Mid muffler vs rear muffler

coltboostin

Current situation-

The Galant had a full 3.5 in SS exhaust- no muff. Its a but raspy for me in the mid range. Idle and off throttle its the best sounding exhaust I have heard. I'd like to keep the best of both worlds if possible. Sounds is 10/10 at idle. 2/10 at 3k with 20% throttle. 8/10 at WOT over 6k. I also prefer the look w/o the muff in the back on this car.

So, I have a 3.5 inch dynomax bullet i can fit in the back-or have room to sneak in in the area where the cat would be. Anyone running JUST a mid muffler and had success eliminating rasp?

If the current volume is to your liking, look into a Helmholtz resonator. It can easily be tuned to the RPM range that needs attention.
This, should be able to remove some rasp and drone at the same time.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I say try it, I but it's at least much closer to what you're looking for. Worst case you just weld it back together.

My only fear is that the current set up is very nice so whatever I do I'd like to do it once if that makes sense

If the current volume is to your liking, look into a Helmholtz resonator. It can easily be tuned to the RPM range that needs attention.

You talking about something like this? http://photobucket.com/gallery/http://s1338.photobucket.com/user/Jovanybg/media/IMAG0328.jpg.html

I have always found that mounting the muffler farther downstream makes the exhaust louder. Closer to the engine seems to increase the sound deadening ability

Thanks for this! I have little experience in this area (making shit quiet) so this is all helpful.

Perfect! And Tom is a great guy- real DSM OG. He was a youtuber before a youtuber was a thing. With 135k subscribers he is probably seeing some coin from it too. good for him!