Need RV Advice

Dharris89

I need some RV advice. I have my dad’s 2003 Traillite Model B+. It only has 11,600 miles on the 6.0l ls motor but has been sitting for several years. I jumped it and it runs fine but did throw a check engine light. After cleaning it up the floor in the back is a little “soggy” and the awning is shot.

So where would you take your RV? He bought it from Alum Creek but that was 15 years ago so I have no idea if they are good. It’s going to need some love and I know nothing about RV’s.

If anyone on the north side wants to give me a crash course in RV’ing I’ll buy some beer or ammo. Thanks

Probably needs a new floor if it's soggy. Look for water leaks and water damage elsewhere.

Im assuming it needs a new floor. I also can’t get any of the electrical stuff in the living section to turn on. Bump for any one with suggestions on who or where to go.

I'd first figure out what your budget is going to be.

I can't imagine the floor replacement will be cheap since any cabinets are built on top of it.

Most of the electrical will be 12v. you can probably troubleshoot yourself if you can figure out where the wires run.

I'd first figure out what your budget is going to be.

I can't imagine the floor replacement will be cheap since any cabinets are built on top of it.

Most of the electrical will be 12v. you can probably troubleshoot yourself if you can figure out where the wires run.

Yea so apparently there is a “master” switch that turns everything on. Once that was flipped stuff turned on. So that was a cheap fix as I admit I know nothing about RV’s.

As far as the floor I’m assuming a couple grand. From the videos I’ve been watching it looks like it’s similar to house construction. Everything will have to come out but I’m fine with that as I’ll update the floor covering, paint etc. So far I’m in it for $20 in fresh gas and some fluids so it’s worth it to get it fixed up. Thanks for your help! Please keep the advice coming if anyone has a place or person that can do this type of work.

You'll want to check for roof leaks really carefully before you get too far with the floor. It shouldn't have gone soft that fast unless it was getting wet somehow.

The biggest culprits are usually around vents or seams.

You'll want to check for roof leaks really carefully before you get too far with the floor. It shouldn't have gone soft that fast unless it was getting wet somehow.

The biggest culprits are usually around vents or seams.

Definitely. I’m still looking but I’m 90% sure the water came in under the rear door. The vehicle was parked on a downward incline and against my dad’s garage which has a rain gutter. The seal under the door is shot and my thought is water was running off the roof and onto the back where the door is. Gravity then pulled it underneath the door. The floor is also the worst right by the door. At least that’s my thought so far. Thanks

For sure find where the waters coming in from first and foremost to stop it from getting worse. Check the entire roof, near the antenna, Check the ac and pull the cap off as this is another place where it comes in from commonly. Try also window trims,doors pretty much any where water could think of coming in from. most likely from some where on the roof.

Another thing to check is your water lines make sure they didn't burst and its brining in water that way.

Join a facebook group for rvs and motor homes (not just a class b page do them ALL) TONS AND TONS of people willing to help. this is going to be your best bet to see if you can do it on your self.

Awnings can get expensive to repair, is the material shot or the frame or both? Might be worth a shot to find a rv salvage yard for a replacement.

You can do that awning yourself....with a helper or two. Tons of YouTube videos on replacing them. Helped my buddy do his last year. Pretty straight forward really. If you have any construction experience at all you could tackle that floor.

Like everyone else has said...make sure you find the leak first and fix that. Whether it's the door or whatever. Check up the walls and make sure there's no rot up the walls. Not sure if that has aluminum or wood studs. Hopefully aluminum. Recaulk around roof vents with dicor and proflex or eternabond tape.