Favorite Type of Racing

Cordell

What type of racing do you prefer most?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. What type of racing do you prefer most?

• Drag racing
    • Road Racing/Autocross
    • Street Racing
    • Keyboard Racing

Like doing or enjoy overall?

Like I love Rally, grew up around it with Dad doing it and enjoy watching/following it now, but don't have the resources to do it myself yet.

Autocross is what I do mostly myself, but want to get in to HPDE's when the Porsche is done.

Like doing or enjoy overall?

Like I love Rally, grew up around it with Dad doing it and enjoy watching/following it now, but don't have the resources to do it myself yet.

Autocross is what I do mostly myself, but want to get in to HPDE's when the Porsche is done.

I was going for what you personally like to do. I've had a lot of fun doing all kinds of stuff, drag racing, street racing, and autocross, but I'd have to vote for road racing edging out drag racing. Both are a blast, and both are legal, which is why if this was discussed 5-6 years ago all I cared about was street racing.

I like to drag race because I can afford it, but I'll go to any kind of racing to watch for sure.

You could afford autocrossing too, they are very realistic options for anyone.

The problem comes about when you're dumb enough to think you can do both, and you have to decide what to spend money on. Of course you could do both with the same stock vehicle, but what's the fun in that?

I dont do any racing these days minus the occasional light to light with a soccer mom in the mini van. Really need tp find some time to get out. Not motivated due to the barge i drive :lol:

So you race people who don't know you're racing? If that's not about the most ricer shit.

Tell your wife to loan you your balls and buy a cheap toy. :lolguy:

Have been through it all at one time or another. Road racing, endurance racing to be specific has always been the biggest draw for me.

Now that I have the time/funds to do it a little bit again, I find it the best bang for the buck for seat time. A little autocross is fun, but to me these days it's too much time/effort for too little actual driving time (though I still don't mind an event or two a year to keep up with friends).

Champcar, LeMons, AER, WRL, find a few like minded friends and get in a lot of driving for not too much $$$

Have been through it all at one time or another. Road racing, endurance racing to be specific has always been the biggest draw for me.

Every time I look at poverty endurance racing I get really excited, then realize that I'll be spending thousands to drive a slow shitbox slowly for a long time.

Then I go back to easy mode in my comfy much faster streetcars for a lil taste here and there.

Maybe someday

Every time I look at poverty endurance racing I get really excited, then realize that I'll be spending thousands to drive a slow shitbox slowly for a long time.

Then I go back to easy mode in my comfy much faster streetcars for a lil taste here and there.

Maybe someday

The whole "crapcan" racing concept has evolved greatly from when I when to my first LeMons race.

LeMons - slow shitboxes up to some real teams with reasonably fast cars, it can resemble your description.

Champcar (Chump) - many ugly, but mostly real race cars - and some really quick cars

AER - usually very high prep cars and a little more uppity atmosphere

WRL - similar to WRL

You can arrive and drive for under $1000 for a weekend (one two hour (+/-) stint per day). Car ownership can help offset your costs with some good partners. Yes, there is more cost to a weekend than a track day, but your "cost per minute" of track time is lower - and you're actually doing wheel to wheel racing and planning strategy. I have driven my truck, a couple of E36 BMW's and an RX-7. I can tell you the cars I have driven are prepped to equal or better than SCCA Improved Touring levels and the BMW's are not what you would call slow.

I've been trying to talk myself into converting an extra e36 into a chumpcar or etc for awhile, but I'd fall asleep at mid ohio in that thing... Probably make 100mph on the back straight LOL

I'd go halfsies with you if you ever want to do that.

I put Autocross because that's all I'm able to afford to do from a time/money standpoint: DD to the track, have fun...maybe benchmark my time with others, drive home. I still need to finish my pilot's license; if all I can do is 2-3 autoX events around Columbus this year between family/vacations/projects - especially if my son wants to come - then I'm happy for now.

I has a sad because Matt said it's not racing. :( But he's right...and if anything, AutoX keeps some element of skill and physical aptitude for racing at a future date.

At least I'm doing something.

I put Autocross because that's all I'm able to afford to do from a time/money standpoint: DD to the track, have fun...maybe benchmark my time with others, drive home. I still need to finish my pilot's license; if all I can do is 2-3 autoX events around Columbus this year between family/vacations/projects - especially if my son wants to come - then I'm happy for now.

I has a sad because Matt said it's not racing. :( But he's right...and if anything, AutoX keeps some element of skill and physical aptitude for racing at a future date.

At least I'm doing something.

Racing events need more people like you.

I've been trying to talk myself into converting an extra e36 into a chumpcar or etc for awhile, but I'd fall asleep at mid ohio in that thing... Probably make 100mph on the back straight LOL

I've got an E36 328 that we're building for Chumpcar since our Prelude blew up (5 years ago. As an aside, I've learned that getting a crapcan racecar put together and keeping it running is pretty damn tough for adults with kids and jobs and stuff). But we finally got this thing running well enough for me to take to Mid-Ohio, bone stock with 200TW tires on 18" BBS knock offs (style yo) I did about a 1:53 before I lost the brakes and had to park it. It did 115+ on the back straight, the big limfac is that BMWs handle like shit, especially with 20+ year old suspension components. Can't put the power down to save its life and turn-in blows. We've already got about 5 grand into it and it's still not caged and the brakes failed after a couple sessions and the suspension is crap. But 115 on the back straight is nothing to sneeze at, faster than a Miata :)

The whole "crapcan" racing concept has evolved greatly from when I when to my first LeMons race.

LeMons - slow shitboxes up to some real teams with reasonably fast cars, it can resemble your description.

Champcar (Chump) - many ugly, but mostly real race cars - and some really quick cars

AER - usually very high prep cars and a little more uppity atmosphere

WRL - similar to WRL

You can arrive and drive for under $1000 for a weekend (one two hour (+/-) stint per day). Car ownership can help offset your costs with some good partners. Yes, there is more cost to a weekend than a track day, but your "cost per minute" of track time is lower - and you're actually doing wheel to wheel racing and planning strategy. I have driven my truck, a couple of E36 BMW's and an RX-7. I can tell you the cars I have driven are prepped to equal or better than SCCA Improved Touring levels and the BMW's are not what you would call slow.

I really do love drag racing, but my cost per minute of race time has gone through the roof. While I wouldn't have it any other way, it's a little disheartening to think what I spend on a track day between gas in the truck and gas in the racecar, time, etc... I might get a full minute (if I include the shutdown) of racing. It's still the biggest rush I've ever had with my clothes on, but I can see the appeal of road racing and getting major seat time for your investment.