Another “help me pick a car” thread

caseyctsv

A good example is I have to take my trash to the road which is a quarter mile from my house.

All the more reason to get a sporty wagon. Take out the trash while putting down some sick ET times.

Not sure what S4 wagon prices are nowadays compared to a CTS-V wagon, but you'll get quattro so you won't get stuck in the mud/snow. Just saying.

New trucks are nice and all, but I miss the old days where trucks were still trucks. Like if there's no risk of getting tetanus from opening up your tailgate, it's not a truck.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All the more reason to get a sporty wagon. Take out the trash while putting down some sick ET times.

Not sure what S4 wagon prices are nowadays compared to a CTS-V wagon, but you'll get quattro so you won't get stuck in the mud/snow. Just saying.

New trucks are nice and all, but I miss the old days where trucks were still trucks. Like if there's no risk of getting tetanus from opening up your tailgate, it's not a truck.

I would love an AWD vehicle - I have about 4 miles to get to a main road so, if/when we get snow it would be handy. I also love the Avant...going to autotrader...

Leave the Suburban outside, buy trailer, leave that outside too. Build barn, buy a different toy if you want.

Or just give up and get a Speed3. We are too old to not have fun all the time, must have good car to have fun with whenever the need arises. Not a daily, something special.

If you up your beater truck budget to 10-15k you can buy a nice enough truck that you won't hate spending time in it on a daily basis but you also won't mind using it as a truck.

I've had a beater truck before that ended up not being capable to tow with nor nice enough to really want to spend any time in it, and I regretted having the thing around after a short period of time.

I'm not sure I could spend big money for a top of the line new truck, but I'll probably forever have "nice enough" trucks in my lineup to use as a daily on crap days and tow stuff around for 6-8 hour hauls on the weekend still.

6.7 Cummins and a Miata or similar

I'd rather have a very very nice daily that isn't loud and can fare well in anything than a nice sports car and a beater truck. Youll get nickel and dimed to death on a POS truck.

Brake lines, trans, brakes, bearings, suspension, shocks, bushings, rusty panels, rusted bed. The list goes on and labor isn't cheap when stuff gets rusty

For example the last cheap truck I bought

Needed within the first months ownership

-Transfer case

-Trans

-Outer tie rod ends

-Belt

-Knock sensors/wire harness

-Plugs/wires

What it needed asap

-Fuel lines

-Brake lines

-Trans and oil cooler lines

-U-joints

Add up all that labor cost and parts mark up at a shop even without the trans and transfer case issues and it is likely $3k+ on top of what you already paid for the truck. Not to mention you still have to deal with the cigarette smoke left from the previous owner, the rips in seats, pet hair, etc.

Beater trucks are cool, but definitely need a lot of DIY TLC to be cost effective.

Find a 3.0 wagon and flash a Stage 1 Tune on it and enjoy. Better yet get one of the many piggy back Stage 1 tunes and just pull it off when going in for service. There was black / silver one in Cinci at the dealer next to Dubwerx in Cinci not long ago.

http://www.modbargains.com/images/Products/SoloWerks/Audi-B8-A4-Avant-Solo-Werks-Coilovers-Avant_Garde_M510_IMG001.JPG

I just don’t have the room for it. I will build pole barn at some point.

If you don't have room for the Camaro, how will you have room for it's replacement?

I guess I would sell everything, buy a nice truck, build the barn, then buy a C7.

As far as trucks go, the higher trim levels kind of seem like a waste to me. The Denali and all that stuff is pretty sweet, don't get me wrong, but is it worth the extra money? Truck prices are already ridiculous as it is IMO. And if I spent a lot of money on a high end truck, I would be hesitant to actually use it as a truck, which kind of defeats the purpose.

Personally I would go with a 2010-13 Sierra with the 6.2L.......

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/B42Un1GiLITNC1MUMbYKaxvgCSyIWmIJP2OIyCREgvWkauXMJvR19KWkQMCP0CQjQLFj_GBK5Qe9P_ccrhoQkMU=s640

or if you want something newer, a 2016+ Silverado. The LS trim has a "Custom" package with the V8, 4WD, body colored bumpers, 20" wheels, and that's about it. That's all I would really want, YMMV. It's a really good looking truck for the money.....

a13d1555e075305ee0c711fe98873320.jpg