Charger/Challenger - a winning formula?

zeitgeist57

Another year, another new package for the oldest model lineup sold in America without a major redesign (so it feels)...

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2018/03/shake-like-polaroid-picture-new-shakedown-package-challenger/#more-1616404

Here’s the thing....they are STILL selling a ton of Challengers (over 60k a year!). It’s relatively cheap and the platform works. In a way, I respect that FCA hasn’t needed to redesign this lineup because it hasn’t needed it. Makes me think that the used market will be flush with these things in a few years...

I think the same can be said for the Jeep Grand Cherokee slash Durango. I ended up buying a Durango and it is brilliant. It's been around the same time as the charger and challenger

Congrats on the buy! Let's see some pics of the beast. :p

The SN197 mustang was sold for 10 years with only one major face lift. They sold more of them than dodge has sold challengers and it hasn't hurt depreciation any.

I think what dodge has tapped into is that the V8 market wasn't ready to move up line like ford and GM were pushing and it left a lot of buyers behind who don't want v6 or 4 cyl turbo mustangs and camaros 300hp or not. Since the tooling on the challenger has been paid for long ago dodge can just keep cranking them out at 2009 prices and pick up everyone ford and chebby left behind.

The SN197 mustang was sold for 10 years with only one major face lift. They sold more of them than dodge has sold challengers and it hasn't hurt depreciation any.

I think what dodge has tapped into is that the V8 market wasn't ready to move up line like ford and GM were pushing and it left a lot of buyers behind who don't want v6 or 4 cyl turbo mustangs and camaros 300hp or not. Since the tooling on the challenger has been paid for long ago dodge can just keep cranking them out at 2009 prices and pick up everyone ford and chebby left behind.

My drug dealer loves his.

No redesign but man, any of them older than 6 or so years just need SO much work.

Because of deferred maint where owners treat it like its a Honda? Or does the car legit just wear out from build quality like its a third gen camaro?

I had high hopes for my scat pack and Chrysler’s rep for terrible quality. I was disappointed after I had the radiator replaced, and was advised the trans and maybe rear would need rebuilt or replaced also. All this at under 30k miles, so I traded it in. It was fun as hell though and maybe I just didn’t drive it enough?