Garage heaters

Lauren

Im using a patio canopy propane heater currently. It works great but Ive used $80-100 worth of propane this month working on my C10. A lot happier with it than a stupid kerosene torpedo heater.

But, I either need to invest in a larger tank or get someone to run some gas pipe to the garage and buy a heater. Ugh.

Im curious if an electric heater would be more expensive to run than this propane setup for a std 2 car garage?

My father is selling his lightly used 600k btu multi-fuel torpedo heaters that RCA used to rent from him to heat their factory. It'll heat your garage in about 15 seconds.

:eek:

This versatile, multi-fuel heater will warm up to 15,000 square feet of your shop, barn, construction site, or wherever you need powerful, dependable heat.

I have 3 insulated walls and no insulation in the roof. It’s kept the garage right at or slightly above freezing this week. I use a tank top dual burner which helps but isn’t going to make it cozy when it’s this cold I still bundle up to do work. Nothing is going to warm the concrete though.

we may have to buy one or two of these

industrial_steel_electric_5000_watt_ceiling_mount_heater_-_white_cz220_heater.jpg?yocs=l_&yoloc=us

That one will work great Trish. You're welcome to come see mine. It Heats my 24 by 24 garage with ease. Cost about $15 a month if I keep it at 70 degrees. My garage is fully insulated.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

15/month? how many days/hours you running it. I have a similar unit its a 5,000 watt unit... works great but you will be better off starting with a natural gas unit.

Look at your power bill and see what you are paying per KWH and then use a calculator to see what your usage will be per hour based on the watts of an electric heater. I pay about .06 per kwh. If I ran mine 8 hours a day it would cost around 72/month.

i guess if you ran it for 50 hours or less per month you could do it for 15/month. Keep in mind it takes an hour or two to get the chill out depending on your garage size.

15/month? how many days/hours you running it. I have a similar unit its a 5,000 watt unit... works great but you will be better off starting with a natural gas unit.

Look at your power bill and see what you are paying per KWH and then use a calculator to see what your usage will be per hour based on the watts of an electric heater. I pay about .06 per kwh. If I ran mine 8 hours a day it would cost around 72/month.

Mine runs maybe 6hrs per day max. and I keep my garage pretty warm overall is why. Once up to Temp. it will run maybe 15 mins. per hour if that. Again, my garage is insulated and the main time it will kick on is if someone opens the door and pulls out/in. I typically keep the garage at 60-65*.

I generalized my answer but still even if it was 50mo. it's worth it IMO. It really only runs 3-4 months per year thus the cost averages out to maybe $12-15 mo. over the year. We do a budget plan to to keep our auto-payments the same. The unit is inexpensive and my last one lasted nearly 25 years. I only replaced it because it was old and likely not efficient. To run 220v if you don't have it won't cost much either.

I washed both cars in the garage yesterday in shorts and a t-shirt. Priceless to me :)

I have a 3 car garage/shop, 3 walls and ceiling are insulated. I use a natural gas heater hung from the ceiling. What made a huge difference was hanging a ceiling fan to circulate the air from the ceiling down . My shop now heats up twice as fast as it used to.

Mine runs maybe 6hrs per day max. and I keep my garage pretty warm overall is why. Once up to Temp. it will run maybe 15 mins. per hour if that. Again, my garage is insulated and the main time it will kick on is if someone opens the door and pulls out/in. I typically keep the garage at 60-65*.

I generalized my answer but still even if it was 50mo. it's worth it IMO. It really only runs 3-4 months per year thus the cost averages out to maybe $12-15 mo. over the year. We do a budget plan to to keep our auto-payments the same. The unit is inexpensive and my last one lasted nearly 25 years. I only replaced it because it was old and likely not efficient. To run 220v if you don't have it won't cost much either.

I washed both cars in the garage yesterday in shorts and a t-shirt. Priceless to me :)

my 24x30 runs a bit more but i also have near 12 foot ceilings so that makes a big difference ... thats beyond impressive if you can get it to 70 in these near 0 temps outside. I have same heater its a beast and garage is insulated well just have to know the limits of electric and realize when gas is the better investment. Sounds like yours works for your needs.