2018 F-150 Diesel

zeitgeist57

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/2018-ford-f-150-diesel-full-details-news

10 years ago, we'd be ga-ga about a half-ton pickup truck with a diesel. My my, how times have changed.

Thanks to N/A V8's become serious thumpers (6.xL GM, Ram) and especially with the gas EcoBoost engines, it's funny to me how part of the steam is taken out of this news about a 3.0L diesel for the F-150. Still, makes perfect sense as Ram has one, and Ford already developed the mill for Land Rover globally.

Another differentiator I can think of which made diesels so much different than half-ton trucks was the need to have some super-beefy transmissions behind them. If you had a gas 6- or 8-cyl, you could put a solid automatic or stick behind it and be done. Once the HD game started taking off, you had to have Allison make you some 900lb 6-speed auto to back it. Now, you've got 8- to 10-speed transmissions that put stick-shifts to shame. Again...it's amazing how the automotive world has changed.

Pretty cool to see. I'd still get a 2.7L or 3.5L EcoBoost.

Why would you get the ecoboost over this? Cost?

It'll get significantly better MPG, which would make me get the diesel.

First is cost. It's $2500-$4000 more for the diesel.

Secondly, the EcoBoost engines are giving up 5-8 MPG to the diesel, but in the USA diesel is now much more expensive than regular, let alone premium or super. Again...if economics are of a concern, then the EcoBoost's running on regular will save $$$ over the life of the truck. If diesel was cheaper than gas - which it used to be years ago - I'd give more credit to the PowerStroke.

Outside of that, I'll give the diesel credit for likely not needing different/more expensive maintenance (DEF, special servicing, etc) but that could be a factor. The EcoBoost's are proven to be a very reliable mill, as opposed to gas engines of the past where they may have gotten tired after 100k miles. Plus, as I mentioned, the transmissions used to be beefier behind diesels but in 2018 that's not the case...it's relatively the same as the gas powertrains (brakes, rearends, suspension as well).

Secondly, the EcoBoost engines are giving up 5-8 MPG to the diesel, but in the USA diesel is now much more expensive than regular, let alone premium or super. Again...if economics are of a concern, then the EcoBoost's running on regular will save $$$ over the life of the truck. If diesel was cheaper than gas - which it used to be years ago - I'd give more credit to the PowerStroke.

Outside of that, I'll give the diesel credit for likely not needing different/more expensive maintenance (DEF, special servicing, etc) but that could be a factor. The EcoBoost's are proven to be a very reliable mill, as opposed to gas engines of the past where they may have gotten tired after 100k miles. Plus, as I mentioned, the transmissions used to be beefier behind diesels but in 2018 that's not the case...it's relatively the same as the gas powertrains (brakes, rearends, suspension as well).

The diesel sounds nice, but I can't say i'd be sold over the 3.5 eco. I believe the eco sees full boost at 1750rpm the same as the diesel, and I use 87oct in the cooler months and when i'm not towing. I only use 93 when it's hot or I am towing something. So like stated above, I don't know the the slight mpg advantage of the diesel would offset the higher price of diesel enough.

Ultimately, the deciding factor for me would probably be longevity. Am I going to have fewer problems to worry about with the Diesel over the Eco. Not sure if it is still a problem, but previously the Eco was plagued with timing chain issues and condensation buildup issues after driving in the rain causing violent misfires. (I experienced that several times and eventually had to replace a catalytic converter because of it).

If I knew I was going to have fewer to no issues with the diesel, i'd probably go that route, but outside of that, i'd probably stick with a 3.5L Eco.

Can someone explain to me the appeal of a 1/2 ton diesel at all? At this point pickup trucks are stupid expensive no matter how you slice it and the approx $9K difference between a Diesel F150 and a Diesel F250 Super Duty is kinda worth the extra half ton bed/cab capacity you get and the 15,000 lb towing capacity.

Unless you own a cheating VW diesel, I really don't see the appeal of smaller diesel anything because the cost savings isn't really there.

A 2500 series rides completely different than a 1500 does. If you aren't towing or hauling regularly, the ride in a 2500 can be quite unpleasant. Cost difference also. Ride height is much higher making it more difficult for people to get in and out of, larger wheels/tires, etc.

A 1500 is more than most need, and if you can get 30 mpgs on the highway for a small premium (let's face it 2.4k over a 3.5 ecoboost is almost not noticeable considering the MSRPs of modern pickups) I fail to see the downside. It'll be slower, but tow about the same, ride about the same, cost about the same, but you get a significant MPG increase. Oh and the resale is going to be better. Go price out diesel vehicles vs their gas counterparts. This is a pro for buying them new, and a con when buying used.

This is honestly the only downside I see: the 3.0-liter Power Stroke diesel will be offered in the 2018 Lariat, King Ranch, and Platinum trims. They leave out the XL and XLT trims amazingly...

Edited by Aaron

Diesel is cheaper than 93. Rather large mpg spread. Resale on diesel is always stronger.

Diesel is cheaper than 93. Rather large mpg spread. Resale on diesel is always stronger.

Who uses 93? I use 87. Diesel is like $.50-$.60/gal more expensive. So about 25% more per gallon than 87 here. MPG estimate on the diesel shows 18/24. TT V6 shows 16/23. That's nowhere near a 25% increase in mpg.

Can get a Volvo VNL 780 or an international prostar+ cheaper than a F150. Tows more, more room, better turning radius, almost no depreciation. Small diesel lol

sweet jesus you're right

http://www.commercialtrucktrader.com/listing/2013-Volvo-Vnl780--5000204667

why would anyone buy a regular sized truck when you could have this!!

The only reason I dont own a volvo 780 with a cummins right now is storage space. I can get a 43' goose neck for under 10k. Could probably single axle and put 2.73 gears in the rear get 12mpg pulling 20k # and all for less than my F150 is worth. Anyone want to go halfsies?

Tires last 100k+. Register as a toter RV for no CDL or DOT mess. Engines last 750k to 1m miles.

Diesel engines cost an assload to maintain, that's why id go gas.

Not to mention you could get a used 6spd 6.7 cummins for less

Commercial diesels are pricey to maintain, but 3/4 and 1 ton diesel pickups aren't too bad at all (at least the ones you can maintain without removing the cab) - that's a powerstroke joke kids.