Another “help me pick a car” thread

caseyctsv

It’s winter and my wife is tired of talking about this so I throw this out to my CR friends...

Current situation:

2009 Volvo C70 - wife’s DD

2010 Suburban LTZ - my DD

2011 Camaro SS/RS Convertible - garage queen

I need a pickup now that we have some land to care for and, with the kids moved out, we don’t need the people hauling capabilities of the Suburban, as nice as it is to have.

What I know:

-Camaro will be sold once the weather clears as convertibles tend to fare better in the Spring. Besides I won’t let anyone drive it with salt on the roads anyways.

-Suburban will be sold and replaced with a smaller SUV (probably a 2018 Traverse once used ones start hitting lots) for my wife.

-Volvo will be sold to help fund whatever car I buy

Where I need your help:

Option 1 - fun DD (likely a sport sedan - SS, CTSV, or S4) and a beater pickup

Or

Option 2 - nice pickup to daily (Colorado ZR2, Sierra Denali, Silverado High Country, F150 of some sort)

Certainly some of you have had to make this call right? Any regrets? I am leaning towards option 1...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Miata is always the answer.

Option 1, beater truck because you're doing work with it. Not sure why the Camaro has to go with this option though.

Driving back and forth to work and taking coworkers to lunch in a Beater truck won’t work for me

Option 1 for sure.

Get a CTS-V, lightly mod, and enjoy. Plenty of nice 1500 trucks out there to get that will fit your needs as well.

I will not mod whatever I buy. I will not mod whatever I buy. I will not mod whatever I buy. (Working on getting this through my tiny brain)

I've made this call multiple times now. Get the smallest sportiest car that checks the most of your boxes to drive 98% of the time, and a beater truck for the couple of times you need to move a mower/parts/tow something/haul wood/etc.

Don't corner yourself into a full-time barge so you can brag about "yeah but I have a xxx at home and let me tell you!" those are the marks of a poser.

Bonus points if you get a fun car you can drive year around, since it IS shitty 6 months of the year here.

Enjoy your automatic wannabe rental car sedan and your new brodozer.

So you need the truck mostly for work around the house and what not?

I'd say option 1 because if you buy a nice truck for it's actual purpose it won't be a "nice" truck for long. Just buy a cool auto DD if you're worried about sitting in traffic. CTS-V would probably be first on my list. Add a catback and you're good to go. Sounds good, pretty fast, comfortable and easy to drive. Buy like a mid 2000s F-150 or Silverado.

So you need the truck mostly for work around the house and what not?

I'd say option 1 because if you buy a nice truck for it's actual purpose it won't be a "nice" truck for long. Just buy a cool auto DD if you're worried about sitting in traffic. CTS-V would probably be first on my list. Add a catback and you're good to go. Sounds good, pretty fast, comfortable and easy to drive. Buy like a mid 2000s F-150 or Silverado.

This was pretty much what I was going to suggest. What exactly are you using the truck for? Runs to Lowes or are you planning on towing something?

This was pretty much what I was going to suggest. What exactly are you using the truck for? Runs to Lowes or are you planning on towing something?

General runs to Lowe’s, hauling firewood, pulling a utility trailer with my quad or zero turn.

General runs to Lowe’s, hauling firewood, pulling a utility trailer with my quad or zero turn.

Sounds like what I use my A5 for :lol:(JK, I managed to fit a 55" tv in the trunk once at Best Buy now all of a sudden it's a utility vehicle).

But perhaps a nice sporty wagon can take care of your needs?

Option 1 though for sure.

or this

6a00d83451b18a69e20133f499dc67970b-600wi.jpg

Changing my vote, doesn't matter since you'll end up with an auto with either. Zero.zero.

Lol. I love driving a manual, really do, but I could go either way on this one.

Note: I will buy a C7 Corvette GS with a manual in the next few years (once I build a pole barn) as a toy.

I love wagons. CTSV wagon is a dream car for me but they are price stupidly right now. That being said, I own 5 wooded acres with a 1 acre pond now and will need a pickup from time to time. Otherwise I would keep the Suburban. A good example is I have to take my trash to the road which is a quarter mile from my house.

Lol. I love driving a manual, really do, but I could go either way on this one.

Note: I will buy a C7 Corvette GS with a manual in the next few years (once I build a pole barn) as a toy.

Why wait? Depreciation?

Why get a GS if you don't plan on racing or tracking? Just for the hard-parking points? You'll pay a lot more for extra complexity you won't use, and get a car that is LESS useful on the street.

I love wagons. CTSV wagon is a dream car for me but they are price stupidly right now. That being said, I own 5 wooded acres with a 1 acre pond now and will need a pickup from time to time. Otherwise I would keep the Suburban. A good example is I have to take my trash to the road which is a quarter mile from my house.

You have a quarter mile driveway? Really? Damn.

Realistically, you can likely do anything you'll need to with ANY car that can pull a small utility trailer, and NOT have to pay extra insurance, maintenance, storage, and all that bullshit for another vehicle. 5 acres is easy. Shit, a quad would be more than you need

You have a quarter mile driveway? Really? Damn.

Realistically, you can likely do anything you'll need to with ANY car that can pull a small utility trailer, and NOT have to pay extra insurance, maintenance, storage, and all that bullshit for another vehicle. 5 acres is easy. Shit, a quad would be more than you need

I have a quad with a trailer and snow blade. It works wonderfully :). It is how I currently get the trash to the curb.