellation Capricorn hours after Saturn does likewise. This will cause both of these orbs to line up for the first time time since 1664, according to London astrologer Neil Spencer, who writes for The (London) Observer but first wrote about the alignment on his blog.

He insists that starting something new on this day is “ill advised” and will have long-term consequences.

Gentlemen, as someone who HATES winter, I want to remind you of the day I look forward to every winter season: the Winter Solstice.

After today, we'll gain 2-3 minutes of sunlight back until the wonderful summertime is back upon us.

If the season gets you down, try to remember as I do that it's at least going to get a little brighter every day as the northern hemisphere warms up. You're welcome! :)

Each year, starting in around October, I look forward to this day for the same reason.

Arizona is #1

I always knew I was destined for Arizona :cool:

I will live in Arizona or South Carolina in the next 5 years...I started looking at houses in Arizona last year after seeing this list, ha!

It's just hard to leave Columbus right now with the insane growth and how well the economy is doing. I think eventually I'll end up out west when the time is right, but I wanna see how things shake out here first.

Go check living costs in places with year-round nice weather and get back to me.

I'm back to you...the place I want to move to in Arizona is 5% higher than Columbus. Fountain Hills, AZ.

Yeah I think Phoenix is actually cheaper than Columbus. Plus, most places that have higher living costs also have higher wages.