Geeto67's Political Playground

zeitgeist57

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it really voluntary? What were the options given to the students? A) Come outside and participate or B) Sit in this room and keep yourself busy/do homework/whatever. If you are given 2 options, and 1 is significantly better than the other, do you really have a choice? Reminds me of Eddie Izzard's bit on Cake or Death - "I'll have cake please".

Sounds similar to these women that are accusing Louie C.K., Kevin Spacey, etc. of sexual misconduct. They had a "choice" to not be sexual with them, but at what cost?

From what I remember about being in High School, my peers has way more influence than any teacher would. Still, I am probably a bad example because I was always looking for a place to be able to do homework so I wouldn't have to do it at home. There were plenty of instances where I sat out of activities and had no problem doing so. There were very few teachers that I would compromise my ideals for, and the ones that I would I often found to be aligned with on most things anyway.

Is there a power differential? sure, but unlike the sexual assault example you pose above, those with the power in schools have a pretty ironclad duty to protect the interests of the students - something Keven Spacey didn't have when he pressured young men for sex.

Eddie Izzard's Cake or Death skit is one of my favorites and hilarious, but I feel like in this situation its more like Cake or rice cake, and you know some people actually like rice cakes - Spread a little peanut butter, some jam on there and it's not eating Styrofoam at all.

It's not like the protests were the school's idea

Correct. It is however, the school's responsibility to educate, and provide a safe and equal learning environment for each and every student. 17 minutes of fucking off outside automatically rules out education. You can argue "yeah but they learned a life lesson that you can change the way...bla bla bla" but that's a load of fairy shit.

Was it fair and equal? That's where I'm not sure about it, as I stated in my previous post.

And remember that's the issue here, Tim has accused the school administrators of wrongdoing, "pushing a political agenda on school time involving students as pawns." It's an absurd accusation.

I don't think the school pushed a political agenda on students, at least not voluntarily. As far as I know, kids are required to go to school either by law, or to want a good job, or not...cake or death.

I'm kind of getting tired of this argument, but the only schools I think did the right thing were the ones who said "if you're not in class, you'll get marked as absent and any worked not complete will be marked as such, just like any regular day'. That is a real life lesson, because that's how the real world works.

17 minutes of fucking off outside automatically rules out education. You can argue "yeah but they learned a life lesson that you can change the way...bla bla bla" but that's a load of fairy shit.

I'm not going to argue that, I'm going to argue that the kids were going to walk out regardless of what the school did.

I'm kind of getting tired of this argument, but the only schools I think did the right thing were the ones who said "if you're not in class, you'll get marked as absent and any worked not complete will be marked as such, just like any regular day'. That is a real life lesson, because that's how the real world works.

Ooh, not a tardy slip. That would surely have prevented the walkout.

Ooh, not a tardy slip. That would surely have prevented the walkout.

Death penalty/life in prison isn't enough to prevent everyone from not committing murder either.

I got a couple Saturday schools because I was tardy 1 too many times.

I'm sure it was from a mix of teachers and students.

Actually, you should know this - because it was a "national" walk out. The students and faculty of Stoneman Douglas partnered with the Not for Profit group Women's March Youth through their "Empower" program. They put the word out through social media and the individual schools had the opportunity to participate or not. In most school districts, kids were going to walk out regardless as to whether the faculty approved it or not - some took the imitative and organized a safe environment, others handed out punishment for skipping school, but honestly no school so far had forced their students to participate full stop.

Remember the Women's march? well out of that several smaller groups came together to form a larger nfp organization, and that organization now has a youth program to help those who want to protest for social change in high school. Remember when we were having the conversation about the womens march and all these CR commenters were complaining that it wouldn't do anything and I pointed out that sometimes protests like that are recruitment, fund raising, and organization tools as well as a pep rally? well you are seeing the actual result of that - this is one of the ways protest is effective: It gets people active on certain issues and allows groups to grow and increase political influence. Protest is not usually one event and the world changes - it is one tool in a larger paramilitary campaign for social change. Gun violence was an issue at the women's march since the largest demographic of gun violence victims are women.

womens march and all these CR commenters were complaining

They should be thankful that it was a march and not a cruise.

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1614360.1392394353!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/article_750/aptopix-turnpike-crash.jpg

(too cliche?)

LO effing L

By the way, anybody want to talk about Donnie JR putting the balls to one of the members of Danity Kane? I read that US Weekly headline and now I can't get that image out of my head. I imagine it's like a slug mating with a piece of closed cell foam....<shiver>.....

LO effing L

By the way, anybody want to talk about Donnie JR putting the balls to one of the members of Danity Kane? I read that US Weekly headline and now I can't get that image out of my head. I imagine it's like a slug mating with a piece of closed cell foam....<shiver>.....

I saw the headline this morning. The picture they showed of "Danity Kane" made her look pretty hot. Then I googled Danity Kane and found out it's actually a girl group. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I saw the headline this morning. The picture they showed of "Danity Kane" made her look pretty hot. Then I googled Danity Kane and found out it's actually a girl group. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Apparently they were a band put together for an MTV reality show - making the band. The only thing I know about that show is Dave Chapelle did a skit about it where he "spit hot fire". The only thing I know about Danity Kane is that I found a CD of theirs once in a Chrysler Sebring Convertible I rented once. It was un-listen-able.

I guess the protest didn't work. (kidding)

Shooting At Maryland High School Injures 2 Students; Gunman Dead

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/03/20/595161163/shooting-reported-at-maryland-high-school

I wonder if this incident will get as much media attention as the last one because an AR15 wasn't used and that the little shit was taken out by an armed resource officer.

I guess the protest didn't work. (kidding)

Shooting At Maryland High School Injures 2 Students; Gunman Dead

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/03/20/595161163/shooting-reported-at-maryland-high-school

I wonder if this incident will get as much media attention as the last one because an AR15 wasn't used and that the little shit was taken out by an armed resource officer.

Does it fit the liberal agenda? If the answer is no, it won't get as much attention.

nope...just a 9mm Glock and the kid was whacked within a minute by a SWAT Team member working a shift as the school cop. Far far different than the response by the cops in Florida. Will be interesting to see where the kid got the gun.

You must be fun at parties.

Lots of great behaviors on Saturday in NYC. If you've never been to the parade or out in NYC on St. Patty's day then you're missing out on a lot of fun people watching.....and that wonderful smell of piss and puke. The decision some people make will blow your mind.