'89 Mustang

excell

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got frisky this afternoon. Instead of, you know, getting paid to work I slacked off and did the valvetrain. :D Trick Flow 1.6 stud mount rockers all preloaded in.

uXHKVuCh.jpg

Modeling my valve covers to protect the hotness until tomorrow...

CslMiOnh.jpg

Really is. Could always get a set of these... :D

Those are neat too lol. I would be worried they would get brittle over time though.

She is definitely becoming more race car lol. If memory serves me correctly, mine use to have a sweet spot around 13-14 degrees timing for what it's worth.

She is definitely becoming more race car lol. If memory serves me correctly, mine use to have a sweet spot around 13-14 degrees timing for what it's worth.

Yea, this is Dyno Brian's recommended starting point. Since he's gonna be tuning it. :D

Yea, this is Dyno Brian's recommended starting point. Since he's gonna be tuning it. :D

Right, it is a safe place to start. Brian is a wiz with the ol' 5.0L lol. He use to tune my cousins 86 gt. We had it set up with a 347 stroker, novi 2000 supercharger, and a shit ton of nitrous :lol:

We had it set up with a 347 stroker, novi 2000 supercharger, and a shit ton of nitrous :lol:

Maybe next year... ;) Actually, once I get this built and running well I'll do gears and a roll bar next spring, then a blower.

Welp, that's it. I lost the race....

You, too, can completely derelict your work duties to spend time on building race car. :D Sadly, I am traveling essentially every week for the next 6 weeks, so we'll see how much time I have left. Hence the push to get this done -- my clients are gonna get a pound of flesh out of me the next month or so, and I couldn't leave without getting that engine together.

Damn that’s a lotta shiny...

Every time ya' come around my city...

Got a little more progress yesterday. Headers bolted up to the exhaust, GOD DAMN FUCKING oil dipstick FINALLY in which wasted nearly 2 fucking hours. Garage cleaned. Eibach sway bars in :D and some engine odds and ends in. Getting down to major systems now -- A/C, charging, cooling, etc.

jXGJsWeh.jpg

Wee progress. 30# fuel injectors and Aeromotive AFPR in, spark plugs in, O2 sensors changed, headers bolted up to H pipe, headlight pigtails for one piece headlights soldered on, and got organized for starting the accessory systems. Going out of town for a week and a half :( so this is it for a bit.

ujG0UEeh.jpg

Wee more progress. Starting to hide the bling behind accessories. Some day I might take the brackets back off and have them powdercoated but I kept forgetting and now I just want to finish up. Power steering pump and A/C compressor on, and a few bits you can't see.

UxojklJh.jpg

Got some mo' progress.

Alternator bracket and 3G alternator in (still need to do wiring), 134a A/C condenser, SVE aluminum radiator, and SVE electric fans in. I have a really nifty one piece radiator hold down brace too but it didn't work with the electric fans out of the box. Will revisit that later.

lKyw4sdm.jpgZxVQQcdm.jpghvp8670m.jpg

A2ev2BHh.jpg

VYapojFh.jpg

:(

XFrJLYbh.jpg

Kinda pissing the wife off now... BUT.

Got the electric fans completely wired in... and all of the other wiring done -- everything tucks nicely under the factory wiring cover -- fuel pump, 3G alternator, and fans. Some more cleanup and general "plugging shit back in" and the hoses set up. Already hating that I used the worm clamps from the hose kit, should have bought wormless clamps. Will revisit. Plenty of cloth tape used for that factory look.

zHvnJC5l.jpg

Test fit under the cover...

2FkF3FPl.jpg

Fans from a good angle

boGhyU4l.jpg

Almost looks like an engine again...

FsQY4XRl.jpg

Lots of little odds and ends yet, but only big things left are the upper intake (prepped and ready to bolt on already), A/C lines, and vac lines.