New gun

Richard Cranium

Well, I sold my AK (I still kinda regret that). The new gun in the house is a Ruger Precision Rifle. It's a version 2 in 6.5mm Creedmoor. I've added an Atlas Bipod and an Accu-shot monopod. I'll be picking up optics next month. I'm planning the Vortex Viper PST Gen II in 5-25x50. Other than the bipod and monopod my only modification so far is I 3D printed a single shot adapter to insert into the PMAG.

I'm planning on starting to reload ammo. That will be something new to me as well.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1011&pictureid=8959

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1011&pictureid=8960

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1011&pictureid=8961

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1011&pictureid=8962

This is my next gun buy! Do you like the stock? I have heard mixed reviews on it

I've played around with it a little. It's not easy to adjust, but I guess that means once you've got it where you want it it'll stay there. I definitely like the way it looks and feels, but adjusting it sucks. I can see why people take it off and go with the PRS. The thumb wheels for adjustment look MUCH simpler to use. I am considering getting one of these.

http://www.anarchyoutdoors.com/v-tab-u-verticle-tactical-adjustable-stock-pad-fits-magpul-prs2-rpr-luth-ar1-3/

I've been doing some playing around with the rifle. Learning to strip it down. I have found the stock to be fairly easy to adjust. Not as simple as the thumb wheels on the PRS, but to me it doesn't seem worth it to drop a couple hundred on the PRS when I already have this one. I think I'll stick with it.

Does anyone have the tools to mount a precision scope? 30mm body. I looked into buying the tools, but by the time I buy a gun vice, the tools to lap in the rings, the levels, bore sight, etc... It's just not worth it. I would love to do it myself instead of taking it to a gunsmith.

I looked into buying the tools, but by the time I buy a gun vice, the tools to lap in the rings, the levels, bore sight, etc... It's just not worth it. I would love to do it myself instead of taking it to a gunsmith.

"It's just not worth it to do myself, but I would love to do it myself rather than taking it to a gunsmith."

Hopefully someone on here can offer assistance and has what you need, but if you're really wanting to do the smithing yourself why not purchase the tools?

"It's just not worth it to do myself, but I would love to do it myself rather than taking it to a gunsmith."

Hopefully someone on here can offer assistance and has what you need, but if you're really wanting to do the smithing yourself why not purchase the tools?

It's the cost of the tools, and the fact that I may use them once and never use them again.

Scope mounting kit Combo - $99

Reticle leveling kit - 48$

Gun Vice - $94

Bore Sight kit - $50

So, I'm looking at around $300 at least in tools to do the job correctly. It does include the cost of the Torque wrench driver I am already going to buy. So, call it $250 in cost. Assume a professional gun smith would charge considerably less. None of this includes the cost of the parts. I'm a tool whore, so I really don't shy away from buying tools. But $250 in tools that I might never use again ...

Maybe I will buy them, but if someone has them in a basement shop and will let me borrow the tools, or bring my stuff over and borrow the space that saves me the trouble of figuring out what to do with the stuff when I'm not using it.

Edited by Richard Cranium

It's the cost of the tools, and the fact that I may use them once and never use them again.

Scope mounting kit Combo - $99

Reticle leveling kit - 48$

Gun Vice - $94

Bore Sight kit - $50

So, I'm looking at around $300 at least in tools to do the job correctly. It does include the cost of the Torque wrench driver I am already going to buy. So, call it $250 in cost. Assume a gun professional gun smith would charge considerably less. None of this includes the cost of the parts. I'm a tool whore, so I really don't shy away from buying tools. But $250 in tools that I might never use again ...

Maybe I will buy them, but if someone has them in a basement shop and will let me borrow the tools, or bring my stuff over and borrow the space that saves me the trouble of figuring out what to do with the stuff when I'm not using it.

That's fair. I guess my question was more along the lines of you preferring to do work yourself over an unknown smith. Obv this won't be the last firearm purchase you make. Over time, I was saying, it's behoove you to just buy the tools...if you plane on future firearm purchases that is.

Best of luck.

I've been doing some playing around with the rifle. Learning to strip it down. I have found the stock to be fairly easy to adjust. Not as simple as the thumb wheels on the PRS, but to me it doesn't seem worth it to drop a couple hundred on the PRS when I already have this one. I think I'll stick with it.

Does anyone have the tools to mount a precision scope? 30mm body. I looked into buying the tools, but by the time I buy a gun vice, the tools to lap in the rings, the levels, bore sight, etc... It's just not worth it. I would love to do it myself instead of taking it to a gunsmith.

I mount all my scopes (Nightforce and Razor Gen IIs) without all the tools you mention. I do spend a lot on mounts. I have many guns that i go out to 1000+ yards with. A small level and lots of patience is all you need. It might not be 100% as everyone has a opinion but the guns and ammo shoots better than I do.

Good choice on the gun! I have looked at them a few times.

I mount all my scopes (Nightforce and Razor Gen IIs) without all the tools you mention. I do spend a lot on mounts. I have many guns that i go out to 1000+ yards with. A small level and lots of patience is all you need. It might not be 100% as everyone has a opinion but the guns and ammo shoots better than I do.

Good choice on the gun! I have looked at them a few times.

Yeah, I will be spending a chunk on rings. I get that lapping them in is probably a little over kill. My goal is to push this rifle past it's practical range. At some point I will try and hit a target at a mile with this rifle. I realize this is the wrong tool for that job, but right now it's the tool I can afford. Any little thing I can do that will make it even just a little more accurate past 1200 yards. Maybe it's only in my head. Since I don't have the optics yet, and I can't even order them until Feb 1, I'm trying to sort out a reloading setup. The sooner I get up and running loading my own the sooner it pays for itself, and the sooner I get some custom load data for this rifle worked out.

I should probably just bite the bullet and get the tools. If I ever change the rail, or get another rifle I'll want to do this all over again.

I can help you mount your stuff but it won’t be overkill (which may be the route you are heading.

Do I lap my rings? No. Should I? Maybe...? I’ve read a bunch of articles... still haven’t.

I still manage to outshout people that lap their rings (in competitions).

If you need any help at all with setup, reloading, or just some good old habits and fundamentals for LR shooting I’d be glad to help.

If I were going to recommend tools for mounting optics I’d say to get a torque wrench (inch pounds) and a range of hex bits. I use the Wheeler FAT wrench and I’m happy with it. Others slam it... but I have no issues. Again, I can outshoot most of them too. They are usually that paradoxical elitist-hillbilly that gets lost in the minutiae...

• 3 weeks later...
Optics are ordered. Spent more time than anything lately getting set up to reload. I'm fully stocked up on supplies. Debating on whether or not to grab an auto feed/weigh digital system. I can't imagine it will be long till I get tired of manually weighing each charge. I also picked up a Viper 5 drawer toolbox that I plan to mount a hutch on top as my reloading bench. It's not big, but it is heavier than most of the competition. Biggest problem other than being banged up a bit was the dude was a smoker and used it as an ashtray apparently. I threw away the drawer liners and washed the box. It smelled absolutely disgusting. Once I have the hutch in place I'll post up some pics.

Hutch is built and the press is mounted to it.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1011&pictureid=8977

I took all the 9mm brass that came with the gear and started playing. 300+ shells deprimed, cleaned, and now sized. The depriming went okay, but the sizing was a little more force. I though I was going to get away with not having to bolt the hutch to the toolbox. I thought wrong. It wasn't terrible, but I found myself having to push down on the base of the hutch while I pulled up on the arm of the press more than a few times. It's been interesting, I'm looking forward to learning more about the process and the results.